Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Information on taking refugees into our homes

Maharani

Just like Heaven
I did a quick search on here but couldn't find a thread that was completely related to this subject...

I am thinking of helping in this way and wonder what I need to do (legally) in order to have refugees living with me...Google isn't coming up with much (that I can find) except heart-warming press articles about how so many people want to help in this way.

Any knowledge/advice is gratefully received.

I did a quick search on here but couldn't find a thread that was completely related to this subject...

I am thinking of helping in this way and wonder what I need to do (legally) in order to have refugees living with me...Google isn't coming up with much (that I can find) except heart-warming press articles about how so many people want to help in this way.

Any knowledge/advice is gratefully received.

What about people who are already homeless in the UK? Are they not worthy of your spare room?

Haven't you got anything better to do than be dismissive of other people's good intentions?

when those good intentions only seem focused on whats fashionable?

the OP could have walked into their local town centre and found someone who needed a bed for the week, a shower and good meal in half an hour last night. no need for interpreters or complicated administrative procedures - but that person wasn't on the news, and would probably be bringing less fashionable 'issues' into the OP's home....

The people Maharani is talking about are already in the UK, you ignorant cretin.
i got the impression from her post of 1416 yesterday she was intending to go somewhere to pick them up, which i understood to be calais.
Yeah me too but I just haven't a clue on how to get started. I'm going over to the jungle in October with some of the Dulwich Hamlet lot to drive a van full of essentials over and no doubt I'll just want to fill it full of refugees on my return journey!

Nope. That's why she said she wanted to find a way to do this legally. In the OP.

No doubt her heart will be wrenched when she goes to Calais and will want to help all the people she meets. But that's a normal human reaction. She's taking about helping refugees who are already here.

Eta: really tho there's a global humanitarian crisis going on. People who dismiss people's efforts to help , particularly as trendy, need to have a word with themselves. And often as another poster said they even doing anything to help 'our own people' first anyway. Uggggh.

Last edited:
when those good intentions only seem focused on whats fashionable?

the OP could have walked into their local town centre and found someone who needed a bed for the week, a shower and good meal in half an hour last night. no need for interpreters or complicated administrative procedures - but that person wasn't on the news, and would probably be bringing less fashionable 'issues' into the OP's home....

You know fuck all about Maharani, and neither do I. Difference is, I don't automatically jump on someone displaying an interest in helping another human being, and use that as an excuse to be all self-righteous and judgemental.

This reminds me of the time I had a conversation with a Libertarian who insisted that I only had the right to advocate a welfare state when I had already given every penny of my own to charity. A society in which everyone does a tiny bit of good (however inconsistently) is surely better than one in which no-one does anything. Why discourage goodness by insisting on everyone being either a Saint or nothing at all?

You know fuck all about Maharani, and neither do I. Difference is, I don't automatically jump on someone displaying an interest in helping another human being, and use that as an excuse to be all self-righteous and judgemental.

This reminds me of the time I had a conversation with a Libertarian who insisted that I only had the right to advocate a welfare state when I had already given every penny of my own to charity. A society in which everyone does a tiny bit of good (however inconsistently) is surely better than one in which no-one does anything. Why discourage goodness by insisting on everyone being either a Saint or nothing at all?
libertarians are loons tho.

Well that would be the polite reply but what has it got to do with them?

They could just fuck off & spend every waking hour scouring the streets for people they could help rather than dissing those trying to help others.

Innit. But let's be real. We all know the subtext is why are you helping foreigners (black and brown people) over 'our own', white folk.

Well that would be the polite reply but what has it got to do with them?

They could just fuck off & spend every waking hour scouring the streets for people they could help rather than dissing those trying to help others.
equally you know nothing about kebabking's activities so rsther than setting yourself up as arbiter of what people should do and effing and blinding about it some courtesy might be more in order. tbh the homeless in this country are refugees too, in terms of needing refuge, as much as anyone else. shouldn't both the indigenous homeless and those fleeing civil war be helped?

Back
Top Bottom