Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jamaican 50th Independence Musical Countdown!

Record Collector magazine has just published its own countdown - 10 tracks per year, 500 in all - Ive scanned and posted them on the blog
http://mikusmusik.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/ja50-countdown-500-more-nuggets.html

for example
ja50_2.JPG

BBC 1 Extra visited Tuff Gong Studios as part of the 50 years celebration. This is worth a watch and dont be put off by Elephant Man killing Half Pints classic in the first few minutes!

Yo it's me again.

Not a natural Beenie Man fan, but thought his cover of Everything I Own was spot on (despite the slightly suspect runny nose :eek:)

Capleton's version of Raggy Road was great too.

Great watch this.....

The Roaring Twenties and Columbo's
The Roaring Twenties was a London nightclub in the 1960s which played R&B and ska reggae.. The first DJ was Count Suckle, who was followed by Duke Vin and Lloyd Coxsone. Later it was called Columbo’s, with Coxsone continuing there with Denzil Exodus, before the club closed in the early 1980s.
For Carnaby Echoes, legendary DJ Lloyd Coxsone, who played at the Roaring Twenties in the 60s and 70s, returned to the basement of what is now a Ben Sherman shop with a sound system and playlist related to the club. He was joined by Denzil Exodus, Mikey Foreigner and others. The film also includes extracts from interviews with Count Suckle, who started the club in 1961, and Island Records artist Tony Washington, who was a frequent visitor.

Last edited:
Wasnt sure where to put this, but this thread seemed good as any - just put together a youtube playlist of some of the earliest recordings with lyrics relating to aspects of Rastafari...broadly in order of oldest first... not complete of course, just some choice moments

Etheopia - Lord Lebby and The Jamaican Calypsonians 1955
Night Fall In Zion - Laurel Aitken 1958
Babylon Gone - Count Ossie & The Wareikas 1962
Press Along - Zoot Simms 1963
Golden Pen - Zoot Sims 1963
Addis Ababa - The Skatalites 196?
Jericho - Laurel Aitken 1964
Marcus Garvey - The Skatalites 1965
Rasta shook them up - The Wailers 1966
Free love - Prince Buster 1967
Selassie - The Reggae Boys 1969?
Peter Tosh & U Roy - Rightful Ruler 196?
Satta Massagana - The Abyssinians 1967 (released in 1969)
Zion Higher - Burning Spear 1972?

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL89E1LiyfAs8GaaEOGi-CJrxtJN5pHpzo

I
f anyone knows of any more please let me know, id be happy to grow the list

Last edited:
brilliant! Adding all these to the playlist

delroy is only aged 13 on that lion of judah track! i was going to say it doesnt really sound like him

Wasnt sure where else to put this - really interesting interview with RIBS from UK sound Unity - lots of details on UK sounds from Back In the Day

Back
Top Bottom