Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How do you make your carbonara?

Having read some of cheesy's recipe suggestions I really hope she's talking about Y I Otter. Although, how the fuck anyone can assess cooking skill via t'web is beyond me. Otter's a good un though, with some healthy sounding combos

Cheesy's usually one of the bung balsamic vinegar and the kitchen sink into most recipes brigade, which is why I was pleasantly surprised by the simple carbonara rightness espoused here.
:)

Chefs

Most people on this board are not any kind of chef. Chefs runs kitchens. People cooking at home are cooks.

Most people on this board are not any kind of chef. Chefs runs kitchens. People cooking at home are cooks.

There are at least a couple of chefs or ex chefs here. I'm not quite sure what that's meant to say or why the classification's important to you
:confused:

Heavens, I haven't been here long enough to be the resident superior anything. :)

I have been a chef, but I doubt the half-dozen catering gigs I do in a year qualify me to use the title anymore.

I just have a lot of bistro experience and I employ it daily as a home cook, and I do like to share what I know with other people.

That said, I'm as much here to learn what you lot think about food as I am to impart culinary "wisdom". It's a cliché here in North America that people in the UK are all about curry takeaways and bangers and mash. It's been a real eye-opener to see how diverse British cuisine is and how accomplished and knowledgable British home cooks really are. :)

Having read some of cheesy's recipe suggestions I really hope she's talking about Y I Otter. Although, how the fuck anyone can assess cooking skill via t'web is beyond me. Otter's a good un though, with some healthy sounding combos

Cheesy's usually one of the bung balsamic vinegar and the kitchen sink into most recipes brigade, which is why I was pleasantly surprised by the simple carbonara rightness espoused here.
:)

oh do shut up twerpy! your sweeping comments about balsamic come from nowhere, and you have totally contradicted yerself there old boy! heh!:D

a friend was once eating in a pub in cumbria. He ordered a beef carbonara, the waitress brought him steak an chips, and when he said "no i ordered the carbonara" she said "that is one, thats how we do it round here"

so maybe we shouldnt worry about cream

We all have our strengths and weaknesses, so it's difficult to judge these things, especially in a medium like this. If I were to make a comprehensive list of dishes, processes and indeed whole genres of cooking I totally suck at, you'd take it back, I think. :)

Y_i_Otter strikes me as a far better cook than missfran.

As a trained chef, I'm sure he is better. I'm just a home cook, and I've only been cooking for 7 years. It's not a competition, but thanks for making it clear you think I'm inferior :rolleyes:

It's not a competition, but thanks for making it clear you think I'm inferior

There will always be people "better" than you at whatever you do. I write, and although I have had some success I dont kid myself I'm Chekhov and wouldn't have a flounce about it if someone pointed it out to me.

It's Cheesy. I wouldn't take it to heart. Her friends think she's wonderful, sublime and amazing don't you know, that kind of thing.

You've done some fantastic work on your food blog and I always enjoy reading YI's menu choices and selections. Nice to have both of you around.

Appreciate what YI's saying about techniques and strengths as well. I'm hugely confident in some cuisines and cooking areas, much less so in others. I've never been particularly arsed with desserts or pastry and have very basic abilities there as a result, yet I could butcher and process most animals fairly professionally and quickly. I like and admire the way you're methodically trying out new skills and recipes on your blog - it's always easy to settle into a more restricted range. I'm lucky to have so much unusual produce on my doorstep, which helps keep a lazy arse like me on my toes.

There will always be people "better" than you at whatever you do. I write, and although I have had some success I dont kid myself I'm Chekhov and wouldn't have a flounce about it if someone pointed it out to me.

How would you know about someone's cooking skills from their words on a bulletin board though? I don't think anyone's being precious - it's just a daft, slightly weird comment. At best you can tell that someone doesn't know what they're talking about, or can doubt their choice of combinations.

I can tell that YI knows food deeply (and probably has more spontaniety through experience) and that Fran uses sound techniques and ingredients. And that's about it - I suspect both of them can cook cracking food.

I had to look up a picture of carbonara to see what it was.

What I do, is start with an alfredo sauce. Then I fry bacon, and lightly cook some shelled prawns in another pan, just enough to get some of the water out of them, but not shrink them too much.

Once the bacon is totally fried, I take it and crumble it, then throw it into the alfredo sauce along with the prawns.

I put that over spaghettini, although the kids kind of like it on those shell shaped noodles, or even penne. I keep experimenting to find the best pasta that delivers the most sauce per mouthful.

What's an alfredo sauce to you Johnny?

Is it basically a cream and mushroom sauce, occasionally with peas? Seems a popular US term and seems to vary in ingredients a little - it's one of those dishes where it's difficult to work out if there's a 'common'/authentic version.

Back
Top Bottom