Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

il virus: covid-19 in italy

From the BBC live updates page earlier (17:51) https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-51829559

Italian medical chief dies after contracting virus
The head of the medical association in the northern Italian province of Varese, Roberto Stella, 67, has died of respiratory failure after contracting coronavirus.
He had been practising medicine at an outpatient clinic in Busto Arsizio, north-west of Milan, and Italian reports say he and a colleague were infected at the weekend.
Varese is in the Lombardy region, which has been at the centre of Italy's coronavirus outbreak.

The measures are being strengthened further:

Here’s a little more detail on Conte’s comments, which mark a step unprecedented in peacetime. He has told Italians: All shops will be closed apart from those for basic necessities, such as pharmacies and supermarkets. Industries can stay open, but with strict measures in place, as well as essential services such as banks. Transport will be guaranteed.

21m ago 21:31

How is food availability in Italy, does anyone know?
If Italy has run out of pasta I think we're all doomed!! ;)

We won't run out of food, not for a while yet. We're largely self-sufficient and trucks carrying food are still running as normal. We import much less than the UK, though even you will find it's perfectly possible to survive without imported foods if this affects supplies in the UK over the coming weeks/months

Some postive news from Italy, via BBC

Codogno, a town in northern Italy, is the epicentre of the coronavirus outbreak in the country.

But the town's mayor, Francesco Passerini, has said the number of new infections is steadily decreasing, and that this gives him "hope" they can defeat the virus.

"We are close to zero growth," he told Corriere newspaper

I think thats unfair and not to be too nationalistic but the Chinese government helped ensure a global outbreak so the very minimum they should be doing is helping.

fully agree now is the time to work together though but wouldnt want to be stuck in the crisis with that luvvie.

Have things started to stabilise in Italy now then? Really hope there are signs of improvement in the next week.

Does anyone know if the Italian government is doing anything to financially help all the people who can't work? I'm wondering if there will be a spate of evictions as people can't pay their rents - maybe not right now but at the end of the epidemic when the courts are processing again.

Does anyone know if the Italian government is doing anything to financially help all the people who can't work? I'm wondering if there will be a spate of evictions as people can't pay their rents - maybe not right now but at the end of the epidemic when the courts are processing again.

Debt holidays (eg mortgage payment suspensions) are an initial step countries like Italy have taken. There is probably a bunch of other stuff but I havent had time to look.

It wont be business as usual for a long time after the virus has finished doing its worst, so peoples personal economics may well require and be given support in the same way businesses will.

so peoples personal economics may well require and be given support in the same way businesses will.
Alas I don't think that's a given. Neoliberal governments are much more prone to bailing out businesses than individuals. They have to protect mortgages or the banking system would collapse. Wouldn't surprise me if it requires a bit more pressure (or rioting) before they support private renters and individuals in precarious work.

Alas I don't think that's a given. Neoliberal governments are much more prone to bailing out businesses than individuals. They have to protect mortgages or the banking system would collapse. Wouldn't surprise me if it requires a bit more pressure (or rioting) before they support private renters and individuals in precarious work.

Its difficult to predict but I would suggest the old order is dead, the dominant economic ideology has met its match. I believe some of what attracted some people to reading about pandemics long before this one happened, was that a bad pandemic would expose all the weaknesses and failings of the established order in a dramatic and universal manner.

I think thats unfair and not to be too nationalistic but the Chinese government helped ensure a global outbreak so the very minimum they should be doing is helping.

fully agree now is the time to work together though but wouldnt want to be stuck in the crisis with that luvvie.

Why is it unfair to point out that Italy is somewhat pissed off with the lack of help from the EU?

The Italian government has accused the EU and its member states of being slow in coming to the country’s aid over the coronavirus epidemic.
---
“Today, this means Italy; tomorrow, the need could be elsewhere. Italy has already asked to activate the European Union mechanism of civil protection for the supply of medical equipment for individual protection. But unfortunately not a single EU country responded to the commission’s call. Only China responded bilaterally. Certainly this is not a good sign of European solidarity.”
SOURCE

Have things started to stabilise in Italy now then? Really hope there are signs of improvement in the next week.

Today's figures don't seem to have been released yet, but confirmed cases have gone up by 6,000 between Monday & yesterday. An increase of over 65%. :(

Today's figures now in, up 2547 in 24 hours, total of confirmed cases now 17,660, basically doubled since Monday. :(

Back
Top Bottom