Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How will you vote in the AV referendum on 5th May 2010 ?

How will you vote in the referendum ?

• yes

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • no

Votes: 36 48.0%
  • spoiling ballet

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • won't vote

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • still undecided

Votes: 6 8.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It will ultimately, yes, but not at 1st preference stage. Why would they assume that a major challenger would crash out in the first round before the Greens? They wouldn't. Yes, there's still an issue with the tactical switches in the later stages not properly rewarding smaller parties for their support. But at least their real support is revealed at 1st pref stage. Even if there is not much unwind, that at least reveals the real scale of the obstacle they face.

Vote NO if you're happy with FPTP. If you're not at least keep an open mind - the national debate is only in the very early stages.

No - AV would show the true extent of disproportionality which is masked under the present system by tactical voting. Under AV a party like the Greens would see the true extent of their first preference support for the first time. A NO vote would be intepreted - not least by the Tories and the Tory leaning press - as a vindication of FPTP.

Butchers doesn't give a shit about getting PR anyway. People that do should think very carefully before the shoot down the prospect of moving forward.

What the fuck does that have to do with anything I said? Getting AV now means STV won't happen in our lifetimes. If you want a more proportional system, you should be voting no.

What the fuck does that have to do with anything I said? Getting AV now means STV won't happen in our lifetimes. If you want a more proportional system, you should be voting no.

That isn't the view taken by any significant national pro-PR organisation (ERS, Unlock Democracy [ie Charter 88], Joseph Rowntree Reform Trust, Power 2010, Make Votes Count, Lib Dems, Green Party, etc. etc.)
In fact ERS exists specifically to campaign for STV. But judges that AV is a step worth taking.

Not sure I am entitled to vote, and can't be bothered/don't want to find out. But if I was back in the UK I'd vote no, both because I think AV is every bit as bad a system as FPTP and because a no vote would damage the coalition.

This is about far more than pissing off the lib-dems.

My memory stretches back longer than a couple of months and if I wanted to piss someone off I'd still rather piss off the tories thank you very much.

No it's not - only those with an interest in promoting as so are arguing that. The constitutionally obsessed. This isn't PR or a step towards PR no matter how hard they try and palm it off as just that.

Have you read this? Which page of the 115 are these results on?

An ICM poll for the Electoral Reform Society shows that voters want a switch to the Alternative Vote (AV) system by a factor of 3:2. Thirty five per cent say they will vote ‘yes’ in the referendum, with 22% voting ‘no’ – and 35% undecided. The poll showed support across social classes and regions. The only age group with a majority against is 55-64 (31% yes, 33% no, 29% undecided). The findings are at odds with polling for YouGov which has shown the ‘No’ Campaign in the lead.

In which page of the 115 page report that the first link is about is the claim made in the first link to be found?

You did read this stuff before posting it right?

You get to vote for a second choice rather than all or nothing. Why is it worse?

Because that ability to have a 2nd choice results in yet more tactical voting - and with the exact same all or nothing end result. Why does getting the chance to have a second vote represent progress?

Because that ability to have a 2nd choice results in yet more tactical voting - and with the exact same all or nothing end result. Why does getting the chance to have a second vote represent progress?

As a voter, how is having the ability to declare my second preference as well as my first less democratic?

You can have 100 votes btw andrew, under any system you like - are they any more democratic just because you get more than one vote?

With fptp I make my one choice, he or she lose and so I'm effectively being told "No you can't have them as your MP, now bugger off." With AV my first choice loses so then I'm told "No you can't have them as your MP, but who would you like instead?"

AV isn't perfect but it's a whole lot fairer.

With fptp I make my one choice, he or she lose and so I'm effectively being told "No you can't have them as your MP, now bugger off." With AV my first choice loses so then I'm told "No you can't have them as your MP, but who would you like instead?"

So what? Why should you get a second go? Why is that more democratic? Tell me why it is.

Back
Top Bottom