Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Intersectionality

Intersection with an 'ality' at the end to make it sound important? I want to see this BBC Reith lecture http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03969vt

Apparently Grayson Perry talks about how art critics/commentators put 'ality' at the end of words to make it more incomprehensible, and therefore elitist.

Perry examines the words and language that have developed around art critique, including what he sees as the growing tendency to over-intellectualise the response to art. He analyses the art market and quotes - with some irony - an insider who says that certain colours sell better than others. He queries whether familiarity makes us like certain artworks more, and encourages the public to learn to appreciate different forms of art through exploration and open-mindedness.

video highlights http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01js37w

Is that what this thread is about TopCat? :D

Last edited:
I've not really got my head round it either but AFAICT it was identity politics' response to early criticism that showed the various glaring holes in its model of oppression due to a lack of class analysis/structural understanding.

Also developed in an American context (where it didn't exactly achieve any stunning victories for progressive social forces) and therefore of questionable relevance to other contexts.

I am still baffled. Can anyone put forward some examples of intersectionality in action or describe some of it's proponents?
It's not a thing to pout into action as such , it's a way of looking at the world and then deciding what needs doing. It effectively says that there are oppressed people ad power structures that oppress them. These various oppressions intersect and you score more points the more oppressions you have. It's essentially posh peoples way of saying i'm oppressed too! It undermines anti-racism and similar by making it into an individual power-play and tactic to shut up other people. Examples would be be laurie penny publicly accusing people here/the iwca of being racist for not buying her shit.

It's not a thing to pout into action as such , it's a way of looking at the world and then deciding what needs doing. It effectively says that there are oppressed people ad power structures that oppress them. These various oppressions intersect and you score more points the more oppressions you have. It's essentially posh peoples way of saying i'm oppressed too! It undermines anti-racism and similar by making it into an individual power-play and tactic to shut up other people. Examples would be be laurie penny publicly accusing people here/the iwca of being racist for not buying her shit.
You said "pout". was that deliberate? ;)

Go on, what's the worst that could happen.
Banned.gif

My understanding of it is as something that emrged primarily within feminist debates, with a bit of Foucault in there (matrix of oppression). Assuming this comes out of the bookfair thread (which I wasn't at), was it being specifically applied to anarchism in one of the meetings? Second cousin to Tod May?

So what "intersects" seems to be a series of sort of free-floating identities (going off one of Truxta's links) set up as simple dichotomies of "normal" and "other". That seems even more weak sauce than I thought it was and fits that Top Trumps model someone mentioned above. Or is there a body of turgid historical analysis explaining how all this came to pass?

So what "intersects" seems to be a series of sort of free-floating identities (going off one of Truxta's links) set up as simple dichotomies of "normal" and "other". That seems even more weak sauce than I thought it was and fits that Top Trumps model someone mentioned above. Or is there a body of turgid historical analysis explaining how all this came to pass?
no

Have a read of the book on the sojouner truth organisastion - it's interesting in how this came out of the marginalisation of working class women by feminism in the 70s (albeit mediated through university radicals having to explain it back to the women). It effectively steals these struggles and makes them into the property of uni-educated poshoes. It's pretty turgid going too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom