Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

If you lost your job during the pandemic, it's your own fault (apparently).

There was a story in The Scum the other day about getting office workers back to the office because (apparently) they don't produce as much at home.

Most of them don't produce much in the office either.

E2a: Except rent for people who own office buildings. And income for places that sell depressing sandwiches and tepid coffee. And wear and tear on their cars.

But it is a little disheartening to learn that so many people are sufficiently dull that they're willing to ascribe the timing of this sudden mass increase in job incompetence alongside a global pandemic to mere coincidence.
For me, this is the greatest disappointment. Not the politicians, because I tend to assume they'll be serving their own agenda, although this lot have taken that to a new level...but to realise how credulous and unwilling to think beyond what they like of what they're told a significant proportion of the general public are - that's grim.

But it is a little disheartening to learn that so many people are sufficiently dull that they're willing to ascribe the timing of this sudden mass increase in job incompetence alongside a global pandemic to mere coincidence.
Not just dull; don't you remember all the reflexive impotence (k-punk for instance) and negative solidarity stuff? It's just more of that, innit?

btw these figures have changed since 2014 according to this
worth reading
fact remains though, the UK has serious regional poverty

This just usual Tory mo though. Get people to blame other people not the government. People have unshakeable notions. Mention the NHS to my neighbour & he will say the NHS should get rid of “the bureaucrats”. He knows zilch about the NHS but that is what he believes & he wants to believe it. He would not thank you if you stood there & explained it all to him & proved him wrong.

This just usual Tory mo though. Get people to blame other people not the government. People have unshakeable notions. Mention the NHS to my neighbour & he will say the NHS should get rid of “the bureaucrats”. He knows zilch about the NHS but that is what he believes & he wants to believe it. He would not thank you if you stood there & explained it all to him & proved him wrong.
I haven't 'like'd this because I don't like it, however I do concur absolutely. We as a species seem to form our opinions very early on in life and have no intention of changing them.

its almost as if we live in a country utterly dominated by the tories!
i came across the term Elective dictatorship - Wikipedia recently. feels that way

I haven't 'like'd this because I don't like it, however I do concur absolutely. We as a species seem to form our opinions very early on in life and have no intention of changing them.
I'm not so sure that's the take-away from Bob's observation, tbh.
Maybe this is just rose-tinted guff, but I seem to remember a time when more 'ordinary folk' being vox-popped or asked about current affairs would admit that they didn't know enough about (politics?) to comment or expand on a view.
In the neoliberal era of rolling news, billionaire press, false consciousness industries it seems that the norm is more often to offer a received viewpoint that simplifies an apparently complex world and allows folk like Bob's mate the opportunity to 'participate' and appear/convince themselves that they are an engaged citizen.
Sort of?

The headlines are depressing but I want to see the proper report not the Guardian summary of it which is a prime example of the Guardian's own politics and biases.

It's a good point. It looks like participants were asked to put different types of inequality in order of seriousness. Not sure how you're meant to answer that when all of those mentioned are serious.

The headlines are depressing but I want to see the proper report not the Guardian summary of it which is a prime example of the Guardian's own politics and biases.

Meritocracy is fine if it was real and we lived in a society where everyone starts with the same access to education and work opportunities as everyone else but we don't. Eldest Q briefly dated a guy who had graduated from Oxford with a law degree. He was an intelligent young man who had worked hard to get where he was and deserved credit for that but he just couldn't rationalise the fact that he already had a head start by going to a private school and having parents wealthy enough to hire tutors when he needed one.
He was convinced that everything he achieved was down to sheer ability on his own part and the reason there were no poor kids from council estates in his classes was because they lacked that ability not because the dice were loaded from the start.
I was glad when Eldest dumped him to be truthful.

Thanks.

As I thought if you look at the raw data you begin to see a different picture from the one the Guardian has run with.
Overwhelmingly people see income gaps as too large, majorities felt that society was unequal even before COVID-19. Most people see the increase in inequality in either income or life expectancy for any of the groups polled as a problem. Two thirds of people see COVID as negatively affecting those with little wealth and low paid jobs.

Significantly more people agree that the government should redistribute income than disagree, a majority believe that the government should take measures to reduce income inequality. 90% of people say that "the furlough scheme helps people who are facing difficult times through no fault of their own", 83% say the same about unemployment benefits.

And it is worth thinking about the headline 47% figure, while more people than not (47% to 39%) think "how well people are performing at their jobs" is important in someone losing their job that does not mean that they do not believe other factors are also important. The only two (non-exclusive) factors people are asked their views on are luck and performance, there is no questioning of the structural issues that the answers to other questions suggest that many people do consider problems.

Last edited:
Maybe, just maybe, once unemployment really rises and people know friends and relations who have lost their jobs, some may realise that they're not all just lazy gits. Not all of them.

Thanks.

As I thought if you look at the raw data you begin to see a different picture from the one the Guardian has run with.

No! Surely The Guardian isn't pushing some kind of soppy liberal viewpoint? That's unthinkable! ;)

Significantly more people agree that the government should redistribute income than disagree, a majority believe that the government should take measures to reduce income inequality. 90% of people say that "the furlough scheme helps people who are facing difficult times through no fault of their own", 83% say the same about unemployment benefits.

This bit in particular would seem to demolish the Guardian's inchoate thesis.

Back
Top Bottom