Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How is raising interest rates supposed to help with the kind of inflation we are having now?

i am scared for my (ex) other half who has taken on the mortgage - she is on a tracker for teh next two years, and things are managable. can it be the situation where they wack another 1 or 2 hundred quid on teh mortgage after that, effectively meaning out ship sinks. i own 40% of the hosue but it's where my kids live and obv it is a concern.

I have no nag in this race but QE and it’s chums only relatively recently tapered. When yer dealing with government debt at this scale for a decade ,it has to go hand in hand with dead interest rates

i am scared for my (ex) other half who has taken on the mortgage - she is on a tracker for teh next two years, and things are managable. can it be the situation where they wack another 1 or 2 hundred quid on teh mortgage after that, effectively meaning out ship sinks. i own 40% of the hosue but it's where my kids live and obv it is a concern.
Is it manageable if it tracks up another 2%?

When the tracker deal comes to an end, she’ll want to get another deal. That’s true regardless of what is happening to rates. Because yes, it will immediately become more expensive.

I always imagined the effects on the exchange rate has the biggest effect as we have a lot of physical imported goods.
Trouble is so much debt has been encouraged over the last two decades the knock on effects are more amplified than in previous periods of inflation.

Interest rate rises around the globe are now being placed at the centre of narratives about concerns of a global slowdown/recession, eg:

Analysts are starting to worry that the global sweep of the rate hikes, which ripple out to the public in the form of more expensive mortgages, loans and credit card debt, could lead to greater economic slowdown than policymakers expect.

Using this thread for a vehicle for general points around inflation...the Guardian publishes this graphic from the ONS showing just how high inflation has been over the last year for the basic foodstuffs that poorer folk rely on to survive.

What shook me about these numbers is that they are already well out of date, being September YoY, and it's really scary to think about what's happened over the last quarter to dramatically worsen people's ability to feed themselves and their families. This country really is down the shitter. :mad:

1671710042819.png

When we bought this house, the mortgage rate was over 15%.

Same, but what does that add to the current concerns about cost of living? Many different variables back in the late 80's.
Rather hoping that it doesn't hit that level again.

We knew what we were signing up to, and mortgage rates steadily went down. It must be terrifying for people who bought at max affordability when rates were very low.

£900.00 per person?
yes - per room
i met a young couple from Ireland in the pub the other day who moved to london because it was cheaper than dublin!!
this was posted on the bandwidth thread yesterday - its not an exaggeration

daily_picdump_4229_640_07.jpg

yes - per room
i met a young couple from Ireland in the pub the other day who moved to london because it was cheaper than dublin!!

I'm sure it's palatial and they're just sleeping and working in the kitchen to save on heating. :hmm:

£900.00 per person?
My nephew has quit his job in London and moved back to Crewe to live with his mother (my sister) and his stepdad since he was paying £750 pm for a 6"x6" room in a shared house in London (Golders Green I think) and the rent was about to go up again.
He reckoned he was on a hiding to nothing and realised he would never realistically be able to afford anything else if he stayed there. He says it just dawned on him that there was no way things were ever going to materially improve for him.
He has basically just had to restart his life at the age of 32.

My nephew has quit his job in London and moved back to Crewe to live with his mother (my sister) and his stepdad since he was paying £750 pm for a 6"x6" room in a shared house in London (Golders Green I think) and the rent was about to go up again.
He reckoned he was on a hiding to nothing and realised he would never realistically be able to afford anything else if he stayed there. He says it just dawned on him that there was no way things were ever going to materially improve for him.
To be fair, Crewe is not the only alternative to Golders Green. It’s not London or the north. If you’re willing to live in a town surrounding London (like Watford, say), that £750 would potentially get you a studio flat rather than a 6x6 bedroom. I guess it comes down to where work is and what commuting costs would be.

are you sure it was a six inch by six inch room? even a six foot by six foot room seems unlikely

Not to blame the victim but so many people my age just unquestioningly accept rent rises without saying no or challenging it. I'm hoping this starts to change. 750 for a room is already really steep, even in London. especially for a box room! If people just move out it lets the letting agents and landlords get away with it.

Realistically what are they gonna do if loads of shared flats tell them to GTF? take them all to court when theyre still paying rent?

Not to blame the victim but so many people my age just unquestioningly accept rent rises without saying no or challenging it. I'm hoping this starts to change. 750 for a room is already really steep, even in London. If people just move out it lets the letting agents and landlords get away with it.

Realistically what are they gonna do if loads of shared flats tell them to GTF? take them all to court when theyre still paying rent?
as i've found out this morning, there's something like a 75 week rent for things to come to county court - and that presumably after mediation etc.

yes - per room

Where abouts in London can you get a 2 bed flat for 900pm

Back
Top Bottom