Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

house smells of smoke

Miss-Shelf

I'll meet you further on up the road
There was quite a big fire in the next door house yesterday. Fortunately, houses either side were not damaged and no one was injured [cannabis farm].

Fire brigade had the doors and windows to my house open for house during and following the fire and now it smells bad.

I am going to inform my insurers as I think they'll need to know in case of any future problem. [for instance, water has got in under a laminate floor and swelled up a bit...water got in though an open window onto kitchen cupboards.

But mainly, I want to know how to get rid of smell of smoke. Any advice?

Interesting. First paragraph looks good as first stage.

Do they suggest joss sticks at any point? :)

This could be a helluva job tbh Miss-Shelf ..
I’m very glad to know no one was injured, and I’m sorry you’ve had to deal with this at all. It’s a nasty business.

My crazy mother was prone to setting house fires when I was a nipper, and I have to say that you can get ambushed by the overwhelming residues for a long time afterwards. I remember opening a drawer years after the last fire and being assaulted by my limbic memory as the smell of housefire billowed out.

I think if I had to deal with it now, I’d take the time over as long a time as it takes to do a proper deep clean into all the drawers and even beneath them, with soapy water and bicarb. That’s in large part my own caution, never wanting to have that sudden surprise ambush again.

I’d take the time and put in the effort to do a proper deep clean , wipe down in all the crevasses with proper cleaner. House fire residue is quite oily, so water isn’t enough.

Last edited:
I think all you can do is scrub everything as has been suggested and then leave windows open as often as possible. Not easy as it's winter. I hope there isn't any lasting water damage.

Washing the walls would be a serious undertaking that I think I'd only do if an initial clean of all the things in the house doesn't make a noticeable difference.

I'm contacting my insurance today as I think they need to know about the damage next door ...owner of house next door probably doesn't have insurance against malicious damage (she doesn't think) maybe she was in on it too

Actually I'd lay off cleaning soft furnishings, curtains etc until I'd given the place a really good airing and cleaned all the floors and hard surfaces. See where you are after that.
I'm never a big cleaner so it will take a while ;)

My lodger had been brilliant considering she'd just got in her pjs to sleep off a hang over and then got evacuated in her bare feet! Luckily the neighbours rallied round and now she knows them all!

Anyway she aired and cleaned yesterday before I got back and is going to work at home to air it today and I can do same on Thursday :thumbs:

Are you sure it’s still usable though? :hmm:
Tbh the kitchen is just about holding itself together before this but I don't think it can be written off unless I get an ambitious company sent on behalf of insurers!

I'm never a big cleaner so it will take a while ;)

My lodger had been brilliant considering she'd just got in her pjs to sleep off a hang over and then got evacuated in her bare feet! Luckily the neighbours rallied round and now she knows them all!

Anyway she aired and cleaned yesterday before I got back and is going to work at home to air it today and I can do same on Thursday :thumbs:
Bloody hell that all sounds terrifying! Stupid idiots next door with their lights not giving a thought to the people living either side. Hope you’re both ok!

Related story....

My SIL had a flat in Kennington years ago. A few doors down there was a trustifarian* couple with kids who had a Buddhist shrine in their lounge. The kids played with the candles one day and started a massive fire which took out their house and structurally damaged and smoke damaged all the flats on the row - even temporarily closing the co-op that was below.

All the owners and renters had to find other places to live for a few months. The trustifarians assured everyone that they would be fine as they were going to live on their grandparents estate* which had plenty of space (no apology was ever forthcoming).

When SIL moved back in, she bumped into one of the trustifarians on the walkway/balcony. The woman had just been shopping. In the top of the shopping bag was a large box of candles.

The * links to the fact their parents have a country pile I think? With ref to them being trustifarians .

Regarding smoke smell, few years back we had a candle and curtain incident, our insurance co were willing to pay for all clothes to be drycleaned etc etc...

Back
Top Bottom