Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How will you vote in the AV referendum on 5th May 2010 ?

How will you vote in the referendum ?

• yes

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • no

Votes: 36 48.0%
  • spoiling ballet

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • won't vote

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • still undecided

Votes: 6 8.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
With fptp I make my one choice, he or she lose and so I'm effectively being told "No you can't have them as your MP, now bugger off." With AV my first choice loses so then I'm told "No you can't have them as your MP, but who would you like instead?"

AV isn't perfect but it's a whole lot fairer.

Brilliant. I love that description. Would it be better if you got to put all the candidates in your order of preference then?

No, it's nothing like that.
That [putting all the candidates in order of preference] is STV

No it isn't. STV would mean voting in a regions worth of MPs. Putting the candidates in order in one constituency would be like AV but with added bonus of everyone being able to say they voted for the winning candidate.

I'll be voting yes, becuase I think it's a better voting system. I think it's a shame that people are considering their vote on a partisan basis rather than the important issue but there you go. People are partisan about these things.

Each time you say this you push someone else into the no camp. Each time you associate a yes vote with the lib-dems you destroy another bit of the YES campaign. Please continue. Of course, what you shutting up means is that people can then point to the secret lib-dem hand on the wheel. You can't win. You can't do anything right - and you're taking PR down with you.

I'll be voting yes, becuase I think it's a better voting system. I think it's a shame that people are considering their vote on a partisan basis rather than the important issue but there you go. People are partisan about these things.

Why is it better when it is still majoritarian and can in fact be less proportional than FPTP?

Louis MacNeice

Each time you say this you push someone else into the no camp. Each time you associate a yes vote with the lib-dems you destroy another bit of the YES campaign. Please continue. Of course, what you shutting up means is that people can then point to the secret lib-dem hand on the wheel. You can't win. You can't do anything right - and you're taking PR down with you.

I think AV is a fairer system and i'm a Lib Dem who will be campaigning on it. If people choose to vote no becuase of that then that's their choice, it won't change me campaigning on what I think the better system is.

I think AV is a fairer system and i'm a Lib Dem who will be campaigning on it. If people choose to vote no becuase of that then that's their choice, it won't change me campaigning on what I think the better system is.

Even though it will delay the cause of real PR for generations if it passes? Some principles you have there.

It's more democratic as an MP has to win the popular vote of over 50% in their constituent. Therefore the MP is more representative of the democratic will.

That 50% only appears because the actual preferences of voters - the people they'd really like to see representing them - get thrown in the bin. If it's democratic legitimacy you're after PR is the way to go; AV isn't PR.

Louis MacNeice

If you don't support the coalition, you must support Labour, obv. The protests are nothing to do with policies and everything to do with a minority being pissed off that Labour lost the election. Surely you can see that?

How is that less likely if we have a no vote?

Sorry, cocked up. This is for ymu's "Even though it will delay the cause of real PR for generations if it passes?" comment.

ICM poll info - bit of a shambles really.

1) The big difference is that YouGov have introductory text explaining briefly what the two systems are (the actual explanations YouGov use originate from a a survey for the Electoral Reform Society back in November 2009). ICM’s poll doesn’t tell people anything about the systems.

2) ICM actually don’t mention FPTP at all in their question, it asks if people would vote for a new system called the alternative vote, or to keep the existing system. YouGov present it as a choice between two systems.

3) In their preable YouGov mention the referendum as something the coalition government are doing, while ICM just say it is due to happen in 2011.

How? YouGov's poll prefaces the question by saying "The Coalition government has offered a referendum" or some such which obviously skews people to reject it. That won't be the quesion on which people vote either.

Pollsters have different methodologies and the way in which questions are phrased makes a difference to the responses. How is any of this news?

How? YouGov's poll prefaces the question by saying "The Coalition government has offered a referendum" or some such which obviously skews people to reject it. That won't be the quesion on which people vote either.

Pollsters have different methodologies and the way in which questions are phrased makes a difference to the responses. How is any of this news?

Tell you what, read it, how about starting off there?

The big difference is that YouGov have introductory text explaining briefly what the two systems are (the actual explanations YouGov use originate from a a survey for the Electoral Reform Society back in November 2009). ICM’s poll doesn’t tell people anything about the systems.

It's your own question used by YG.

Perhaps explaining what the two majoritarian systems invovle is also 'skewing people to reject it'?

Louis MacNeice

p.s. BA this hive mind business is a bit alarming!

That 50% only appears because the actual preferences of voters - the people they'd really like to see representing them - get thrown in the bin. If it's democratic legitimacy you're after PR is the way to go; AV isn't PR.

Louis MacNeice

PR would almost certainly lead to more coalitions which as has been demonstrated leads to more political 'compromise' and horse trading behind closed doors. Given the widespread criticism of coalition parties dropping areas of their manifesto in recent weeks you could easily argue PR ends up with government that is not democratically elected or representative.

Back
Top Bottom