Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How useful would you rate, the economic analysis of Karl Marx [Das Kapital]..........

How useful would you rate, the economic analysis of Karl Marx [Das Kapital].

• Total voters
It's just respecting the proper title surely? Just as if you have a French film, you might refer to it in its original French title rather than a translated one - (e.g. La Cage aux Folles <> The Bird Cage)?

It's just respecting the proper title surely? Just as if you have a French film, you might refer to it in its original French title rather than a translated one - (e.g. La Cage aux Folles <> The Bird Cage)?

Would depend on how well know the film is an by what title. Say..if it's over 5 years and known by a foreign name i'd use that, if by an english name i'd do that.

Was only saying... to me personally I don't think its a massive deal either way, love detective seemed to be making the point that's all.

just curious that's all as it's not really applied (in english speaking circles) to any other political/economic/philosophic work - so why this one?

i'd also wager that there's a strong correlation between people who haven't read it and those who call it das kapital

strange - the way the whole thing unfolds & develops throughout the 3 volumes doesn't really lend itself to forgetting, conceptually, what preceded it - one of its many strengths in my opinion.
I unfortunately happen to suffer from a neurological deficit that means I have to read stuff 3-4 times before I properly absorb them, so strength or not, narrative flow or not, I'm afraid that I forget, however strange that may seem to you. :)

hence the point about the misunderstanding of capital as an economic text or analysis, and capital as an economic system

Rubin/Perlman best sums up for me what political economy in general and marx's political economy in particular is about:-

"Political economy deals with human working activity, not from the standpoint of its technical methods and instruments of labor, but from the standpoint of its social form. It deals with production relations which are established among people in the process of production."

In terms of this definition, political economy is not the study of prices or of scarce resources; it is a study of social relations, a study of culture. Political economy asks why the productive forces of society develop within a particular social form, why the machine process unfolds within the context of business enterprise, why industrialization takes the form of capitalist development. Political economy asks how the working activity of people is regulated in a specific, historical form of economy.
thank you for that explanation of your earlier comments, I understand your point now.

Ye, fair comment.

I'm not likely to read Kapital in the next coupla months, I might however watch/listen to the podcasts. Worth it? or better off waiting?

That's the thing about Harvey's lectures - they really should not be used as a quick intro to capital. They're not. They're a real in-depth look, not a blaggers guide.

I would also advise people not to read harvey or any other introductions until you've read at least vol 1 of the thing itself. There's no point.
but read together, complementary, is useful.

I make this point, because I did it as part of a reading group, and found that useful. People aquire knowledge in different ways.

Yes i have, beyond advertising it on here for years and working to getting the capital series out on torrent you mean?
LOL, never noticed.

Back
Top Bottom