Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is the Range Rover Sport the apex in arsehole wheels ?

Is the Range Rover Sport the ultimate in arsehole wheels ?

• Yes

Votes: 82 56.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 51 35.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 51 35.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 55 38.2%
  • No, I have an Audi and I claim that title

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • I dont know as I do not drive

Votes: 23 16.0%
  • I live in the country and I find it useful for the 2 frosts we get each year

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Comedy Option

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • Fuck you, you snotty middle class cycling shitbag

Votes: 39 27.1%

• Total voters
My intention is to buy a hybrid that I can use for travelling around Spain and France. I intend to keep it until I give up driving. There are some things that are now important for my comfort. A/C, automatic, are essential. Desirable include auto lights, auto wipers, auto folding mirrors, heated seats, USB charge points front and rear. I know that I can manage without these, I don’t want to.

Because of how I plan to use the car pure electric will not work, so it has to be hybrid.

There’s an article here Top 10 cheapest cars to buy | Auto Express which lists the cheapest new cars in the U.K. Although small, and cheap, there’s some half decent cars on the list. It think I’d rather put my money in a bigger, arguably better, used car though.
wouldn't mind one of those ami for my london town commutes, it is however more than 10 time the price I paid for my 206 a few years ago and my finances have not improved so much I could afford it, and In'd atill need the 206 for the out of town drives.

My intention is to buy a hybrid that I can use for travelling around Spain and France. I intend to keep it until I give up driving. There are some things that are now important for my comfort. A/C, automatic, are essential. Desirable include auto lights, auto wipers, auto folding mirrors, heated seats, USB charge points front and rear. I know that I can manage without these, I don’t want to.

Because of how I plan to use the car pure electric will not work, so it has to be hybrid.
My Lexus has every single one of those and is a hybrid to boot so cars of that spec do exist and i'm sure they're not the only manufacturer that thinks like that

My Lexus has every single one of those and is a hybrid to boot so cars of that spec do exist and i'm sure they're not the only manufacturer that thinks like that
But I don't want a Lexus. I don't like them, for no reason other than I don't like them. Same as the hybrid Astra. It has everything I want, but I don't like them.

There's no logic to it.

But I don't want a Lexus. I don't like them, for no reason other than I don't like them. Same as the hybrid Astra. It has everything I want, but I don't like them.

There's no logic to it.
Nor should there be, if you don't like the look of a particular model no reason you should buy it

12320293975df87b82c3435284502260_770_0-c.jpg
I’m seeing a surprising number of Ford Rangers driving around south London. Nearly always being driven fast in a get out of my way sort of style. Crazy car to have in a city.

Is this not one of the highest spec RR's around and only 18,000 miles on the clock

Spec-wise it's pretty much the same as most other Range Rovers. They've just listed absolutely everything ("twin sunvisors") to try to justify the ludicrous asking price. All the stuff that made it uniquely "royal" has been removed!

12320293975df87b82c3435284502260_770_0-c.jpg
I’m seeing a surprising number of Ford Rangers driving around south London. Nearly always being driven fast in a get out of my way sort of style. Crazy car to have in a city.

The best selling vehicle in Australia - they are ubiquitous here.

They are pretty pricey in the UK at nearly 50 grand so only make sense if you've got some sort of tax fiddle going on with the lease payments. Injectors and starters go bad on them quite regularly, Body on frame though with a live rear axle so you can put a lot in it and/or tow a decent amount.

The best selling vehicle in Australia - they are ubiquitous here.

They are pretty pricey in the UK at nearly 50 grand so only make sense if you've got some sort of tax fiddle going on with the lease payments. Injectors and starters go bad on them quite regularly, Body on frame though with a live rear axle so you can put a lot in it and/or tow a decent amount.
certainly make more sense if you live in Bumfuck, Australia than in Zone 2 London.

They've just listed absolutely everything ("twin sunvisors") to try to justify the ludicrous asking price.
I was once looking at a new car. The salesman listed lots of three letter acronyms in the way they do.

Hang on, I said, what is PAS?

Power assisted steering he replied, rather earnestly.

Hasn’t every car got that these days, I asked.

Well, yes, he replied, somewhat sheepishly.

Last edited:
I did find it a bit of a shock, coming from a country with proper winters like Canada, that "central heating" was a big deal in flat listings.

I did find it a bit of a shock, coming from a country with proper winters like Canada, that "central heating" was a big deal in flat listings.

I lived in a flat with no heating other than a gas fire in the front room, in winter a glass of water on the bedside table would often have have a layer of ice on it come the morning. West London late 1990's, wasn't that unusual.

Never with anything in the rear
Well unless it's in a locked box it would get nicked. They make sense if you have a lockable boot and a job that involves a bunch of stuff and lugging 4 people around I can't see the appeal of driving one in a city let alone trying to park it. Only ever had to drive lease ones great fun off-road only broke one.

I don't know what checks HMRC do, or what rules they have, but these count as commercial vehicles, so firstly it's as Bahnhof Strasse says about the payments, but I think they are also VAT free.

Why they are chosen in preference to a van is simple - they can do the job for a plasterer/plumber/builder whatever during the day, and can be a family car for the school run on the way. Toofer...

It's also one lot of insurance, one lot of servicing/MOT, one parking space on the drive...

I won't deny that there's a fashion element to it, and I'm not going to defend an accountant in Hampstead doing the school run in a 4 Litre Dodge Ram, but while the pick-ups are flawed,there are solid reasons for some to buy them rather than other vehicles.

And no, I don't have one...

Tbf they are good in mud and you can put a lot of weight in the back it's just that they don't often actually get used that way

Back
Top Bottom