Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

House of the Dragon (GoT prequel)

Really enjoyed Ep1. Some great fan service - the idea that a Targaryen has to be on the Iron Throne to defeat the horror coming from the North being classified info was nice, as was Paddy Considine wearing the Valeriyan Steen dagger that caused a lot of the bother in GoT. Can't quite take Matt Smith seriously enough as a bad guy and I did NOT need to see him doing a sex thing but the casting is good, the music with its hints then finally reworking of the famous theme was great and the lingering shots of the architecture fans will recognise but in an older setting was really nice. Looking forward to Monday nights being GoT nights again.

Can't quite take Matt Smith seriously enough as a bad guy
actually watching a second time, i suspect the real villian is the hand of the king hightower. It was him that suggested dr who be put in charge of law and order. Did he set him up to fail? :hmm: are those "gold cloaks" really working for him? :hmm: he certainly had his spys at the brothel :hmm: and he was quick to get his daughter to "comfort" the king :hmm:

Really enjoyed Ep1. Some great fan service - the idea that a Targaryen has to be on the Iron Throne to defeat the horror coming from the North being classified info was nice, as was Paddy Considine wearing the Valeriyan Steen dagger that caused a lot of the bother in GoT. Can't quite take Matt Smith seriously enough as a bad guy and I did NOT need to see him doing a sex thing but the casting is good, the music with its hints then finally reworking of the famous theme was great and the lingering shots of the architecture fans will recognise but in an older setting was really nice. Looking forward to Monday nights being GoT nights again.
I've not seen it yet but that sounds right up my street, ta. Sounds worthy of resurrecting my NowTV subscription.

By random chance we were at one of the filming locations on Sunday, without knowing it. Hartland point in Devon.

View attachment 339310

This was where they filmed the funeral scene.
Ah I wondered where that was. I know that they filmed a fair bit round my way too. St Michael's Mount and Kynance Cove too, I think.

I liked it. Paddy Considine's character was good, and Rhys Ifans is good as the Hand of the King, too. The bloke that looks a bit like Blofeld from James Bond intrigued me - I think he'll be like The Spider in the original. All the jousting bit I enjoyed as it reminded me of the even more brutal jousting scene in GoT.

Plot looks interesting and, unusually for me, doesn't appear to have totally baffled me yet. Plenty of time for that, I'm sure.

Yep, thumbs up from me. Ticked lots of boxes.

Never known how to do

If use chrome/brave/similar browser get a plugin like Touch VPN. Start your VPN. You need this as most ISPs block sites like these.
Download a program for downloading torrents. I use qbittorrent. Deluge is also ok.
Go to thepiratebay.org
Find what you want
Download it, it should open in the program for torrents.
Once it's finished watch and enjoy.
Optional extra. Download a program like VLC for playing a wide range of file types.

I'm sure plenty would be happy to help if you have questions on any of these steps.

Last edited:
Watched it, enjoyed it. Maybe I didn't enjoy it and I've convinced myself I did because THRONES IS BACK!?! THRONES IS BACK!!!

My main uptake is that I'm very disappointed Thronecast isn't back with it. I need Sue Perkins and Jonathan Ross to explain to me what I've just seen! Sky have fucked up there, as it used to persuade me to (re)watch the offical broadcast at 9PM as that was on immediately after.

OK, srsly, they were noticably light on locations and sets; does this mean HotD is one/two series and done? It's based on a single book after all, and it's not being directed by Peter Jackson. Time to move on to something else? Dunk and Egg? Ned & Rob Go Large? Queen Sansa and Alice Karstark's Excellent Adventure?

Watched it, enjoyed it. Maybe I didn't enjoy it and I've convinced myself I did because THRONES IS BACK!?! THRONES IS BACK!!!

My main uptake is that I'm very disappointed Thronecast isn't back with it. I need Sue Perkins and Jonathan Ross to explain to me what I've just seen! Sky have fucked up there, as it used to persuade me to (re)watch the offical broadcast at 9PM as that was on immediately after.

OK, srsly, they were noticably light on locations and sets; does this mean HotD is one/two series and done? It's based on a single book after all, and it's not being directed by Peter Jackson. Time to move on to something else? Dunk and Egg? Ned & Rob Go Large? Queen Sansa and Alice Karstark's Excellent Adventure?
They did have a show with sue perkins before episode 1. Although checking schedule they don't have one next week.

Jonathan Ross's wife was the showrunner for the cancelled "long night" series. He wasn't in the show last week.

It was the cast which seemed thin to me. Compare it to how many characters we meet in the first episode of GoT, and how much we learn about them.

I belive they are planning for 4 series for HOTD. In reality that may depend on ratings.

It was the cast which seemed thin to me. Compare it to how many characters we meet in the first episode of GoT, and how much we learn about them.

I think that is such a huge blessing for me - I really struggle with lots of character/groups introduced with any kind of haste and without over-explaining their respective context in the story (especially if any of them have the same hair or look alike!).

I think looking back that's what put me off GoT the first time round - it required fucktons of concentration to understand all the important families and relationships. :oops:

It was Ok. It had tits and it had dragons so it ticked those boxes.

My inner Marxist was saying "how come a society with the technology to make plate armour and steel edged weapons hadn't developed at all in the almost 200 years till GoT?' but funny enough it didn't mind the fucking dragons.

(Also during the gratuitous sex scene I worry it was just me wondering if they passed up the opportunity to finally settle the question of whether male Time Lords have two penises like they have two hearts. A missed opportunity I felt.)

My inner Marxist was saying "how come a society with the technology to make plate armour and steel edged weapons hadn't developed at all in the almost 200 years till GoT?' but funny enough it didn't mind the fucking dragons.

(Also during the gratuitous sex scene I worry it was just me wondering if they passed up the opportunity to finally settle the question of whether male Time Lords have two penises like they have two hearts. A missed opportunity I felt.)

I think in GoT universe things are going backwards rather then progressing or at least that's my understanding.

I think in GoT universe things are going backwards rather then progressing or at least that's my understanding.
A lot of high fantasy, even LOTR from one perspective, is set in an age thats lesser to the glory of the one that came before. Wheel of Time is explicit about it, they're living the fall after the age of legends ended with the breaking of the world.

After reading some favourable reviews here I'll give it a go. I was going to leave it because a) spin off and b) the last season of GoT. It'll keep me going till WoT series 2

Soooo, this is supposedly based on Martin's Fire and Blood. I ain't read any of it. Can't compare to the book but...

The first episode didn't feel like George R Martin had anything to do with it. Didn't have his feel. Felt a bit plot by committee.

The Targ secret at the end passed down the generations. We're meant to be all 'Ooh we know something you don't know'.
Why would you keep it quiet?
In fact it's in your interest to spread that tale.
Didn't add up.

Both of these analyses blame the hoarding of knowledge by the Maesters for the technological stagnation of Westeros:
Game of Thrones: why hasn't Westeros had an industrial revolution?

Back
Top Bottom