Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Incredibly good one-off albums from bands that lost the plot quickly..

Wouldn't say lost the plot, but from this fabulous debut to virtually nothing... reminded me to listen to it again, so thank you!

Bring_it_on_album_cover.jpg

That was a beauty as well. Saw them at Glastonbury too - a rainy early day set but brilliant 😎

Did they even release a second album, though?

Anyway. They were incandescent pop and then... that was it.
Nope. Which is a fucking shame but he probably makes a fortune of the royalties for There She Goes so i don’t blame him if he wants to relax. He’s made his contribution. I grew up on Merseyside and remember the time that album was made and it’s very evocative of those days. I’d love to hear some new Lee Mavers’ tunes though.

A friend was raving about their 1974 album To Keep From Crying recently, been meaning to give it a run through since - maybe this weekend

It's quite unusual still even though it's trying to be commercial. Bobby Watson does a lot of the vocals and she sounds really shrill as the lead vocalist in this more pop setting unfortunately. It's interesting - the melodies are quite peculiar. I really like the title track even if it's a bit cheesy, and the Down Like a Movie Star song is good. Nothing like First Utterance though.

It's quite unusual still even though it's trying to be commercial. Bobby Watson does a lot of the vocals and she sounds really shrill as the lead vocalist in this more pop setting unfortunately. It's interesting - the melodies are quite peculiar. I really like the title track even if it's a bit cheesy, and the Down Like a Movie Star song is good. Nothing like First Utterance though.
He'd never heard (or even heard of) First Utterance, so was coming to it with no expectations - going to try approaching it with that in mind.

America's Least Wanted by Ugly Kid Joe was a pretty good debut album. The follow ups came no where near it.

Back
Top Bottom