Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is it wrong to eat animals that are clever?

Subsistance farming, tending your own crops isn't the answer either. Fuck that.

Community owned and run vertical farms, areas of parkland turned over to growing food. Renewable energy, urban greenhouses.

Nice strawman!

Would you mind just pointing to the post that proposes we revert to 'subsistance' farming?

if it is so ubiquitous in the books you - or the estimable maggot - would have adduced some actual evidence by now instead of supposition and bluster.

the-children-of-willow-farm.jpg

That looks a pretty idyllic representation of a farm. Barely relatable to todays industrial agri-business that feeds the supermarkets.

My own view is that all forms of industrialised farming are harmful to animals, and to the environment as a whole.

You are woefully ignorant of the realpolitik of feeding 7.125 billion people.

The food industry needs to be diverse but it also needs to be industrialised.

Where have I done that, automatically? And the latter is present whether you personally disagree with it or not. And that definitely is a class thing.

I'm not saying you have. Just cautioning against it generally.

..and, yes, I agree with you about the River Cottage type shit infesting the ideas and practise of small scale sustainable food production. Doesn't mean it's useless though.

You are woefully ignorant of the realpolitik of feeding 7.125 billion people.

The food industry needs to be diverse but it also needs to be industrialised.

Feeding 7.125 billion people primarily through mass industrialised food production will be significantly harmful to the environment.

Now, if the alternative is famine, then yeah you have to harm the environment.

However I don't believe for a second that all of the food for all of the 7.125 billion people needs to come from industrial methods or even that that is the most efficient way of doing it.

..and, yes, I agree with you about the River Cottage type shit infesting the ideas and practise of small scale sustainable food production. Doesn't mean it's useless though.

Over 7 billion hungry mouths.

7 billion.

It's useless to a lot of people's lives. Largely because of the practicalities involved, and access (time, where you live, knowledge etc) not necessarily because of a lack of agreement on how capitalist society operates. And skills. But you aren't going to learn unless you have the opportunity...

The funny thing is that people who live this way do so within an industrialised capitalist society, and their relatively okay position in it allows them to indulge. The moralising stuff is a part of this. Mind you, for such people I do have 'Stalinist' solutions. If the hippies really want to work the land, then that can be arranged after the revolution.

Feeding 7.125 billion people primarily through mass industrialised food production will be significantly harmful to the environment.

Now, if the alternative is famine, then yeah you have to harm the environment.

However I don't believe for a second that all of the food for all of the 7.125 billion people needs to come from industrial methods or even that that is the most efficient way of doing it.

As I said diversification is needed. Particularly for populations, including urban settings to be self sufficient. For instance in the case of Havana. But it would be naive in the extreme to think we could have a redundant and ultimately resilient food source without major industrialisation of food production.

As I said diversification is needed. Particularly for populations, including urban settings to be self sufficient. For instance in the case of Havana. But it would be naive in the extreme to think we could have a redundant and ultimately resilient food source with major industrialisation of food production.

Don't hugely disagree, except to point out - again - that mass industrialisation of food production can, and has, led to the loss/destruction of sustainable, local food production. It's not a panacea. It should be used sparingly to plug the gaps that more small scale, self-sufficient production can't fill.

No.

Why are they hungry?

..and why do we have to feed them? (as opposed to being able to feed themselves).

I'm using 'we' as in, us, as a species.

We need this redundant food source to ensure food for global shortages that will occur for innumerable reasons. Changes in climate, conflict, disease etc.

What do you mean by "redundant food source"?

The ability to produce sufficient food if one part (or more) of your production fails. For instance if as Pickman's model mentioned earlier about a spreading disease. We should have the mechanisms to effective and efficiently feed the world if a major catastrophe occurred.

What could this look like? I would suggest we become self sufficient as is feasible within communities, exploit urban spaces for food production. But it would be necessary to have industrial arable farming maintained, to a degree, to play a responsible role in global needs.

I would also say if we stopped eating meat we could easily feed the world without extreme environmental impact.

Last edited:
We are in a interesting time as a global civilisation regarding meat eating. Global food distribution now means most people could prosper without eating meat. Deep rooted cultural norms of animal consumption needs to be challenged. Greater numbers of people are being more exposed to different cultures and ideas via the Internet, that could play a role. Although I am aware of the hopes some people had in 19th century after the creation of the telegraph system. Believing it could prevent wars and other societal ills. When in reality it was used to conduct wars and for rudimentary sexting between operators.

Global food distribution now means some rich people getting richer. It means you can get a Coke (for a price) in famine prone Sudan, but not clean drinking water. Most people globally don't eat that much meat anyway I wouldn't have thought. Meat is irrelevant to whether they prosper or not I reckon.

Global food distribution now means some rich people getting richer. It means you can get a Coke (for a price) in famine prone Sudan, but not clean drinking water. Most people globally don't eat that much meat anyway I wouldn't have thought. Meat is irrelevant to whether they prosper or not I reckon.

Indeed, I am imagining a different global economic system. As for meat consumption, the developed world eats the most. If economic constraints were removed I predict most of the world would catch up with meat consumption. Culturally we are obstructed with meat being associated with eating well, being prosperous etc.

Back
Top Bottom