Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hot off the press DnB thread

Favourite experimental DNB-ish production of the past few years. Not exactly hot off the press. But very fucking good.

Orang Utan this will appeal to your techno/experimental sensibilities.

ETA:
He always pushes at the edges of the most upfront edges of the scene ~ I rate him for that. Nowadays if you got to a jump up night with Taxman, Majistrate and all that lot Grooverider is the best of them in that arena. After years of listening to him on the radio I just like his character and relate to where he's coming from.... I genuinely like that EP of his too ~ no nonsense dancefloor stuff, but with ideas in there too. Id rather Grooverider going in any day of the week over a noodley set of halftempo and minimal - hardcore will never die etc! He smashed Soul in Motion when I went too.

Saying he's the best in a sentence with Taxman and Majistrate isn't saying much ;) Sorry! That one was too easy! :)
For jump up some of that EP wasn't bad but then it just hits on that generic Jump Up sound that immediately turns me off and often ruins what could otherwise be a fun track.
Most recent time I saw him was at Rupture, a couple of years ago - supposed to be doing a mid-90s set but within 15 mins he was playing shonky jump up - annoying! Plus the mixing was half-arsed (when it was even mixed) and he kept hitting a sample button that said something like "Grooverider in the mix!" - sorry but I find that pretty damn irritating.

Some new artist 'fixate' has an EP forthcoming on Exit. Some upfront but very original sounding half-steppers that have been destroying dance floors for the last six months...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/608fb53c-17e6-45df-a189-869dafad86ec

edit - fuck half of the clips are playing completely the wrong tracks - ignore audio!

Yes! Been loving this EP! He's DJing at the Exit/Swamp81 night in Bristol I'm going to in a few weeks - am interested to hear what he draws for.

Here's an official vid for my fav track - cool video :)

Saying he's the best in a sentence with Taxman and Majistrate isn't saying much ;) Sorry! That one was too easy! :)
For jump up some of that EP wasn't bad but then it just hits on that generic Jump Up sound that immediately turns me off and often ruins what could otherwise be a fun track.
Most recent time I saw him was at Rupture, a couple of years ago - supposed to be doing a mid-90s set but within 15 mins he was playing shonky jump up - annoying! Plus the mixing was half-arsed (when it was even mixed) and he kept hitting a sample button that said something like "Grooverider in the mix!" - sorry but I find that pretty damn irritating.
...that Taxman/Majistrate sound is still the biggest club filling sound in DnB and Rider always wants to play whats going on at the most upfront end of the scene, but steer it in a good direction <i rate that about him.

i heard about that rupture set ~ i know hes really reluctant to play old tunes even when hes booked to do so - to him the scene isnt about old tunes its about always being on the edge of the new - the thing is hes still genuinely excited by new tunes (even if some of those new tunes are a bit shit!) ~ anyhow far as im concerned rider is a legend and is beyond the realm of criticism - as i say i heard him play a cracking set the other day at S>I>M so as far as im concerned hes still got it..still keeps the hardcore faith about everything he does in the scene...

i know im repeating myself here

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom