Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jamaican 50th Independence Musical Countdown!

Wailers, Joe White, Delroy Wilson, too much choice for W!

Reckon we'll be struggling with X & Y, but I have a Z :cool:

The legendary Delroy Wilson

Dancing Mood:

Here Comes The Heartache:

Riding For A Fall:

i've got a session to run now, looking forward to reading your xs, ys and zs when i get back. get cracking rocksteady heads! :)

great ws btw!

Y

Can't find one, just artists/songs with a Y in. Here's one of the better known:

Stranger & Patsy - Give Me The Right

that zoot simms one is bad
well done you two - expect the same ever day now!! :D
bravo-7466.gif

cool! i'll think about a q, x and y.

so - only 45 alphabets to go through now! great stuff, all in the name of jamaican independence :D

...is the year that under Coxsone's direction the Studio One house band Sound Dimension came together and laid down the most concrete of foundations. What with the number of Skatalites that played within the line-up, you get the sense that the last few years had been building to these magic moments. Real Rock the most versioned of all riddims, an indestructible piece of music... the magic three chords of Jackie Mintoo's organ,a 17 year old Vin Gordon on trombone, and Boris Gardiner's classic bassline - perfection.

Heavy Rock is another Sound Dimension classic from '67, and whats interesting about both these tracks is that they had dubs on the flipsides (on some releases), and relatively simple though they are (recorded on a two track mixer supposedly), there's no mistaking them as proper echoed-out dubs. There's a lot of different claims as to what is the first dub record, but the ones I've come across are always later than 67, and these Sound Dimension dubs don't seem to get a mention, even as early prototype examples, which seems a little amiss. The Heavy Rock dub is particularly powerful... another factor that makes these such crucial recordings.

Sound Dimension - Real Rock / Real Dub

Sound Dimension - Heavy Rock / Heavy Dub

'c':

i always liked the clarendonians' version of 'you won't see me': soulful vox, soulful playing, soulful, soulful, soulful!

'h':

proper rocksteady by the heptones. if that doesn't make you wanna shake your arse i don't know what will...

'k':

the kingstonians. (i think it's 67, some say it's 68, but what do i know...and i like it nevertheless)

Back
Top Bottom