Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

I'm off to prison soon

I don't really understand why guards are still smuggling drugs in.

Speaking to someone in the know (prisoner rehab) I'm told there's a much easier way. Douse paper in whatever the latest 'spice' chem is. Leave to dry. Write letter. Send.

Pretty much undetectable with current technology/resources.

I'm obviously missing something with this 'warehouse' the prisoner. I mean, it's one thing to treat them like dangerous animals and 'lock them up' but you warehouse inanimate objects.

Don't be surprised if some fall off the shelves.

Warehousing sounds very much like the verbing of a noun - seems to come from North America

NORTH AMERICAN informal
to place (a prisoner or a psychiatric patient) in a large, impersonal institution in which their problems are not satisfactorily addressed.

"our objective is not to warehouse prisoners but to help inmates build new lives"

I'm obviously missing something with this 'warehouse' the prisoner. I mean, it's one thing to treat them like dangerous animals and 'lock them up' but you warehouse inanimate objects.

The term bugs me too.

Just like the term 'cannabis factory', when the fuck did people stop growing it & start manufacturing it?

Warehousing sounds very much like the verbing of a noun - seems to come from North America
It's tied to a string of ideological and practical changes.

"Penal welfarism" is often used (certainly contemporaraneously) to refer to a period running from (erm, 1920s?) until the '70s. Domain of the experts, psychologists and psychiatrists assessing criminal behaviour as pathological, various psychotherapeutic interventions seen as one way of curing crime. Indefinite detention until "cured" one consequence of this. Obvs this underplays the scarcity of meaningful support and the extent of brutality, but ay.

Martinson then published a 1974 sort-of-systematic-review of penal interventions. Tbf, it sort of showed that some interventions had some effects for some people, but his oft-cited conclusion was basically that nothing in the field of penal corrections works, or has any impact on recidivism. Attributing all subsequent changes to one paper is probably a bit much; but Cullen and Gendreau do a pretty good job of exploring how this tapped into a broader episteme / readiness to change.

Which led to a good decade or three of penal nihilism, characterised as 'nothing works.' This, in turn, led to the development of alternative strategies of crime control, and of punishment. If interventions don't work, then there's no point in interventions. So e.g. situational crime prevention, deterrence, and just desserts sentencing arose. (None of these relies on engendering change in the individual; you just make it a lot harder for them to commit crime, make it a lot more painful to commit crime, or give up on it all and just allocate prison sentences according to the severity of the crime, with no regard to how someone might change during the course of their sentence).

'Humane warehousing' fit within that model, as it was effectively arguing that there's no point trying to change prisoners with interventions / therapy / whatever, so the best use of resources is to keep 'em stacked high with little or no purposeful activity, but - at least - in a humane environment.

Last edited:
I don't really understand why guards are still smuggling drugs in.

Speaking to someone in the know (prisoner rehab) I'm told there's a much easier way. Douse paper in whatever the latest 'spice' chem is. Leave to dry. Write letter. Send.

Pretty much undetectable with current technology/resources.
Phones still need to get in. Larger orders still need to get in. Not everyone wants spice (though it does seem to be gaining a very strong / ascendant toehold). Even when people do want spice, there will always be considerable kudos in corrupting a PO and / or getting harder-to-find drugs, or larger quantities of drugs, into prison.

And POs are relatively easy to corrupt. Start with small comments. Find out the city where a PO lives, in conversation. Then the neighbourhood. Work out which is their house. Begin to drop hints about things happening to their family. Friends who stopped by, last weekend. Just to have a look. Nice curtains, ay. Kids playing out front.

Or corrupt with kindness or (easier in privatised prisons) cash.

After someone's been corrupted once, the cash becomes increasingly less important. They're owned now. Fully, 100% blackmailable.
Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 09.23.32.png Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 09.23.11.png Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 09.22.40.png

The term bugs me too.

Just like the term 'cannabis factory', when the fuck did people stop growing it & start manufacturing it?

Pretty sure this comes from the charge of 'production' (growing). I guess production sounds more legal savvy than growing. And if you 'produce' something it's a small step to call that 'manufacture' and manufacturing takes place in a factory. Before we closed them all.

Back
Top Bottom