Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Israel and hezbollah after the exploding pagers

Holy shit! Nearly 3,000 people injured!

Hezbollah member's daughter among victims killedpublished at 19:45 British Summer Time
19:45 BST​

Among the nine people killed is a girl, as we reported earlier.

The girl is the daughter of a Hezbollah member and died in east Lebanon's Bekaa Valley when his pager exploded, AFP news agency reports.

Nearly 3,000 are injured, according to Lebanon’s health minister Firass Abiad.

A thread about the deteriorating situation between Israel and hezbollah after the killings and injuries associated with the exploding pagers, and their aftermath, to let the gaza thread talk about gaza
What deteriorating situation? The two sides are already sworn enemies as I understand it. Mossad has delivered a blow against Hezbollah. Who now are going to be reluctant to use any I.t.

Do we know anything about these exploding pagers yet? For example, how Israel was able to supply Hezbollah with them in the first place (if that's how it came about)?

Do we know anything about these exploding pagers yet? For example, how Israel was able to supply Hezbollah with them in the first place (if that's how it came about)?

They were manufactured under license by a company called BAC, allegedly in Hungary. BAC may or may not exist, and Orban is saying that BAC don't have any presence in Hungary - but, you know, it's Orban...

So, in whatever way, Hezbollah bought a load of pagers (and perhaps from a source they thought was different, but wasn't... a load of walkie-talkies) from the Israelis, which had either been built, or retrofitted, with plastic explosive and a detonator connected to the receiver.

And when AMAN or Mossad pressed the button, they went bang.

They'll have to resort to carrier pigeons. :hmm:

Interestingly the Syrian MOD has, allegedly, set out a blanket email/notice to all it's units and Int organs to stop using handheld devices until further notice.

That could be a surfit of caution - and if I was at war with Israel, I'd probably be quite cautious... or it could be related to the integration/alliance of Hezbollah and the Syrian armed forces and it's Int organs. If the Iranian ambassador had a Hezbollah pager, who else had one?

It's a classic case of winning the battle but losing the war.

On the one hand, an incredible Mossad success story and an epic counter-intelligence failure for Hizbullah...especially now there's been a second day of explosions this time linked to walkie talkies and solar panels. It will for sure disrupt them as an organisation in the short term. As well as their supply lines and their sources of equipment and so forth.. the Israelis seem to have compromised this equipment before it reached Lebabon, with the pagers possibly being made in Hungary.

But what is the actual strategic aim of this move and what will it achive in regards to "winning" against Hizbullah and Iran? It makes it all the more likely the conflict in the North will deepend and more Israelis will have to evacuate. It prolongs Israel fighting a multi-fronted war with no end in sight, while they isolate every single ally they have. The Americans must be pissed at this for sure, with the bombings being ordered one day after they send people in for crisis talks to avoid further conflict spill over.

To me it just shows that Israel is totally fucked. They can do all this kind of shit as much as they want but they are just digging deeper and deeper in a hole.

It's a classic case of winning the battle but losing the war.

On the one hand, an incredible Mossad success story and an epic counter-intelligence failure for Hizbullah...especially now there's been a second day of explosions this time linked to walkie talkies and solar panels. It will for sure disrupt them as an organisation in the short term. As well as their supply lines and their sources of equipment and so forth.. the Israelis seem to have compromised this equipment before it reached Lebabon, with the pagers possibly being made in Hungary.

But what is the actual strategic aim of this move and what will it achive in regards to "winning" against Hizbullah and Iran? It makes it all the more likely the conflict in the North will deepend and more Israelis will have to evacuate. It prolongs Israel fighting a multi-fronted war with no end in sight, while they isolate every single ally they have. The Americans must be pissed at this for sure, with the bombings being ordered one day after they send people in for crisis talks to avoid further conflict spill over.

To me it just shows that Israel is totally fucked. They can do all this kind of shit as much as they want but they are just digging deeper and deeper in a hole.

It doesn't make such sense. The consensus seems to be Hezbollah have twigged to it so Mossad had to either 'use it or lose it'. And they went for the former.

They've blinded and castrated hundreds if not thousands of Hezbollah operatives and taken out their comms but the end game isn't quite clear. Seems a bit bonkers.

I'm a bit in shock about this. A country has blown up thousands of people in another country and the reactions seem to range from "amazing" to "blimey, that's really clever". Am I going mad? They're deliberately provoking war with all of their neighbours and people are like "ooooh, can you not do that please? Oh, here's another 200 shipping crates full of missiles".

The whole thing is fucking insane.

Back
Top Bottom