Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jamaican 50th Independence Musical Countdown!

:)
maybe we should set an urb dancehall work-out in london? :hmm:

also wrt row di boat: is keiva the only one doing it sitting down? i had practiced so hard in front of the mirror when, to great disapppointment, i stumbled across this:

looks like i will have to put a lot more hours in....

aha! I always thought he was dutch native

love this one...remember you playing this on your show earlier this year iirc :cool:

Nope, and now's he's relocated to a hippy commune/artists style island in western Canada.

Yes, I play The Answer a lot, the version is even better :)

On the rootsy side of things, still lots of big tunes out there....

I-Wayne really hit it right on this nice live instruments instrumental riddim
More Herbs I-Wayne + Lyrics

If I remember rightly this came out just after Jah Cure’s release from jail (lets not get into that) – great track anyhow, and all over the dial
Jah Cure – Sticky

And a global reggae hit from Alborosie
Alborosie track – Kingston Town

Nice selections ska. I like Sticky, but I was saddened to find that by the time he was released Cure's voice had taken on a more husky tone which made it less sweet to these ears. Whether through age or the harshness of prison life i don't know, but it was at this point I stopped buying all his releases on sight.

Couple of barnstorming UK releases from me from two producers; the first I associate with power and weight over craftsmanship, and sounding very good for it, the second making a very successful foray into the roots sound with an update of an old Mystic Eyes classic:

Teachings Of His Majesty - Barry Issac

Perilous Time - G Corp feat Messenger Douglas & Juggla

rip lucky dube xxx

dube2.jpeg

Can't remember if the Taxi Riddim's been covered, sure it has actually, but here's Buju.

Inspired by this I'm in the processes of laying down a track about not paying my TV licence.

So much good music posted here!

Seems a shame to leave 2005 with out a cut from the Seasons Rythm, avoiding the obvious Jah Cure (Love is) and Sean Paul (Never gonna be the same) i'm going to plump for this.

And as we've allowed Dr Ring Ding then I think our Bermudian friend Colloie Buddz should get a nod for this massive cross over hit in 2006.

Want to talk about two things for 2008 – daggering & the death of vinyl.

On the dancehall scene the sex-simulation daggering craze was at full thrust (ha ha) leading to pretty crazy scenes as dancers look for a new twist.

Some daggering action
(couldn’t find the video of people jumping off 3 meter high speaker stacks straight into a fellow dancers crotch…it’s a shame)

Early in 2009, partly in response to the daggering craze and associated songs and partly in response to Vybz Cartels explicit track Rampin’ Shop, Jamaican broadcasting authorities placed a blanket ban on all sexually explicit content, even if it was beeped or blanked out. Some people say this was just middle-class moralising on behalf of the authorities, but for what it’s worth (Jamaican radio and tv has by accounts long been restricting music coming from the streets) the ban remains.

In other news, after years of decline, and with pressings mainly for export for a long time anyhow, 2008 is as good a year as any to mark where vinyl passed into history in JA. Even the 20 vocals on one track Riddim CDs started to retreat, with mixtapes, dance recordings and bootleg CDs become the preferred formats. In fact many tunes don’t get released in any format in JA.

The death of vinyl put together with what some felt was an out of control dancehall scene felt like the end of an era for Jamaican music, and the growing role of producers outside of JA was brought increasingly into relief…which is fair enough considering some of the great music still being made abroad, such as this Manasseh production from ‘08

Bob Skeng The Lion - Version A De Priciple - from the Roots Garden Showcase Part

Apologies if this tune has already been posted, but I reckon this one portrays the optimism in 1962 for an independent Jamaica;
Move Up -Al & the Vibrators

I'm not Jamaican, and have never been there, but - like millions of people round the world - I owe a big debt to this little island. Ever since I was a little late 1970s wannabe punk, Jamaican music has entertained me, made me think, given me upliftment, the power to endure difficult times, spiritual guidance... I could go on! I love other musical genres as well, but ska/rocksteady/reggae in its various forms is the music I always return to.

Move Up Jamaica!

Wonderful thread, it's a real musical education! I don't regulary check into Urban so I sort of forgot about this. :oops: Now working my way through the tunes - currently up to around 1966. Keep em coming! (although I see things are nearly up-to-date)

Back
Top Bottom