Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jamaican 50th Independence Musical Countdown!

Capelton is another modern ‘conscious’ vocalist I have a problem with because of the regular homophobic content in tunes both old and new. Capelton started off in the early 90s as a straight-ahead slack deejay, before moving on to his militant brand of slew dem Rasta material later in the decade, and I guess its fair to say some part of that roughneck attitude never left him.

With their raw voices Capelton, much like fellow Bobo Shanti Sizzla, both bring a kind of orthodox righteous zeal to their lyrics, no doubt in some relation to the extreme social conditions – extremism doesn’t exist in a vacuum. Sizzla has his own catalogue of controversies too beyond homophobia, most recently for happily playing at Mugabe’s birthday celebrations in Zimbabwe.

Sizzla and Capelton also have in common an incredible output and work rate, which means a fair few dud tracks in their lengthy back catalogues, but despite all the negatives, on their day they have to be two of the most captivating and exciting vocalists of recent years. Some picks from 2004
Capleton - I see them Quaking

Capleton - That Day Will Come

Sizzla – Life

Sizzla - Bad Mind And Corrupt

Got to love Sizzla’s take on Bob Dylans subterranean homesick blues

Thought I should throw in an autotuned one – autotune everywhere around this time, and usually pretty annoying but it really suits this sticky cut
Marlon Asher - Ganja Farmer

On the Truth and Rights riddim this became an anthem
Richie Spice Youths A So Cold

One of the biggest tunes of the year has to be Baby Cham’s Ghetto Story

…which inspired this UK response from YT
YT - England Story (though I think this was 2006? never mind that)

and since we’re back in the UK, the Bush Chemists put out some great material around this time …love this:
The Bush Chemists - Raw Raw Dub

Quick catch up from the weekend, three completely different styles.

Monster UK Dub hit from Jah Warrior:

Rainbow Circle Throne - Jah Mason

A beautiful song from linen, big people music at it's very best:

Counting Hours - Terry Linen

Just One Of Those Days - Sizzla

Walk Away From Love was the hit but must give another mention to the Peckings brother' beautiful setting of modern vocals to classic Treasure Isle rhythms, still going strong.

Cruising - Bitty McClean

Earth A Run Red - Richie Spice

Back in the dancehall things are heating up, for the lady's the kneck-breaking Dutty Wine is the dance craze of the year, as captured on Tony Matterhorn's track

Whilst for the gents Ding Dong gets it just right with Badman Forward, Badman Pull - here's a clip of it blowing up a street party

but for me Ding Dong's version was just eclipsed by Elephant Man's version over the Global Riddim - never fails to get me hyped

Learn the dances here!

rip desmond dekker

DesmondDekkerD20050712.jpg

we wouldn't be here without you, respects rudie! xxx

Two massive tunes from European producers. Ryan 'Twilight Circus' Moore is a Canadian who was working in Holland when he made this, bringing great musical experience to traditional style production values and using Jamaican veterans, the second is from Sweden where digital reggae has a massive following, big tune.

We Can Make It Work - Lutan Fyah

Answer - Lancy Rankin

From 2005 roots in Jamaica moved towards reviving what became known as the One Drop sound, and Greensleeves capitalised on it with a new annual round up on CD.

One drop rhythm is a drumset playing style of reggae, popularized by Carlton Barrett, long-time drummer of Bob Marley and the Wailers, created by Winston Grennan, in which the backbeat is characterized by the dominant snare drum stroke (usually a click produced by hitting a rimshot) and bass drum both sounding on the third beat of every measure in 4/8 time (counting in 4/4 time, the drummer would leave beats one and three open), while beat one is left empty. Thus, the expected hit on beat one is "dropped," creating the one-drop effect. A good example of this drum beat is Bob Marley & The Wailers' song "One Drop", which talks about this rhythm.

Couple of big hits already mentioned above, and exemplified by the Drop Leaf rhythm, here's another couple:

Handcart Bwoy - Perfect

What Will It Take - Jah Cure

Back
Top Bottom