Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Identity Politics: the impasse, the debate, the thread.

I look forward to every word being interrogated, Derrida-style.

Now we move on to the first heading. What do we suppose the authors mean by “Introduction”? Do they merely mean preamble? And don’t forget that amble can also mean a stroll: are we being invited to stroll with them? Of course in introducing us to the subject, they could be making the assumption that they already know the subject while we do not. This is a patronising tone to begin with. Indeed, one might say more a gamble than an amble.

Ohh get over yourself. Titles are a political decision, they state the parameters of the topic under discussion. So they’re quite important.

Really, what is the point of ‘a contribution to the debate’? It’s either obvious and thus pointless, or it undermines the previous titles.

Ohh get over yourself. Titles are a political decision, they state the parameters of the topic under discussion. So they’re quite important.

Really, what is the point of ‘a contribution to the debate’? It’s either obvious and thus pointless, or it undermines the previous titles.
To me, the subtext is recognising that there's a debate to be had amongst the left, rather than it being a dogmatic assertion.

Yeah, would sell more if it was titled " Harry Potter and the the Politics of Division: An engagement with identity politics A contribution to the debate."

If this is the way you 'engage' with the debate in the pamphlet, then it seems a pretty one -sided 'engagement'.

(If I was being really fussy, I'd also have pointed out that it is silly to capitalise Identity but not Politics in the first subtitle. One or the other, that's basic)

The red side of the divide is populated by almost formless caricatures behind a single flag while the green side feels lived in by fully formed individuals with not only two flags but a placard no doubt emblazoned with a humorous slogan to promote a single issue imbued with deep personal meaning. The hyper individualism of the green further symbolised by the a single strand of hair highlighted against the background versus the bleakness across the divide their dull bureaucratic styles squeezed of all vitality by the cold hand of the red dictatorship. I reject both the bleak suppression of the human spirit and the atomisation so inherent to late capitalism presented here as all there is.

I’ve had to pay £1.53 postage, which is, like, an entire second tub of hummus. What am I going to put on my toast? Sort out your digital platform, comrades!

Shameless plug - but for those in the West Riding and nearby, this and other great material/badly titled reactionary propaganda will be available at the Bradford Anarchist Bookfair - September 4th, 1in12 club, 11-4.

The Politics of Division: An engagement with identity politics: A contribution to the debate: A PDF.

(Also, on a proofreading note, the text on the website looks alright in my laptop browser, but on my mobile the line spacing's all over the place, makes it look like modernist poetry or something.)

Back
Top Bottom