Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How do you feel about unvaccinated people?

pbsmooth

A couple of people near me in the office loudly talking about going on holiday and testing requirements, "as I'm not jabbed am I". while I am generally pretty freedom of choice and each to their own and all that, I can't help but find myself thinking, why the fuck not you stupid idiots. of course you never know why, and there may be valid reasons (doubt it) but at least one of them has been open about all the usual conspiracy stuff - it's not tested, people having bad reactions, doesn't protect you anyway blah blah. anyone else had any experience of this? do you think it's OK for people not to be jabbed at this point? I am kinda just ranting...

I have seen anti-vax views all over the internet, often by right wing loons. But not always the right. I personally know some on the left who assume it is all a worldwide conspiracy by governments to control their populations. The Downing St parties were seen by such types on both right and left less as an issue of double standards but as proof that the ruling classes knew there was nothing to be afraid of, and that it was all a lie to get control of us.

Trying to reason with a conspiracy theorist is like trying to reason with a fundamentalist God-botherer. No amount of reasoned argument or evidence will ever make the slightest bit of difference.

zero fucks given here, it's up to them if they want to take the risk, and despite what some people claim it isn't really going to affect anyone else as it has a pretty mild effect on transmission

I thought 4th injection was for over 50s only? I had mine ages ago.

Over 75s & special reasons.

• a spring booster for people aged 75 and over, people who live in a care home for older people, or people aged 12 and over who have a weakened immune system

It’s ok with me as long as they’re not peddling anti-vax conspiracy nonsense.

No matter how much I personally feel it’s better to get jabbed and it’s been proven to be safe by the hundreds of millions who have now been vaccinated, I have never endorsed mandatory vaccination and respect the rights of others to not get it. It’s their risk, not mine.

It’s ok with me as long as they’re not peddling anti-vax conspiracy nonsense.

No matter how much I personally feel it’s better to get jabbed and it’s been proven to be safe by the hundreds of millions who have now been vaccinated, I have never endorsed mandatory vaccination and respect the rights of others to not get it. It’s their risk, not mine.
I mostly agree with that, although those working with vulnerable people are a special case where vaccination could be argued to be a reasonable requirement of the job.

. . . respect the rights of others to not get it. It’s their risk, not mine.

But it's not though, is it - there are people who simply can't be vaccinated for very real medical reasons not some BS reason - and it's for these people that we all should be vaccinated if at all possible

Look on it as another variant of the shopping trolley test (posted, I think, in the bandwidth thread), which gives a good indicator if the person involved is willing to be a valid member of a society that I want to live in

But it's not though, is it - there are people who simply can't be vaccinated for very real medical reasons not some BS reason - and it's for these people that we all should be vaccinated if at all possible

Look on it as another variant of the shopping trolley test (posted, I think, in the bandwidth thread), which gives a good indicator if the person involved is willing to be a valid member of a society that I want to live in

It's not like measles, where that argument would be valid, but covid-vaccinated people can easily become infected and transmit it to others.

OK I take the point. And I agree everyone should get vaccinated if they can, but I still stop short of making it mandatory.

It's not like measles, where that argument would be valid, but covid-vaccinated people can easily become infected and transmit it to others.

Fair point, but I do feel that failure to get vaccinated when you are perfectly able to does indicate a general attitude of "Fuck you, I'm alright" and when that button gets pushed I can get very VERY harsh in my approach to non / anti-vaccinated BY CHOICE people

I have seen anti-vax views all over the internet, often by right wing loons. But not always the right. I personally know some on the left who assume it is all a worldwide conspiracy by governments to control their populations. The Downing St parties were seen by such types on both right and left less as an issue of double standards but as proof that the ruling classes knew there was nothing to be afraid of, and that it was all a lie to get control of us.

Trying to reason with a conspiracy theorist is like trying to reason with a fundamentalist God-botherer. No amount of reasoned argument or evidence will ever make the slightest bit of difference.
Or an American gun enthusiast.

Scotland here too and have had 4th at the end of April (was in vulnerable group during pandemic) but I know other immuno-suppressed ppl up here who have only just had their appts through.

Fair point, but I do feel that failure to get vaccinated when you are perfectly able to does indicate a general attitude of "Fuck you, I'm alright" and when that button gets pushed I can get very VERY harsh in my approach to non / anti-vaccinated BY CHOICE people
Indeed, they are selfish idiots putting others more vulnerable than them at risk.

Like you I recognise a distinction between those who cannot be vaccinated for legitimate medical reasons, and those who simply choose not to be through believing some idiotic hare-brained shit.

I very much sympathise with the former but have no fucks left to give for the latter.

Back
Top Bottom