Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How will you feel if England go out of the WC?

How will you feel if England lose?

• Total voters

Spymaster

Plastic Paddy
So England are second favourites to win the World Cup and just 2 games away from doing so. That's just weird!

How disappointed will you be if they go out against Croatia next week or lose in the final?

Before the tournament started I'd have been surprised if we got out of the group stage, not because of the team but because that's just what happens with England in international tournaments. There's no way I'd have expected them to win a penalty shoot out or get to the semi-finals so I'm already well chuffed. If the wheels come off now it's been a great ride. The players and the remarkably decent manager in particular have acquitted themselves with class and dignity that we haven't been accustomed to in English football and so far the fans have been pretty good too.

Well done all round, I say.

Last edited:
It's the best result for 28 years. But all other things being equal there's a high probability they'll not win.

Voted "absolutely GUTTED" because Croatia are beatable, but I've convinced myself that France or Belgium will win, so it will save us the grief of losing a final.

Combination of the first two options. I won't be angry, smashy gutted but mildly disappointed doesn't cover it.

I don't think I'll cry like a Swede (etc etc) 10 mins before full time if we're down but penalties are a cruel way to go out. Would probably shed a tear then.

Combination of the first two options. I won't be angry, smashy gutted but mildly disappointed doesn't cover it.

I don't think I'll cry like a Swede (etc etc) 10 mins before full time if we're down but penalties are a cruel way to go out. Would probably shed a tear then.
Yes, I couldn't think of an option to put between them. "Pissed off but not suicidal" maybe?

Like you, I thought we wouldn't progress out of the group - ive been too caught up in the hype of previous tournaments and actually swithced off from England, theres only so many time you can hear gerrard, lampard et al saying things are different, we're gunna win, only to crash out a week or so later. This England has been been brilliant and id be absolutley gutted.

On the plus side, I do have France.in the work sweepstake....

I'm just happy. It's been a great tournament and England have exceeded all expectations. We go out Wednesday there'll be a bit of "what might have been" disappointment and a few tears I imagine, but they've already won more than I expected - they won the fans back.

Southgate has been brilliant in everything he's done, and will deservedly get huge credit. He's shown you can be a leader without being aggressive, a bullshitter, an egomaniac, soulless or a twat.

As far as the team goes, they've already made it to that rarefied place where England fans will remember them as long as the game is played, and they've done it without being pricks. They've had as much fun as we have. And good on them for that.

But all of this is irrelevant and will have to be reconsidered in the light of England beating Croatia 1-0 on Wednesday then Belgium on pens in Sunday's final :p

Gutted obviously.

Cannot imagine the feeling and build up to England in a World Cup Final, probably feel less gutted about losing that than going out to Croatia. :D

I'm just happy. It's been a great tournament and England have exceeded all expectations. We go out Wednesday there'll be a bit of "what might have been" disappointment and a few tears I imagine, but they've already won more than I expected - they won the fans back.

Southgate has been brilliant in everything he's done, and will deservedly get huge credit. He's shown you can be a leader without being aggressive, a bullshitter, an egomaniac, soulless or a twat.

As far as the team goes, they've already made it to that rarefied place where England fans will remember them as long as the game is played, and they've done it without being pricks. They've had as much fun as we have. And good on them for that.

But all of this is irrelevant and will have to be reconsidered in the light of England beating Croatia 1-0 on Wednesday then Belgium on pens in Sunday's final :p
Yep, all this. :)

And to think it was supposed to have been Big Sam. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Nice article here, making some great points.

16 Conclusions: England 2-0 Sweden - Football365

The ‘it’s coming home’ meme has been appropriated by every media giant and social media account in the name of content, but its re-emergence has a deeper context than simply having a laugh. At no point did people actually think England would win this World Cup, but singing that song acted as a reminder of a golden time to support the national team, before disappointment became the norm.

It reflects not an expectation of glorious triumph, therefore, but of enjoying the journey. World Cup years are the best years, when football never stops and excitement never sleeps. We have been forced to enjoy too many of them without the England team giving the population much reason for cheer.

Then, just as expectations had sunk lower and an entire World Cup was being viewed as a stepping stone to success further down the line, real hope sprang eternal in the present. Gareth Southgate created a young-ish, inexperienced squad that believed in itself and persuaded us to believe in them. They pulled us in rather than us demanding they meet our dreams.

‘It’s coming home’ represents that optimism, the desire to have the time of your life and enjoy every minute because this can never last forever. And yet, inexplicably, it has lasted longer than any other World Cup since 1990.

Disappointed but not surprised.

I have never thought theyre good enough to win and nothing ive seen this tournament has changed my mind. Still I'll be hoping to be wrong and supporting em all the way.

France would beat them 3-1 no probs tho.

Voted "absolutely GUTTED" because Croatia are beatable, but I've convinced myself that France or Belgium will win, so it will save us the grief of losing a final.
About this. Four weeks ago, a semi-final would have been an amazing achievement. And it still will be. But, it's Croatia. A knackered Croatia. To lose to them would be gutting.

Back
Top Bottom