Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How to deal with expectation to take retail/hospitality work laundry home to wash...

What should I do?

• Quiet quit the laundry task. Just don't do it.

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Don't do the laundry task, but tell the owner/boss you're not doing it.

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Bite tongue, carry on doing the laundry while simmering with resentment, you're lucky to have a job!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tell owner/boss it wasn't mentioned in job ad/interview, the additional work needs to be paid for.

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Carry on doing the laundry, expect no additional recompense, it's par for the course in such jobs.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Your boss is taking the piss, quit now.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Capitalism sucks.

Votes: 11 34.4%

• Total voters

AnnO'Neemus

Is so vanilla
...is this okay?

It wasn't mentioned in the job interview. Nor is there a detail job description. The only job description I have is from the job advert, which was quite brief and vague.

I literally worked for two days in my new job before being left in charge while the owner and his partner went away for the weekend, after being shown how to cash-up and lock-up. The place isn't open on Mondays, so on that first Sunday, I took the initiative to take home the kitchen tea towels and the staff serving aprons to wash, because the boss was away. I thought I was being nice and doing a favour because he wasn't around.

The second Sunday, the boss was supposed to come in but didn't, he sent me a WhatsApp message saying he was spending the day with his son. So I 'had to' take the tea towels and aprons home to wash again, because the other weekend staff only work weekends, they don't work on Tuesdays when they all need to be clean for. I'd previously mentioned that I was due to have minor gynae surgery on the Monday, but should be able to work on the Tuesday, but I wouldn't be able to operate machinery like the meat slicer or climb a ladder in case anything was needed off a top shelf, but other than that should be fine to work. He replied saying that Tuesday would probably be quiet so I should work on Wednesday instead. But I ended up having to go to work on Tuesday morning anyway, briefly, to take the tea towels and aprons in.

Owner hasn't mentioned anything, hasn't said thanks even. I had thought I was being nice and helpful in a new job the first week, taking the initiative to do it myself, but it seems like there's an expectation that I will be taking the laundry home and doing it on my day off.

I mean, I have enough fucking laundry of my own to be doing on my days off, especially because there's a 'black and whites' sort of uniform, plus my own normal non-work clothes and household textiles.

Is this kind of thing a 'normal' expectation?

Should I ask to be paid for the time taken to do the laundry on a point of principle? If so, how much time is reasonable? I put the aprons on a 15 minute 'quick wash' because they're black and not really dirty, and I put the tea towels on an hour long hot wash, because of hygiene. So it probably takes an hour and a half by the time I've faffed about hanging them up and folding them up after drying, etc.

Should I just not take it home?

Should I tell the owner that he needs to organise a laundry service, because I'm not doing it?

Nah that's horseshit, if you had no facilities at home (if you do?) did they expect you to pay for washing and drying? Is that added to your net salary? People who have to do their own uniform should get an allowance, forget everyone else's. I would say yes to high end but high end won't have you doing it.

Re read this, no absolutely do not do anything you are not paid for especially on days you are not paid for it.

For those expected to launder their work uniform there’s a tax credit you can get

But that would be your apron surely, not all the aprons and is a tea towel part of a uniform?
Yep. I get a massive tax credit of £60 per annum in respect of my uniform which is treated the same as ambulance crews I believe.
Washing tea towels, serviettes etc. Is a no in my book without proper prior agreement.

...is this okay?

It wasn't mentioned in the job interview. Nor is there a detail job description. The only job description I have is from the job advert, which was quite brief and vague.

I literally worked for two days in my new job before being left in charge while the owner and his partner went away for the weekend, after being shown how to cash-up and lock-up. The place isn't open on Mondays, so on that first Sunday, I took the initiative to take home the kitchen tea towels and the staff serving aprons to wash, because the boss was away. I thought I was being nice and doing a favour because he wasn't around.

The second Sunday, the boss was supposed to come in but didn't, he sent me a WhatsApp message saying he was spending the day with his son. So I 'had to' take the tea towels and aprons home to wash again, because the other weekend staff only work weekends, they don't work on Tuesdays when they all need to be clean for. I'd previously mentioned that I was due to have minor gynae surgery on the Monday, but should be able to work on the Tuesday, but I wouldn't be able to operate machinery like the meat slicer or climb a ladder in case anything was needed off a top shelf, but other than that should be fine to work. He replied saying that Tuesday would probably be quiet so I should work on Wednesday instead. But I ended up having to go to work on Tuesday morning anyway, briefly, to take the tea towels and aprons in.

Owner hasn't mentioned anything, hasn't said thanks even. I had thought I was being nice and helpful in a new job the first week, taking the initiative to do it myself, but it seems like there's an expectation that I will be taking the laundry home and doing it on my day off.

I mean, I have enough fucking laundry of my own to be doing on my days off, especially because there's a 'black and whites' sort of uniform, plus my own normal non-work clothes and household textiles.

Is this kind of thing a 'normal' expectation?

Should I ask to be paid for the time taken to do the laundry on a point of principle? If so, how much time is reasonable? I put the aprons on a 15 minute 'quick wash' because they're black and not really dirty, and I put the tea towels on an hour long hot wash, because of hygiene. So it probably takes an hour and a half by the time I've faffed about hanging them up and folding them up after drying, etc.

Should I just not take it home?

Should I tell the owner that he needs to organise a laundry service, because I'm not doing it?
No, it's not on.

Is your employer making a contribution to the cost of owning a washing machine?
Are they giving you anything to compensate for your power use, water use, or materials (washing powder)?
Is the time you have to spend doing this washing reflected in your pay packet in any way?

I am willing to bet that the answer to all of those questions is "no".

We have drifted into a culture where (some) employers hold all the cards, with a general perception that "you should be grateful to have a job with us", and a reliance on people's reluctance to say "no". It's boundary pushing, pure and simple, just like tacking an hour onto the end of a shift, expecting people to cover for absence at short notice, etc. They have taken employee goodwill, and perverted it into an obligation.

So, my vote was "don't do it, and tell the boss you're not doing it". But to that I'd add, start looking for another job - your employer might be reasonable, but it's equally possible you'll be flagged as a "troublesome staff member" and start finding all kinds of insidious crap coming your way. You'll feel better for having at least the possibility of an escape route.

No, not on.

I get that it's expected but it is taking the piss. There should be enough tea-towels or whatever that a rota with other staff would work, but it should be paid for, no matter who does it.
If you, as an employee do it, then time, materials and wear n tear on your washer & dryer must be paid for - and in full.

If t'boss wants it done for free, then he should do it !

PS, I take towels etc home from work to launder, but then, I'm the boss, so practising what I preached ^^^^ !

For those expected to launder their work uniform there’s a tax credit you can get

But that would be your apron surely, not all the aprons and is a tea towel part of a uniform?
I need to query with ACAS or HMRC whether requiring staff that wear 'black and whites' counts as uniform. It's quite common in bars/restaurants for companies to require staff to wear black trousers or skirt and a white top, although in our case, it seems the top can be black or white.

I’m not clear if you’ve actually been asked to do this, or are just doing it because you feel someone should?
I did it because on my first Sunday (last day of the working week, because it's closed on Monday, reopens Tuesday), the boss had gone away, left me in charge, and there were only a couple of part-time staff, who only work weekends, so they couldn't launder them and bring them back in on Tuesday.

So I just took them home to wash, because it had all been a bit of a blur/bit of a whirl starting the job, being quickly and minimally trained, then left in sole charge with part-time staff under me.

I assumed that when the boss was back, he'd take care of it. He was supposed to be coming in the following Sunday for a few hours, but in the end he didn't come in so I ended up taking them home again.

Blacks should be put in a hot bleach wash

Whites would go in with coloureds, especially a new pair of jeans or similar
😱🤣

Sadly, I'm quite OCD-ish about separating coloured items from whites and darks. I'll often wash pinks, red and oranges together, and do a separate blues and greens wash, etc.

I never turn white sheets or shirts pink by accidentally throwing in a red t-shirt or pair of socks. 😁

I need to query with ACAS or HMRC whether requiring staff that wear 'black and whites' counts as uniform. It's quite common in bars/restaurants for companies to require staff to wear black trousers or skirt and a white top, although in our case, it seems the top can be black or white.
The issue here doesn’t seem to be with the detail of the rules. The issue is that your employer is taking the piss and you need to resist (with working hours on other thread too).

I did it because on my first Sunday (last day of the working week, because it's closed on Monday, reopens Tuesday), the boss had gone away, left me in charge, and there were only a couple of part-time staff, who only work weekends, so they couldn't launder them and bring them back in on Tuesday.

So I just took them home to wash, because it had all been a bit of a blur/bit of a whirl starting the job, being quickly and minimally trained, then left in sole charge with part-time staff under me.

I assumed that when the boss was back, he'd take care of it. He was supposed to be coming in the following Sunday for a few hours, but in the end he didn't come in so I ended up taking them home again.
I’m still not entirely clear.

Sounds like no one has asked you or told you to take any laundry home?

I’m still not entirely clear.

Sounds like no one has asked you or told you to take any laundry home?
Sorry, I thought it was clear that no one asked me, I got to the end of the last shift on the last day of the week and there was a pile of dirty tea towels and no one else there to deal with them, because the only other staff were part-timers who weren't scheduled to work until the next weekend.

Last edited:
I thought it was that no one asked me, I got to the end of the last shift on the last day of the week and there was a pile of dirty tea towels and no one else there to deal with them.

Then when you get to the same situation next time phone the boss annd ask him what do you want me to do with this pile of laundry? If he doesn’t reply, leave it.

It’s not your problem until you’re told it is.

Then deal with that situation as it arises.

I thought it was that no one asked me, I got to the end of the last shift on the last day of the week and there was a pile of dirty tea towels and no one else there to deal with them.
Not in your job description, no one has asked you to do anything with them. Not your problem.

Sounds like you’ve taken it upon yourself to do it when you haven’t been asked and no one has even noticed you’ve done it anyway. So just don’t.

As someone who's only worked retail, not hospitality, what's the common practice with stuff like this?

Presume there's generally a dishwasher or whatever for all the goods used, but is there normally a washing machine for fabric stuff? Or at least a regular trip to the local laundrette?

Sorry, I thought it was clear that no one asked me, I got to the end of the last shift on the last day of the week and there was a pile of dirty tea towels and no one else there to deal with them, because the only other staff were part-timers who weren't scheduled to work until the next weekend.
If they didnt ask .
.then don't do anything voluntarily

AIUI, if the clothing is exclusively used for work, then it counts as uniform.

To stretch a point, if your favoured clothing is (say) Laura Ashley frocks, and your employer requires you to wear Laura Ashley frocks at work, it is to some extent a uniform (in that case, I'd probably, at least officially, have "work" frocks and "home" frocks, even if there was actually some crossover in practice - it's highly unlikely that the Revenue is going to turn up at your home to do a wardrobe inspection).

Back
Top Bottom