Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How worried are you about rising sea levels?

Buddy Bradley

Pantheistic solipsist
We're considering a move towards the coast (mostly to be nearer to Mrs BB's aging parents) but obviously that puts us firmly into the "experts say this much of England could be underwater by 2030" territory.

Would this worry you? It feels easy to stick your head in the sand and put off worrying about it until it's actually happening, but then again it could be your biggest asset that suddenly has no value...

I wouldn't choose to move near the coast - it's going to get mightily crowded in the highlands and welsh hillsides

I'm concerned. Our house is about 300m from the sea, our holiday caravan is about 500m from the sea. The house is up a slight slope, the caravan is at sea level.

But, I'm not going to spend my life being too afraid to do anything. I need to seize the day. I've enough health problems that if I just sit around there'll soon be no time left to live.

We already live just 3' above sea level on reclaimed land, so we're acutely aware of this. There's a pump station near us named "The Great Breach" .

Would we buy something coastal? Nowhere near clay cliffs e.g. East Yorkshire or the Jurassic coastline, for sure.

Near granite cliffs eg Cornwall, possibly, wouldn't rule it out.

There's coast and there's coast. Some bits of coast won't be affected by rising sea levels even if the entire West Antarctic ice sheet collapses and melts tonight. Other bits of coast will be consumed by the sea even if humans stop producing all greenhouses from tonight. Local councils should have produced assessments for the relevant bits which are listed here.

Not super concerned.
Just because I live in London and feel like there will be a lot of resources put into keeping the area dry.

The family home in Ireland is on top of a hill too.

We are at about 200', there will be lot of poor buggers swimming by the time it comes to us.

Wouldn't be funny if man redeveloped the ability to breathe in water.

Depends how far above the sea you are? Here in Folkestone they are building flats on the actual beach. I wouldn't buy them.

The house I bought was on a hill and in the valley below there was a small river.

Well I say small, normally it was small but there was a flood and loads of people lost their cars and some had their houses flooded.

With the benefit of hindsight, it was a good choice to buy a house on a hill.

The permafrost is no longer perma and the summer sea ice is becoming the summer cold sea with annually diminishing ice chunks in it. How long before that pays out in sea rise, I've no idea but I'm staying in the midlands.

Last edited:
Is that from Climate Central? That model was debunked on another thread.
I was assuming it was generic based on ground level. Although my mother commented that lixnaw did flood all the time. Presumably it gives a vague impression at the least. I notice the London map area did highlight the huge area of around vauxhall and the like which used to be swampy.

my mother's farm was right on the coast of north mayo. the last time i was there, my cousin Sylvester said that he'd never seen the water so far inland (he lives nearby but not on it). that was 15 or more years ago. it wasn't close to the house then, but i wonder.

anyway, in manhattan we have little to worry about except on the lower east side, where embankments are being built. Gallery

but the people in jamaica bay should just move. Sea Level Rise and Brooklyn’s Jamaica Bay Communities: Storm Surge Barriers and Managed Retreat

Currently live in SW Northumberland, about as far away from either coast ...
and about 800' above mean sea level.

So, personally, not at all worried.

Would I move near to the coast or an inland area at risk from rising sea level ?
No, probably not.
Although I have a "share" in a wooden boat that lives on the west cumbrian coast ...

Having said all that I AM worried about rising sea levels, as it is a symptom of climate change ...
Here in the UK we need to do more to protect vulnerable homes and certain facilities at or near the current shoreline.

I'm not overly fond of this idea of managed retreat, when items such as a castle on the yorkshire coast has had the sea-defences around it updated, yet the same local council was reluctant to spend money protecting a busy harbour by funding work on the harbour piers. Similar situation in Norfolk, where certain energy importing facilities get protection and nearby villages don't ...

My parents retired to the Devon coast, amongst many others, and even they were like "ok I know there's a limited timescale people are worrying about but some of these guys are clearly nuts, that place will be in the sea in five years".

I think this model might be a bit aggressive. This is Romney Marshes with a 0.0 Metre rise in sea-level.

1689971490291.png

It may guess it may flood there if there was a an extreme high tide with a large storm surge at the same time. But that not going to happen every year.

i'm starting to give serious thought to moving back to london to be nearer mum-tat.

ideal combination would be somewhere SE london, but somewhere it's relatively easy to get across the river for the odd days i do have to go to the office (it's to the north of london, i only have to be there one or two days a month)

quite apart from natural concerns about getting my paws wet, i don't want to end up with somewhere that's not insurable and worthless in a few years...

Where I live now we get flooded pretty much every year. This is a river flooding rather than the sea. One flood in the last 5 years was particularly high and I had to be rescued by canoe!

The ground floor takes the brunt and the electrics are all fitted a couple of metres off the ground so usually they don't get wet but this one flood we had the water started coming up the stairs towards me in the night and I really worried it might even reach / flood the first floor.

In a panic I started moving my things like computers to the second floor but luckily the waters subsided.

One thing that always gets flooded is the gas meter which is at ground level. So when it floods usually in winter even just a little flood - I have no gas which for me means no heating. The people on the floor above have a gas cooker so for them it means no cooking and no heating.

Not super concerned.
Just because I live in London and feel like there will be a lot of resources put into keeping the area dry.

The family home in Ireland is on top of a hill too.
If you ever go to elounda in crete, walk over the little causeway onto kalydon and look right, where the city of olous used to be. It's now submerged

Back
Top Bottom