Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jamaican 50th Independence Musical Countdown!

disregarding our alphabethical research project, this '67 stomper i like:

just to clarify as to why i like this tune: the use of the amazed and excited extras is sublime. have a listen how they get super excited when the train finally arrives in rainbow city. and how they put in a bit of silence at the grave of the dead rude boy. and of course they don't stop in phoenix city because it's a monday and everybody understands. :)
it really takes you on a journey and it feels like you are bang in the middle of it all. much more so than the prince buster version. (having said that, the prince buster version is cool as fuck as well)

btw ska - i just listened to all those ^^ tracks in the headphones. i reckon mono is the way to go for that dub ;)

We seem to be spending a lot of time in the 60's, we have quite a few decades get through before August.
So if we could edge our way towards the 70's may I introduce these please.
The first one reminds me of quid deals on stairways at house parties. :D

The second is just my man. The Stepping Razor

We seem to be spending a lot of time in the 60's, we have quite a few decades get through before August.
So if we could edge our way towards the 70's may I introduce these please
hold that thought spliff! This has all bean carefully planned to go up a year at a time - today will be 1968, tomorrow 69, day after 1970, landing on 2012 on August 6th. 70s soon come :D

Another year, another innovation: '68 the official year of the birth of reggae, with Larry Marshall & Alvin Perkins - Nanny Goat definitely one of the very first to have that signature two-note skank

Flagging this one also allows the opportunity to pay respects to Count Matchuki, who deejays over this Sound Dimension instrumental piece of the riddim ( Goes out to Steph ;) )

Supposedly Matchuki got his name from his habit of chewing matchsticks (love that!). Worked on a number of sounds including Coxsone's Downbeat Sound System, and is credited as the first to talkover/deejay songs, emulating the jive talk of American radio DJ's (at the request of Dodd). He's also been credited as the originator of beatboxing, adding what he called "peps" to records that he thought sounded weak. In the late 1960s, with little financial reward or recognition of his work he left the music industry.

I want to squeeze in one more here - 1968 is synonymous in my mind as a year of civil rights struggles (particularly in the US and Europe I guess), and it was also the year Martin Luther King Jr was assassinated, so it seems fitting to post this Heptones cut, which the youtube uploader has dubbed a couple of MLK quotes over

hold that thought spliff! This has all bean carefully planned to go up a year at a time - today will be 1968, tomorrow 69, day after 1970, landing on 2012 on August 6th. 70s soon come :D
Sorry mate didn't realise about the plans. I was just impatient, sorry if I interrupted the flow.
I can think of quite a few very mucky tunes from the 70's This could be fun.

i reckon that's the most 'reggae' of 67 and very pioneering. the brass arrangements and general tidyness really make it stand out.
yeah that one really took me aback - never heard before - what a tune (ken boothe black gold & green) - looking it up i think its a 70s tune though :hmm: 71/72 ish

beautiful studio 1 rocker from '68 (with these tracks you can definitely hear people moving on from rocksteady and entering a new phase of jamaican music):

Supposedly Matchuki got his name from his habit of chewing matchsticks (love that!). Worked on a number of sounds including Coxsone's Downbeat Sound System, and is credited as the first to talkover/deejay songs, emulating the jive talk of American radio DJ's (at the request of Dodd). He's also been credited as the originator of beatboxing, adding what he called "peps" to records that he thought sounded weak. In the late 1960s, with little financial reward or recognition of his work he left the music industry.

fantastic! great story!

Sorry mate didn't realise about the plans. I was just impatient, sorry if I interrupted the flow.
I can think of quite a few very mucky tunes from the 70's This could be fun.
i for one am really looking forward to the seventies. great variety of tunes to be had there. come monday we're off!

what an outfit! 'if you knew' in 67, now this. very impressive track record!
its not the most perfect bit of music but i do love it. Theres this update/version of it from 76 too, which is doing it too
Jah Bring I Joy in the Morning - Bobby Melody

its not the most perfect bit of music but it do love it. Theres this update/version of it from 76 too, which is doing it too
Jah Bring I Joy in the Morning - Bobby Melody

yeah, but i much prefer the gaylads. more soulful imo. that bobby melody one loses a bit of charm with this very tidy production.

...and more women we have right here:

i find the keyboard in the beginning very 66, but once the first verse kicks in it's full on 68. great song.

great 68 album:

prince_rough2.jpg

1968 was also the year desmond dekker enjoyed his first jamaican charts appearance with 'music like dirt':

in the same year he recorded 'israelites', which, in 1969, topped the british charts and became the first jamaican US top ten hit.

just a little thought on the side - the beatles' obladi oblada was also released in 1968, which i find very interesting as it marks the beginnings of an ever-growing love affair between western pop and carib niche music. the beginning of cod reggae and all.
reggae nowadays really is the most widely accepted and integrated 'world music' there is....who would have thought, back in 1968, eh?!?

Back
Top Bottom