Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jamaican 50th Independence Musical Countdown!

Also from 2011 - less and less new music worth buying :(, but the odd gem still coming through.

Two cuts on Augustus Pablo's No Entry rhythm:

Heartless - Tetrack ~ Great tune from an original Pablo singing trio.

Anywhere I Go - Wolete Seyon

And a mention for the Tuff Scout label which emerged in 2011, a collaboration by Jake from the Up At Out On The Floor shop in Camden and old school producer Gil Cang.

Truths & Rights - Ramon Judah

Everyday Thing - Hue B

Meltdown - Robert Lee

6th August 2012

Great work ska, thanks for all your hard work, I've really enjoyed coming along for the ride.

Applause_meter_1.jpg

happy 50th everybody!

ska - thank you so much for the greatest thread ever! i had a lot of fun and learned a lot more than expected. plenty of great contributions from everybody!

now that this is done - can we go back to the cod reggae thread, please?!?

just moving this here to have it at the end chronologically ;)

6th August 2012

Today is the day: 50 years of independence, and 50 years of amazing music, right from the word go…won’t wax lyrical about all the incredible achievements and influences that Jamaican musicians are responsible for, as if you’re reading this you’ll know that already. A treasure trove of music whose legacy will last for ever…I’m sure the best is still to come...

Thanks to everyone who shared their favourites from the last half-century – there’s a nice record of that countdown to be found here for prosperity: http://tinyurl.com/jamaicanindependence50 …looking forward to rereading that in the future.

I’ll be carrying on the musical celebrations with four mixes over the next four days, starting today with a tribute to the prodigious talents of Dennis Brown, followed tomorrow by a Greensleeves 12inch tribute, a then a modern roots and dub selection, and finishing on a meditative dub set.

If you’re in London still plenty of chances to celebrate JA music this summer…One Love festival down the road in Kent and King Earthquake at the Coronet next weekend, and a special Notting Hill Carnival still to come, amongst lots of other dances I’m sure.

I should’ve posted this at the start of the countdown, but only stumbled on it after we started, but it makes a fitting conclusion too...a poem written 50 years ago by one of Jamaica’s most celebrated poets, Louise Bennett-Coverley aka Miss Lou….

Independence

Independence wid a vengeance!
Independence raisin' cain!
Jamaica start grow beard, ah hope
We chin can stan' de strain

Wen dog mawga him head big an
Wen puss hungry him nose clean
But every puss an dog noh know
Wat Independence mean

Matty seh it mean we facety
Stan up pon we dignity,
An we don't allow nobody
Fe teck liberty wid we.

Independence is we nature
Born an bred in all we do
An she glad fe se dat Govament
Tun Independent to.

She hope dem caution worl' map
Fe stop draw Jamaica small
For de lickle speck can't show
We Independantness at all!

Moresomever we mus' tell map dat
We don't like we position
Please kindly tek we out o' sea
An draw we in de ocean

Wat a crosses! Independence
Woulda never have a chance
Wid so much boogooyagga
Dah expose dem ignorance.

Dog wag him tail fi suit him size
An match him stamina,
Jamaica people need
a Independence formula!

No easy-come-by freenis tings
Nuff labour, some privation,
Not much of dis an less of dat
An plenty studiration.

Independence wid a vengeance,
Wonder how we gwine to cope,
Jamaica start smoke pipe, ah hope
We got nuff Jackass Rope!

JA50 Dennis Brown Tribute

Dennis+Brown+Jamaican+Independence+Mix.jpg

Dennis Brown Tribute

No Man is an Island
Created by the Father
There Must Be A Fight
Concentration
Look What You're Doing to Me
Show us the Way
Run Too Tuff
Easy Take it Easy
Deliverance Will Come
Want to Be No General
General featuring Ranking Dread
Promised Land
Satisfaction Feeling
No More Will I Roam
Westbound Train
Wolves and Leopards
If You're Right Help The Poor
Emanuel God is With Us
Let Love In
Let Love in Dub
Here I Come

http://mikusmusik.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/ja50-dennis-brown-tribute.html

c8840690-28dc-4c71-9197-0e1afecb4cff.jpg

I've moved away from my usual dance hall leanings to put together a mix of sweet reggae music.

Mostly new tunes and put together to celebrate Jamaica's 50 years of independence on 6th August 2012.

Stream: http://www.mixcloud.com/RichieBlood/jamaica-50-mix/
Download: http://www.sendspace.com/file/t6jg64

Blend Mishkin - Unconditional Love ft Peppery
Mandinka Warrior & Mr.Williamz - Herbz for me
Gyptian - Reggae Morning
J Boog - Low The Guns
Fresharda - Cycle
Norris Man - Ghetto Life
Busy Signal - Dat Me Love
Romain Virgo - Live Mi Life
Agent Sasco - Still A Carry On
I-Octane - Keep On Walkin
Konshens - Hard Fi Love
J Boog - Love me
Bugle - Its a journey
Tarrus Riley - Sorry is a sorry world
Capleton - Fire Fire
Collie Buddz - I Feel So Good
Gaza Slim & Vybz Kartel - Need Somebody
Collie Budz - Too Watchy
Gyptian - In my arms
Tarrus riley - Original Dancehall
Turbulence - Respect Woman
Warrior king - Time and Wisdom
Mr. Vegas - Sweet Jamaica
MR. Williamz - Set da standard
Agent Sasco - More dem a fight we
Mavado - Cant hold me again

its been a blast ...dont know about you but i really fancy hearing some 62 tunes today!! fancy going round again? :D

One day in '62 - Music veterans remember Independence Day
Published: Sunday | August 5, 2012 0 Comments Fab 5's Frankie Campbell
Layout1_1_PKM5SFirstfloAM.jpg

A large crowd watches as the float parade passes through May Pen on Independence Day 1962. - FileKen Boothe1 2 3 >Sadeke Brooks, Staff Reporter

For many Jamaicans, Independence Day is now just another public holiday. However, when Jamaica gained its Independence on August 6, 1962, it was cause for sheer joy, optimism and national pride. At the stroke of midnight, the British Union Jack was lowered and the black, green and gold Jamaican flag raised for the first time.

In addition to the flag-raising, the ceremony (which began at 11 p.m. on August 5) also featured a national parade and fireworks. There were approximately 20,000 people in attendance at the National Stadium, it was reported. Present were Sir Kenneth Lightbourne, Jamaica's first governor general, his wife, Lady Lightbourne, and Jamaica's premier, Sir Alexander Bustamante, who was later sworn in as Prime Minister. Also, there were Princess Margaret, representing The Queen of England, and her husband, the Earl of Snowdon. Dignitaries from other countries such as the United States, Australia and Pakistan witnessed the ceremony.

In a 2009 interview with The Sunday Gleaner, former Prime Minister Edward Seaga described the night as being one of the most memorable in his life.

"There was a glorious display of fireworks that went on for quite a while. It was very emotional because I was very involved in the event. I campaigned for it (Independence). It brought me to tears," said Seaga, who was the then minister of development and welfare in the Jamaica Labour Party-led government.
IMMENSE SIGNIFICANCE

For singer and record producer Derrick Harriott, the day had immense significance. Around that time, Harriott said he, along with his group, The Vagabonds, had the number-one song in the country. In addition, he said he was privileged to be part of the float parade.

"The excitement was there as usual with the float parade and while that was going on, I would be singing. I made festival songs before they had the Festival Song Competition in 1966 and that was Sugar Dandy and I Care," he told The Sunday Gleaner.

"There was a lot of joy and we were proud to be Jamaicans getting Independence. There was the float parade and then you go into the (National) Stadium and perform. That was really big. When we were declared an independent nation, it was such a proud moment."

Trying to break into the music industry at the time, but now a veteran artiste, Ken Boothe said the day was a joyful one.

"It was the most celebrated day. Emancipation Day, everything come in one. People feel better about freedom," said the singer, who placed second in the first Festival Song Competition in 1966 as a duo with Glen Adams, who passed away in 2010. The song was I Remember.

Boothe noted that unlike now, the society was "more together in mind and spirit".

The celebrations were not confined to Kingston, as there were activities around the island in places like Lionel Town, May Pen and Chapelton in Clarendon. But Edna Manley College of the Visual and Performing Arts lecturer and former member of Third World, Michael 'Ibo' Cooper, though a Clarendon resident, was not privy to these activities.

Only 10 years old at the time and tucked away in the rural community of Spalding, Clarendon, Cooper said the celebration he experienced was different from what other people in the Corporate Area had.

"Most of the excitement would have been centred around Kingston. We all had to go to school on August 6. The ceremony had the National Anthem and the raising of the new flag," he told The Sunday Gleaner, noting that the ceremony lasted for about an hour. He said there were a few perks to going to school on that day, as students were given a metal glass or cup with the Coat of Arms on it.

"Afterwards, we went home and listened to the proceedings on the radio," Cooper explained.

Having started playing the piano at six years old, Cooper said every morning he played the National Anthem that had been printed in The Gleaner. Although young, he was familiar with many political issues at the time because his father discussed them with him.

IMPROVEMENTS

In the years that followed, Cooper said the Jamaica Cultural Development Commission (JCDC) came into being and with that came Jamaica Festival, the Festival Song Competition and the Grand Gala. As time progressed, he said, there were also improvements in the equipment used at major events. And, as the technology improved, more people had access to television sets.

Fab 5's Frankie Campbell described Jamaica's Independence Day as a momentous occasion.

"In the early years, the celebration was tremendous. It was exciting times. Everybody was excited about Independence," he said.

Fab 5 has been together for 40 years and is heavily involved in the yearly Independence celebrations.

However, Cooper said things could have been done differently to mark Jamaica's 50th anniversary. "Coming down to the 50, both administrations should have done things differently. The celebration should have been a one-year period from August 6, 2012 to August 6, 2013 to give themselves more time and stretch it over a year," he said.

Harriott said the celebrations have changed over the years, sometimes improving, while at other times it has fallen off. However, he is hoping for better.

"I love Jamaica bad. I just pray and hope that everything goes right and we just strive to be the best nation. We want to make it better and for them to present real good positive artistes who come out and make the type of music that our children can listen to," Harriott said.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20120805/ent/ent1.html

(63, i know, but it's been in my head all weekend)
yeah lets be too tight on that...;) byw im not going round again! but today im up for some 62ish tunes for sure

a little 62 musical feud :D :facepalm:
nice independence tune

buster said it was a bite of one of his tunes and made this response

from the thing im reading here it says"The problem lasted for two years until "the government finally asked us to stop, because it was causing too much trouble." :D

In 1962, tenor sax player Tommy McCook was asked to join the Studio One band, but "back then I was a John Coltrane disciple, I was into the jazz scene. I wasn't familiar with ska. I didn't start recording it until a year later, after listening to the music with Don Drummond. Then I thought I had the feel of it, so I decided to start recording. My jazz group had broken up and I'd joined Aubrey Adams's band, playing at the Courtleigh Manor hotel. We all played in big bands, we all came from a jazz influence. The ska that was being played changed when I joined the Studio One group. Before that it was a boogie kind of ska. After I joined it was a jazz-ska thing. I think "Exodus" was my first instrumental there, and then I started writing for Coxsone. People kept asking me who were the people on the records - they recognized my sound from the discs. So I'd tell them who was in the Studio One group, and when I went to the next session I told [the musicians] to form a group, because people were asking about them, and people would pay to say them. Jah Jerry said they'd form a group if I'd lead it. I said I couldn't, because I was still under contract to Adams. And they still said they'd only form it if I'd lead it. Eventually my contract with Aubrey was up, and I didn't sign back with him."

And so the most influential instrumental ska band, and certainly the most famous, began - the Skatalites.

whats the vocal cut to this?

Very old school that Maytals tune :) ..... will be seeing Toots n the Maytals (2012 version :D ) live at Beautiful Days in a coupla weeks time, Toots himself still going strong, respect! :)

Excellent thread, big thanks to ska and everyone else who contributed, I've now been exposed to plenty of top tunes I didn't previously know. Nice that Jamaica got gold and silver in the 100m, the day before the big day!

Excellent thread, big thanks to ska and everyone else who contributed, I've now been exposed to plenty of top tunes I didn't previously know. Nice that Jamaica got gold and silver in the 100m, the day before the big day!
I read yesterday that since drugs baron Dudus has gone down violent crime has fallen by 40% - that might be a tourist board figure, but lets hope its true... a new beginning? a good day to be optimistic ...

Back
Top Bottom