Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hot off the press DnB thread

for me the way i feel about (quality) modern dnb is a lot less about individual tracks - its become music thats all about the mix again - faceless techno bollocks - lots of tunes just doing their thing without bragging about big drops and big catchy samples* - a very welcome development - im enjoying not knowing who's making what tracks or what theyre called, just getting lost in pure sound....

it also means that a more sparse track (as above) can fit in really nicely with a set - dnb used to just have a couple of gears - now in a set you can go all over the place - build up and break back down again.

*i suppose there are still those tracks out there on that too....

so just discovered not only is there the brilliant fortnightly Soul in Motion wednesday night up in the westend, thats now joined by the weekly Tuesday night session - weekly Tuesday night session :D Evolution - also up in the west end - and serious line up every week - tomorrow is
Randall
Dj Stretch
Mantra
Nookie
Double 0
Threshold
https://www.facebook.com/EvolutionDB

midweek hangovers ahoy

Yeah, been to S.I.M. a few times - was at the Krust one too :) Was less impressed with Shy FX's greatest hits of Jungle set! Was fun but got a bit boring by the end :D

Wednesday I can just about handle but no Tuesday raving thanks!

Gonna check the stuff out in this thread, I must admit i haven't been keeping up with dnb for a year or two now, last mix i have is a fracture set from 13/14 :oops:

I'm just more hooked on the various permutations of experimental house/techno/bass/drone/ambient/whatever. Basically, all that leftfield music that really seems to have had a resurgence in the last few years. It's all good!

Also this is a fucking gnarly roller, heard Doc Scott open his set at Rupture with this in 13. ska invita you'll love this

ruude :thumbs: youve got my numnber on that one D - big tune for sure
thats doing that always on bassline thing i was trying to describe upthread....
I'm just more hooked on the various permutations of experimental house/techno/bass/drone/ambient/whatever. Basically, all that leftfield music that really seems to have had a resurgence in the last few years. It's all good!
obviously different musical genres arent mutually exclusive, and maybe its just my dna ,but i groove naturally to DnB tempos and rhytmns more than i do to house and techno - a lot of this kind of modern dnb is definitely moving in similiar territory to current techno permutations, but on a dancefloor i need no encouragement to move to DnB tempos and grooves whereas house and techno takes effort for me... like you said Its All Good.

that aside, ive uploaded a set thats been kllling me this last month - been checking a few Future Thinkin sets, and theyre always great, but this one is particularly special - highly recommended. Here's what i wrote for the mixcloud:
Used to listen to DM Cut on Weekend Rush back in 92, now in 2015 he's still going strong and the Future Thinkin show he fronts is my favourite thing on the airwaves. Pushing hard all these years, and still riding the edge of the best new music... touching on many flavours but always with the FT stamp...proper journey djing....

Always a great show but this set is particularly firing...as ever top mcing from Shylo too. Catch them on Kool every Monday night.... www.koollondon.com...big up all FT family
link:
https://www.mixcloud.com/Mikus_Radi...-thinkin-set-dm-cut-shylo-kool-fm-march-2015/

i love his djing - proper set building (though this one is a bit more direct and to the point)- and he doesnt use sync buttons so theres even some mix correction! love to hear that :D

i know i said at the mo i dont really care what tunes are called or who they're by but i wouldnt mind an ID on the track at 80mins - I think thats a fairly well known tune. the 'Dubplate' one after with the some serious bline presuure has got me curious too if anyone knows it...and the one after too :D ...argh, getting sucked in!! ...no it really doesnt matter :D

Last edited:
ruude :thumbs: youve got my numnber on that one D - big tune for sure
thats doing that always on bassline thing i was trying to describe upthread....

obviously different musical genres arent mutually exclusive, and maybe its just my dna ,but i groove naturally to DnB tempos and rhytmns more than i do to house and techno - a lot of this kind of modern dnb is definitely moving in similiar territory to current techno permutations, but on a dancefloor i need no encouragement to move to DnB tempos and grooves whereas house and techno takes effort for me... like you said Its All Good.

that aside, ive uploaded a set thats been kllling me this last month - been checking a few Future Thinkin sets, and theyre

always great, but this one is particularly special - highly recommended. Here's what i wrote for the mixcloud:

link:
https://www.mixcloud.com/Mikus_Radio_Tapes_Vault/killer-future-thinkin-set-dm-cut-shylo-kool-fm-march-2015
i love his djing - proper set building (though this one is a bit more direct and to the point)- and he doesnt use sync buttons

so theres even some mix correction! love to hear that :D

i know i said at the mo i dont really care what tunes are called or who they're by but i wouldnt mind an ID on the track at 80mins - I think thats a fairly well known tune. the 'Dubplate' one after with the some serious bline presuure has got me curious too if anyone knows it...and the one after too :D ...argh, getting sucked in!! ...no it really doesnt matter :D

I'm listening to this now...6:30am and loving the journey so far! Love you ska invita! :thumbs:

Well, I was listening to darkside, rave, and jungle before I seriously got into techno so it's not that I can't naturally groove to dnb tempos — sometimes i prefer that style of dancing. It's just that the type of modern dnb i like (dark, uncluttered and technoid) really could do without some fucking loud-mouthed mc. Let. Me. Hear. The. Tunes. And. Get. Lost. In. Them. Loud MCing works with ragga jungle/tearout/jump-up but otherwise I like someone understated like Conrad or Ribbzy. Especially at 3/4 AM when you're fucked and just wanna close your eyes and dance until 6 AM in the same spot, what's the point of MCs then?

Sometimes you feel like the MC wants you to believe you're seeing them instead of the DJ. Twats :mad:

Well, I was listening to darkside, rave, and jungle before I seriously got into techno so it's not that I can't naturally groove to dnb tempos — sometimes i prefer that style of dancing. It's just that the type of modern dnb i like (dark, uncluttered and technoid) really could do without some fucking loud-mouthed mc. Let. Me. Hear. The. Tunes. And. Get. Lost. In. Them. Loud MCing works with ragga jungle/tearout/jump-up but otherwise I like someone understated like Conrad or Ribbzy. Especially at 3/4 AM when you're fucked and just wanna close your eyes and dance until 6 AM in the same spot, what's the point of MCs then?

Sometimes you feel like the MC wants you to believe you're seeing them instead of the DJ. Twats :mad:
Shylo, the mc with Dm Cut is straight from the Conrad school - worth checking out
i prefer no MCs too a as a rule of thumb

More dark new drumfunk from the masters.

Seba and Paradox - Future now

Really liking this introspective approach to basslines.

And the A-side, production on this is top notch

Delusions

Fat bass on that Delusion tune :thumbs:

i really like this dark minimal but technical sound that's been coming through over the past few years, heard it out loads when I used to go to Rupture and/or see DBridge/Scott play, kind of reminds me of original neuro, before midrange wanksters took it over. I get that it's not fun and subtle but that's the joy in it. Kind of like the deeper end of techno, it's an acquired taste.

So long as theres still some good drum feel going on....certain tunes can get a bit ploddy

this has just been released into the wild
Mark System - Optix

nice roll out this one...(Claim to fame: Paul lives five doors down from me!)
Paul T & Edward Oberon - Tempt [V Recordings]

Last edited:
--Wednesday I can just about handle but no Tuesday raving thanks!
:D ha yeah - also SIM is free, i think evolution is £5? anyhow ive got a work related free drinks thing in the west end on a tuesday in april (14th)...this might be the one and only time it can be excusable...will report back if i make it...invite if anyone else fancies it

Last edited:
i might play some of my favourite dnb releases over the past few years on fishco tomorrow, mainly 2013/heard in 2013 but released in 2014 because i haven't been keeping up with the genre as much as i should. i think it's safe to say that my tastes diverge from ska invita 's somewhat.

i might play some of my favourite dnb releases over the past few years on fishco tomorrow, mainly 2013/heard in 2013 but released in 2014 because i haven't been keeping up with the genre as much as i should. i think it's safe to say that my tastes diverge from ska invita 's somewhat.

look forward to it Dail...

Back
Top Bottom