Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jamaican 50th Independence Musical Countdown!

i imagine some extra baggage charges on the way home :D

I sent them all home via Fed-Ex in two very heavy boxes. Astonishingly it wasn't that expensive, they both turned up unscathed, and arrived at my house the day after I did. Result.

While JA gets bashy, I thought I’d stop to mention the Dubhead label – kicking off around 1995 Dubhead put out a number of compilations which did a lot to popularise the predominantly UK, digi-dub sound, as well as releasing 12s and LPs from some of the featured artists.

In 1999 they put out Dubhead Soundclash Series Session One, lots of great tracks on this, but two true powerhouse cuts included
the eye watering Twilight Circus's Shaka Dub Plate

and
Iration Steppas – Rejection (Festival Mix)

…I think my favourite Iration Steppa’s recording this… really taking dub into a different direction… Mark Iration had a background in the early rave scene under the Ital Rockers monicker, and I think you can hear some of the ghosts of the rave scene in this track. In 1999 I used to do a mix of this track with the rave anthem Some Justice – I think the two tracks sit together really nicely: judge for yourself here:
Iration Steppas 'Rejection' vs. Urban Shakedown 'Some Justice'

rip dennis brown, you'll be missed.

title track of his last album:

on the same album he re-did 'no man is an island', as if he wanted to close the circle:

love that one.
btw do you have any thoughts on his overal guilt/innocence?

I don't know the truth, don't suppose we ever will. There were a number of serious issues with the way the case was tried and the evidence was all circumstantial, but on the other hand Rasta singers who claim to be religious and righteous can sometimes be completely the opposite.

There was also the distraction of the perpetual conspiracy theory that the Jamaican Government/CIA will always make sure any reggae singer who looks likely to become popular enough to influence the people will be murdered or imprisoned, citing as examples Marley, Tosh, Toots etc.

rip dennis brown, you'll be missed.

That's the main thing I remember of the year. Still my favourite singer.

Dennis+Brown+-+Visions+(1977).jpg

^ Definitely, I bought the first 50 or so sevens he put out, great combination of Barry Issac's music using Dougie Conscious for production and final mix. Dougie described Issac's style on the Blood & Fire board years ago as wanting every knob turned up bigger and louder. The reggae version of Lemmy (everything louder than everything else) :D

My People Calling - Jah Cure

Dung In Deh - Jah Cure

Not my usual style but I have a bit of a soft spot for this one:

I've Got News For You - Shalom

What a debut, and what a way to kick off the new millenium :

“The singer, Born Valton Craigie was born in England to Jamaican parent. VC moved to Jamaica at the age of 10 and spent years dabbling in the music industry in the United States and Jamaica before finding his niche. He always knew he wanted to be in the music business and worked as a deejay with “Legacy” sound system in the 1980’s and later at the night club. He was a sound engineer by profession and he produced other artistes before eventually becoming brave enough to stand on the other side of the Microphone…

Huge record that has something about it that gets a reaction outside of the usual audiences:
VC - By His deeds

Meanwhile in the UK:

Light Of The World - Bobby Blue

Proverbs - Daweh Congo

Jah Tubbys shifts up a gear:

Want No Wickedness - Danny Vibes ~ Not on Youtube :(

Look After Yourself - Tena Stelin

Great picks Ringo...Im a little burnt out at the moment, so please keep them coming into this decade!

Down by the river a big favourite - going to put it in to action tomorrow :cool:

In Berlin in 1993 Mark Ernestus and Moritz von Oswald formed the hugely influential techno project Basic Channel. Their stripped down tracks brought a minimalism to European techno, born in part of dub influences, in that the tracks were built for sound systems, avoided any clutter in the mix, and paid great care to the quality of sound experienced.

After just a couple of years they moved on from four to the floor techno and started experimenting with dub/roots under the name Rhythm & Sound. Although they kept some of the deep and minimal techno flavours in this material, the bringing on board of vocalists from the Caribbean helped to take the productions way beyond Berlin.

What followed was a string of unique releases over ten years, I think the last Rhythm & Sound release was in 2005, the brilliant See Mi Yah with Willi Williams and Jah Cotton on vocal duties. Today they continue to be involved in reggae in their running of the reissues programme for US label Wackies. The sound quality of their releases and pressings is hard to match, true also of the Wackies represses - quality on every level in fact.

In 2001 they released one of their standout tracks, King In My Empire featuring the legendary Cornel Campbell on vocals

Rhythm & Sound w/ Cornel Campbell - King In My Empire

… … and also this, featuring their collaborator from the start Tikiman on vocals
Rhythm & Sound with Tikiman - Jah Rule

and here’s one of the Wackies re-presses from 2001 which I’m pretty sure was on their watch – doesn’t feel at all out of place beside their own productions to my ears…
Naggo Morris - You Rest On My Mind (from 1982 I think)

pato banton gets a grammy nomination for best reagge album in 2001. congratulations from everybody here, mr banton!
here's 'go pato' (i love the children's choir):

Nice choices, I remember getting very excited when Basic Channel reissued the Horace Andy and Wayne Jarrett showcases on Wackies 10". Bought those Iration tunes too :)

But over in Jamaica...............

Virtuous Woman - Warrior King

From his prison cell Jah Cure managed to record tunes of astonishing quality:- Western Region

And even combination tunes:

Run Come love Me - Jah Cure

And JA star Luciano combined with Dub Syndicate for this sublime effort, my favourite of all his vocals:

One In A Billion - Luciano

Back
Top Bottom