Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

House of the Dragon (GoT prequel)

It's actually quite boring isnt it? GoT started with a bang (literally).. and was actually funny... the guy who was banging his sister was hilarious. And Peter whatshisname too. This is all looking a little dull.

And for all the money, the CGI is also not great. The dragons dont even look as good as the GoT ones.
I do think the generally very positive ratings are skewed by people’s faith in the series turning out to be as good as GoT, and the knowledge that the pace is anything but fast.

If GoT hadn’t yet been made and this was the first series on this universe people had seen, I suspect the reception and ratings for these opening two episodes would have been rather different.

I think fantasy on screen needs kids and cynical people to be fun watching. Otherwise it’s just a succession of po-faced twenty to forty-somethings who can’t get over themselves.

Imagine GoT without Arya and Joffrey or the Hound and Varis etc

Last edited:
In terms of likeable characters, I think Criston Cole is gonna be the man. He's bested presumed tyrant-to-be Daemon in the joust, pleased the entitled Princess and he has beautiful eyes, so I don't care about anything else he does. Did I mention he has beautiful eyes? This is a recent thing with me, probably due to my advancing years and is likely going to be an issue this series- put your bare bum away, just take your sunglasses off and smile for me, etc...

Some bad ass Daemon action this episode. :cool:

Haven't read the books this is based on but hope Rheanyers (sp) makes it to the throne.

Strange that they’re on at the same time. If the TV golden age is Britpop I think this is Oasis and LOTR: Rings of Power is Blur

Good episode but i was slightly disapointed we didn't get more battle scenes with the crab feeder. I like the politics stuff but was looking forward to a battle this week. I did think the crab feeder looked more mad max than GOT though :)

In terms of likeable characters, I think Criston Cole is gonna be the man. He's bested presumed tyrant-to-be Daemon in the joust, pleased the entitled Princess and he has beautiful eyes, so I don't care about anything else he does. Did I mention he has beautiful eyes? This is a recent thing with me, probably due to my advancing years and is likely going to be an issue this series- put your bare bum away, just take your sunglasses off and smile for me, etc...

I'm expecting a tedious forbidden love plot between him and Rhaeneyra or however you spell Princess Grumpy Chops.

It’s very bad but I’m still watching it.
All this constant talk of heir this heir that and all I’m seeing is hair this and hair that.
The crabcatcher fell for a very obvious ploy, didn’t he? Did they think the dragons were on furlough or summat? And they should have at least shown his demise

I thought the dragon squashing the dude who thought he was going to be saved was very funny.
I'd like to think it was a deliberate analogy on how the people (with the desire to live and prosper) get trod on (without a thought) by the great and the good during their continuous battles for power.

However I suspect I'm giving them too much credit.

I'd like to think it was a deliberate analogy on how the people (with the desire to live and prosper) get trod on (without a thought) by the great and the good during their continuous battles for power.

However I suspect I'm giving them too much credit.
I thought that but then wondered whether I was reading too much into a splat gag.

A blog I was reading pointed out that Matt Smith had no dialogue in that episode. Which is pretty cool.

I thought that but then wondered whether I was reading too much into a splat gag.

A blog I was reading pointed out that Matt Smith had no dialogue in that episode. Which is pretty cool.
They're wrong.
He does a come out and face me you coward type rant at the start.

Which I find a bit rich seeing as he's sat on a fire breathing dragon at the time.
Like a school bully shouting come out and face me you coward whilst his 7 foot already shaving gorrila of a mate is stood next to him.

Pretty sure he did at the start. Shouting to the crab feeder to come out.

The crab feeder didn't speak though iirc.

He’s such a strange looking actor - not exactly movie star looks but somehow considered appealing enough to be a lead on films.
What’s he like in Dr Who?

Back
Top Bottom