Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jamaican 50th Independence Musical Countdown!

Ken boothe:

Possibly my favourite song, I've collected every version of it. My copy of that one cost me 50 quid but I play it a lot :)

I see we've swapped surnames for first names then hmmmm? <shines torch> OKAY then. :D

Possibly my favourite song, I've collected every version of it. My copy of that one cost me 50 quid but I play it a lot :)

I see we've swapped surnames for first names then hmmmm? <shines torch> OKAY then. :D
love this song too! wonderful all around :)

i just used first - or surnames, whatever came to mind first. i'm of course happy to stick to the rules, if there are any....:D

great thread btw :)

N is a tuffy so rules out the window :D

Nat Francis & Buster Junior - Just To Keep You.

Ska with Beatles influencd harmonies to these ears.

Prince Buster - Dance Cleopatra

One of the greatest pieces of ska ever recorded!

Originators - Watch Yourself

Hugely obscure but tough as leather.

was thinking of red hot iron but that's 67 i think....but this is great.

and for 'p' i was gonna post paragons, but you were quicker...

now for 'q'...give me a few minutes....

was thinking of red hot iron but that's 67 i think....but this is great.

and for 'p' i was gonna post paragons, but you were quicker...

now for 'q'...give me a few minutes....

Reckon we should have a Paragons anyway, seeing as so much of my stuff is Studio 1 and we need some more Treasure Isle. They released both On The Beach and Change Your Style that year, incredible tunes.

What a year! This has suddenly got right up there in my list of places in time I'd like to travel back to. Imagine settling down with a beer on the lawn watching Coxsone at one end, Treasure Isle stringing up at the other, Prince Buster round the corner, belting all these beauties out :cool:

....and derrick morgan finding his very own soulful interpretation of it all a few blocks down the road :)
let's do it ringo, i'll meet you there!

How are you doing with a Q? :D

I can't find one, will try and think of a song title. Was hoping Queen Majesty was '66, but it's '67.

Two R's:

The Rulers - Don't Be A Rude Boy

Lloyd Robinson & Glen Brown - Too late

just thought of lester sterling for 's', but it seems like he took a break from music in the very year 1966. plenty to be had before and after. bastard. we'll get him tomorrow.

'67 coud be THE best year to do this, so much good music in one year. I'm not at work tomorrow so I might not have time to do this :D:D

absolutely, 67 was a good year for music all over the world, especially jamaica. i prolly won't be around much tomorrow, so let's see if at least we can finish off today's list. a very compelling research project this is!

Back
Top Bottom