Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Incredibly good one-off albums from bands that lost the plot quickly..

Hollis

bloody furious
Is there a better example than Tears for Fears...? :hmm:

Been listening to this a lot recently - it really is very good... never listened to the follow-up album in its entirety and no-real desire to..

1639093031119.png
(okay this was last done in 2008..so worth a reboot..)

:guy:

I dunno, cause I ain't listened to it.. but from the singles The Hurting has a nice post-punk feel to it, where the rest of their stuff is mid-80s overproduced whatever ..

It's not a hill I'll die on though.

Last edited:
How it started:

Is there a better example than Tears for Fears...? :hmm:

Been listening to this a lot recently - it really is very good... never listened to the follow-up album in its entirety and no-real desire to..

View attachment 300013
(okay this was last done in 2008..so worth a reboot..)

"I have absolutely no intention of leaving my role as originating poster of this thread."

How it ended:

:guy:

I dunno, cause I ain't listened to it.. but from the singles The Hurting has a nice post-punk feel to it, where the rest of their stuff is mid-80s overproduced whatever ..

It's not a hill I'll die on though.

“It is with huge sadness that, following contact with other posters today, it is clear that the boards no longer have sufficient confidence in my leadership to continue. They have left me no choice but to step aside as OP of this thread."

🤣😉👍

How it ended:

“It is with huge sadness that, following contact with other posters today, it is clear that the boards no longer have sufficient confidence in my leadership to continue. They have left me no choice but to step aside as OP of this thread."

🤣😉👍

I'm happy to do the beginning, middle and ending.. whatever it takes. :thumbs:

c1d9384696233ede310a5ed9b4c69a857cfa139f_l.jpg

Would like to submit the bombastic, ott, above album produced during Trevor Horn's magnificent 80s run. There was nothing like it at the time. The hype, the Pink Floyd knockoffs, the Monty Python interludes, the covers of Bacharach/David, Springsteen etc.

After TH left for other production duties, the follow up album was such a drop in quality. But WttP remains a shiny, pulsating product of its time and it's up there with Lexicon of Love... another TH production

Would like to submit the bombastic, ott, above album produced during Trevor Horn's magnificent 80s run. There was nothing like it at the time. The hype, the Pink Floyd knockoffs, the Monty Python interludes, the covers of Bacharach/David, Springsteen etc.

After TH left for other production duties, the follow up album was such a drop in quality. But WttP remains a shiny, pulsating product of its time and it's up there with Lexicon of Love... another TH production
I did think about this but there's some weak shit on Pleasuredome amidst the mighty singles, and I DO have a place in my heart for the follow up Liverpool, so while I think you have a case I couldn't personally post it myself.

Some
Loads of the early 00's rock bands fit with this theme. Not least:
Yeah, on that note I suppose it depends how you're defining "lost the plot" - I don't think either Show Your Bones or Neon Bible are bad albums as such, but they're not Fever to Tell or Funeral? Never really listened to any Arctic Monkeys beyond the first album, dunno whether or not I'm missing out on anything there.

If you think that Hear Nothing... is the first Discharge album, then I suppose that certainly qualifies, but as I've argued elsewhere Why? is definitely an album so that doesn't count. I reckon there's a pretty big drop-off between the quality of the Priests EPs and Nothing Feels Natural vs Seduction of Kansas, if anyone else has Priests opinions?

I lent that on vinyl to my cousins . . .who hated it so much that they applied a cigarette lighter to it, turning it into an ashtray.

Back
Top Bottom