Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How worried are you about rising sea levels?

It would definitely influence my decision to buy. We absolutely love this place in Orkney but rising sea levels would put us off. A few extra inches of sea level, a high tide and a couple of decent storms - and you get plenty of them in Orkney - and you'd be worried.

Praa Sands near where I live always amazes me. There are a set of houses above a little bit of cliff that has reduced visibly over the last few years. Gardens that were once much bigger, a set of steps that has succumbed to the sea etc.

But people keeps building on it. There's a house for sale down there for £2.85m atm. :eek:

Check out this 4 bedroom detached house for sale on Rightmove

It would definitely influence my decision to buy. We absolutely love this place in Orkney but rising sea levels would put us off. A few extra inches of sea level, a high tide and a couple of decent storms - and you get plenty of them in Orkney - and you'd be worried.

Praa Sands near where I live always amazes me. There are a set of houses above a little bit of cliff that has reduced visibly over the last few years. Gardens that were once much bigger, a set of steps that has succumbed to the sea etc.

But people keeps building on it. There's a house for sale down there for £2.85m atm. :eek:

Buying a pint in the sandbar is a risky enough investment for me.

Where I live now we get flooded pretty much every year. This is a river flooding rather than the sea. One flood in the last 5 years was particularly high and I had to be rescued by canoe!

The ground floor takes the brunt and the electrics are all fitted a couple of metres off the ground so usually they don't get wet but this one flood we had the water started coming up the stairs towards me in the night and I really worried it might even reach / flood the first floor.

In a panic I started moving my things like computers to the second floor but luckily the waters subsided.

We're close to a river too. Every year it's the same conversation when getting home insurance

"Are you within 100 metres of a river?"
"Yes"
"How close are you?"
"6 feet"

Fortunately we don't flood. Even in 2012 when the field on the other side became part of the river

That would just be asking for trouble, not to mention the ever-present risk of tsunamis.

Buying a pint in the sandbar is a risky enough investment for me.
It's The Welloe again now. Been redone. They had a Mexican night when we were there last week. Food's very nice but yeah I don't think I'd be thinking of buying a house down there even if I could afford one.

It's The Welloe again now. Been redone. They had a Mexican night when we were there last week. Food's very nice but yeah I don't think I'd be thinking of buying a house down there even if I could afford one.
We might try it one day if we have anymore summer or maybe it's a good excuse for a bike ride once my daughter's back at school and I'm on a work from home week! It's been a couple years or more.

I'm currently in an hotel less than 2 miles from the coast so if it shoots up tonight I'm fucked. However normally where I live is 350ft above Sea Level and 100 miles from the coast so I'm not too worried

I'm more worried about heatwaves cooking everyone. Flooding you can defend against with a bit of forward planning.
We were given metal plates to seal our doors against the water, although they forgot about my own front door it seems.

However they proved about as useful as a chocolate teapot because the flood water just came up through the floor.

Can I ask what the problem with them is? Seem to be used in local flood defense proposals.

Mainly that it has a 30 metre resolution so ignores much local topography, and for example sea walls, so if you set the year to now or the sea height rise to zero it will show vast tracts of the land already under the sea, for example the fens through to Cambridge and Peterborough, or east London from City Airport to Stratford Park.

As a basic "elevation above mean sea level" tool it's ok but then that's not what it's being used for.

Last edited:
I'm probably only 10m above sea level and less than a mile from the coast but this area will be fine. I can think of lots of places nearby that won't be, though, which will be annoying for getting about and infrastructure purposes.

The threat of tsunamis has dampened my enthusiasm for coastal living.

Do miss being away from large bodies of water, having lived by the sea, rivers and canals all my life until we came here. Quite fancied mountain towns for a while, but there's a lot of landslides and flooding every year.

So although have grumbled that where we live is kind of boring, we're very lucky as it's slightly hilly in places but relatively far from seas and rivers and mountains.

Back
Top Bottom