Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Where is the worst place you have ever traveled to?

The absolute worst would be difficult to chose between Tangiers, Cairo, Aswan, Ouagadougou, Khajuraho, and Jakarta. I swear I will never return to any of them.

Southport on a rainy Tuesday out of season. It was a family outing and i was young so I couldn’t drink or get stoned. I remember watching the rain running down the window of the cafe we were in nursing a weak cup of tea and trying to eat a really shit plate of fish and chips.
To be fair that just as be any summer Tuesday in Southport as well. :)

The absolute worst would be difficult to chose between Tangiers, Cairo, Aswan, Ouagadougou, Khajuraho, and Jakarta. I swear I will never return to any of them.

I thought Tangiers was alright. We'd been In Morocco over a month by that point though. Can see it would be awful if you'd not long arrived.

I thought Tangiers was alright. We'd been In Morocco over a month by that point though. Can see it would be awful if you'd not long arrived.
You're probably right. I got into a punchup 15 minutes after arriving on the midnight ferry from Algerciras. Serves me right for trying to defend his original target (a timid elderly American) who arrived on the same ferry.

30 years ago we planned a weekend walking in the Blaenau Festiniog area , "reasonable time of year" - started badly with some fighting drunks on the local train , which being as 3 of the 4 travelers were BR staff - we felt obliged to help the guard to remove them off the train (at a station) , - they had no tickets anyway and were less than co-operative. Great start.

We got to BF in the dark on a Friday evening - next day it rained like it was the end of the world. An attempt to go walking was rebuffed within 100 yards. We played Monopoly all day. So we went for a drink- something to eat -3 pubs then , one so anti-"foreigners" we left within a minute , the other not dissimilar - left in 10 mins , the other was an absolute dump with no decent beer and an age range of 80 to 90 years old. The chip shop never opened , so we survived on crap beer and crisps.

Sunday - it rained heavily all day. Thank God there was a Festiniog steam train to Minfford , which connected with the only train of the day towards Shrewsbury . We consoled ourselves with large brandies (medicinal) and decent draft beer. I actually do want to do some of those epic walks up to the hills, disused quarries etc , - but just have not got round to it. One day perhaps.

Great heritage railway to and from Blaenau; I find it hard to find any other redeeming features about the place.
Was staying in the Lakes once and decided on a trip to the coast. We chose Barrow in Furness. I don't remember it having much going for it.
Hartlepool. visited in a wet, grey autumn day for a footie match. It hardly endeared itself to me.

But Blackpool is party town. Go for a ride on a roller coaster, put on a kiss me quick hat, get pissed, do something inappropriate. What's not to like.

I've driven round it three or four times. Every time I've ended up in the wrong lane at some point. I excuse it by having a foreign car that doesn't understand roundabouts.

You can always just stick to the far left lane all the way round. Well, you can on the Swindon one. Looking at that Hemel Hempstead one half the mini roundabouts have three-lane approaches with left turn only lanes and half don't. It must've been a real sick puppy who designed that.

The worst place I've ever been is Calais. In my mental dictionary the very name is filed as a synonym for dread.

You can always just stick to the far left lane all the way round. Well, you can on the Swindon one. Looking at that Hemel Hempstead one half the mini roundabouts have three-lane approaches with left turn only lanes and half don't. It must've been a real sick puppy who designed that.

Use it all the time - I used to run my eldest to the station in Hemel for work , it is fine as long as everyone uses their indicators and drives slowly enough , with a bit of respect. Which to be fair - they generally do. Some artic truck off the M1 turned up once - and he did not have a clue , plus he pretty well shut the job up due to the trailer length. Apart from that - fine - (there are worse , trust me, ordinary roundabouts n Herts and the one at Brent Cross at the bottom of the M1 takes extreme bravery at any time)

30 years ago we planned a weekend walking in the Blaenau Festiniog area , "reasonable time of year" - started badly with some fighting drunks on the local train , which being as 3 of the 4 travelers were BR staff - we felt obliged to help the guard to remove them off the train (at a station) , - they had no tickets anyway and were less than co-operative. Great start.

We got to BF in the dark on a Friday evening - next day it rained like it was the end of the world. An attempt to go walking was rebuffed within 100 yards. We played Monopoly all day. So we went for a drink- something to eat -3 pubs then , one so anti-"foreigners" we left within a minute , the other not dissimilar - left in 10 mins , the other was an absolute dump with no decent beer and an age range of 80 to 90 years old. The chip shop never opened , so we survived on crap beer and crisps.

Sunday - it rained heavily all day. Thank God there was a Festiniog steam train to Minfford , which connected with the only train of the day towards Shrewsbury . We consoled ourselves with large brandies (medicinal) and decent draft beer. I actually do want to do some of those epic walks up to the hills, disused quarries etc , - but just have not got round to it. One day perhaps.

Ha. It has a reputation, suspect its not as bad now though. I do a lot of work in the area, there's a nice hostel and a pub above it with a cinema, all set in the old police station, so would be worth a look.

I found morecambe a really sad and dull place, but didn't dislike it.

Amsterdam however I hate.

I've had to go there for work and stayed in the canals are over a weekend. The amount of braying English men and women from all areas of the UK essentially coming over to get stoned and fuck a prostitute made me detest the very soul of the place. To be fair it probably wasn't the city, it was the people in the city that made it the worst place.

Went on a short break once ages ago that revolved around Aberystwyth....it rained a lot and there wasn't much to do that didn't involve being outside. Like a monsoon, Unlikely to return

Having travelled SE Asia a bit I do judder when I see adverts for some places; why go there etc? Eg some of the cities

Back
Top Bottom