Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you have any 'house rules'? If so, what are they?

Recently had to turf a couple out of my place so find this thread comforting.

I was actually surprised that everyone in my/our lives who knew (apart from one or two people with a big stake in the shit they'd caused) were universally saying I had a right to kick them out my home, even only knowing their side of the story and I'd not gone soliciting opinions like that.

I'd exhausted literally every other option to the extent they essentially kicked themselves out.

Recently had to turf a couple out of my place so find this thread comforting.

I was actually surprised that everyone in my/our lives who knew (apart from one or two people with a big stake in the shit they'd caused) were universally saying I had a right to kick them out my home, even only knowing their side of the story and I'd not gone soliciting opinions like that.

I'd exhausted literally every other option to the extent they essentially kicked themselves out.
Sometimes you have to.

An old friend of mine brought her new friend from the PTA or somewhere round - ‘she’s new in town, she doesn’t know anyone’ - fine. White South African, fine - interesting. Big mistake thinking that might lead to a satisfying conversation. After she’d shared her thoughts on emancipated ‘blacks’ and how shocking she found it that so many black people in London were professionals who expected to be treated as her equal, I asked her to leave. She asked if I was joking, so I said no, I’m not joking, here’s your handbag [picked it up and pushed it at her], get out of my flat and never come back.

Later that evening, my friend rang to say I’d embarrassed her, that she’d had to comfort this horrible cunt, and how could I…I put the phone down.

Sometimes you have to.

An old friend of mine brought her new friend from the PTA or somewhere round - ‘she’s new in town, she doesn’t know anyone’ - fine. White South African, fine - interesting. Big mistake thinking that might lead to a satisfying conversation. After she’d shared her thoughts on emancipated ‘blacks’ and how shocking she found it that so many black people in London were professionals who expected to be treated as her equal, I asked her to leave. She asked if I was joking, so I said no, I’m not joking, here’s your handbag [picked it up and pushed it at her], get out of my flat and never come back.

Later that evening, my friend rang to say I’d embarrassed her, that she’d had to comfort this horrible cunt, and how could I…I put the phone down.

Christ 😱

That's bonkers, my grandad, well grans second husband but whatever. Was a white south African doctor during apartheid. Never heard a single racist thing from him at all, big cricket fan, worked in black only hospitals too apparently. Idk too much more but considering the environment he grew up in and how much time ago that was....

Then again there's fucking ignorant people everywhere. It's like 98% white british here and various people buggered off out of my life after various comments. One of the worst for this, who was very much into US rap which made it extra confusing moved to London. Year later his profile pic was a group of them off clubbing. Totally mixed group and his best mate up there was black.

Makes me glad the younger lot seem to have got more of a clue. They did have some exposure to racism and homophobia through my MIL. It was quickly dismissed as 'stupid' by them when they asked what she was on about later and we talked about it logically. Basically that there wasn't any logic. She's surprised none of her grandkids at all see her now, especially after my nephew came out and she went bonkers. The rest kept their various sexualities and preferences to themselves around her and then kept a distance.

Sometimes you have to.

This surprises me. That attitude from South Africans is rare these days.

This surprises me. That attitude from South Africans is rare these days.
I’m sure. It was just one individual. Her background is just the background to who she was. I wasn’t casting aspersions on every white South African, let alone the ones known to you or Danny, or the others known to me.

One of my sisters in law is South African and white. She’s anti racist. As is her mother.
So two women. Google tells me South Africa has a population of 60.6 million people, some of whom will be horrible unreconstructed racists as in any country - only with the added context that they miss the days of apartheid, which is what this one individual was saying, which I found objectionable to the extent I threw her out. The fact that I mentioned her origin as being potentially interesting (and therefore, on paper, a welcome guest) would suggest I don’t expect everyone of her origin to have such views.

I'm not on that close terms with anyone south african, but i have encountered (not on here) a few white south africans (and from other former colonies) who have given the impression they have moved to the UK to get away from black majority rule there and seem pissed off that the UK isn't as racist as they had hoped...

obviously it will vary - there were white south africans who publicly opposed apartheid then.

I'm not on that close terms with anyone south african, but i have encountered (not on here) a few white south africans (and from other former colonies) who have given the impression they have moved to the UK to get away from black majority rule there and seem pissed off that the UK isn't as racist as they had hoped...

obviously it will vary - there were white south africans who publicly opposed apartheid then.
Yes, she was one of them. I don’t take her as indicative, but she’s not such a rare phenomenon that she’s without company. Just not my company.

No smoking in my flat. The bathroom door doesn't have a lock, so don't close it unless you are in there. When you want to watch TV, for the love of god, please DON'T use my profile on Netflix, I don't want my Netflix full of your random crap :D

No smoking in my flat. The bathroom door doesn't have a lock, so don't close it unless you are in there. When you want to watch TV, for the love of god, please DON'T use my profile on Netflix, I don't want my Netflix full of your random crap :D
Aw man, I didn’t put a PIN on my Disney profile and then allowed by brother’s family to use my account and my niece worked out she could use mine to sneakily watch things she couldn’t on the kids’ profile and now my suggestions are ruined

Aw man, I didn’t put a PIN on my Disney profile and then allowed by brother’s family to use my account and my niece worked out she could use mine to sneakily watch things she couldn’t on the kids’ profile and now my suggestions are ruined
I feel your pain.

I know, right? I have two daughters in their 20s (who don’t fucking live with me!) and all my streaming accounts are full of “because you liked Celebrity Housewives of Cincinnati Dating on an Island with People From Essex”.

Tbf, those are nonsense anyway. I was suggested a load of gangster films and real crime dramas by Netflix because I watched Some Like It Hot...
I am starting to suspect my dog somehow has access to my amazon account, every single day it gives me a notification saying they think I would like to buy treats.

I know, right? I have two daughters in their 20s (who don’t fucking live with me!) and all my streaming accounts are full of “because you liked Celebrity Housewives of Cincinnati Dating on an Island with People From Essex”.
How do you think I feel? I live with a 16 year old boy - mine are filled with football, rap related content, anything Formula 1*, crime docs, and gangster movies - plus the odd secret thing I should probably extensively tell his friends he’s been watching to get my own back - like Emily in Paris, complete with the progress bar that picks up where he’s left off.

And I noticed the other day that all my Virgin Media box recordings of the House of Elliott had been wiped for no apparent reason. I return to Beatrice and Evangeline every couple of years as a comfort watch, and always find something new in it.

Last edited:
My favourite thing about kids watching Netflix on their parent's account is when it confuses the algorithm into suggesting something like Peppa Pig alongside a load of grim Scandi noir series :D

Back
Top Bottom