Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hong Kong: China's Last Words?

Jessiedog - seriously, don't waste any time whatsoever on this poster. They are a 100% genuine troll who knows nothing about HK or China generally, and who has nothing to say at all. All they have done in the past on urban75 is talk utter bollocks making up fantasies about where they have been and where they live now (this person was claiming they were posting from Thailand one day and then next they were posting from Glasgow, then the next day they were back in Thailand again). All they have ever done is stick up for corrupt dictators on the basis that "they have a difficult job". That is the sukm total of their arguments, but they then pad out their posts with loads of hit air, and then quickly slip into reams of personal abuse and calling people stupid and ignorant. This is a trolling, lying, spamming twat - probably a teenager posting from a school library with a copy of Lonely Planet next to them where they fish around for a few random details to make it look like they have actually been to the places they are talking about. Don't bother trying to debate with them. They will not answer any of your questions but they will start posting lots of abuse and winding you up.

TJ

This is a trolling, lying, spamming twat - probably a teenager posting from a school library with a copy of Lonely Planet next to them where they fish around for a few random details to make it look like they have actually been to the places they are talking about. Don't bother trying to debate with them. They will not answer any of your questions but they will start posting lots of abuse and winding you up.

Have we met? You are such a good judge of character!! It's you ignorance that will cause you problems in life my freind.

Now why dont you go for a long walk somewhere and listen to the birds sing and the water flow, there hopefully you will find some peace. I can't be arsed contributing to this thread any more. I have pointed some people in the direction of sources that provide a clearer picture on the issues at large in relation to H/K-China.

In any debate if you have any sense you make yourself familiar with the arguments against your position just as well as the ones for. By doing this you can never be castigated for not being fully informed. The problem with this thread on H/K-China-Democracy is that the majority of the posters have made themselves familiar with what I would call the 'simple debate'. Should Hong Kong be democratized? Here you will find a resounding YES by most of the posters!!

What I'm quite pleased about is that I have taken the time to explore the reasons why no might be the answer at this point in time. I have looked at the general history of H/K-China relations, the political, economic and social situation within both countries historically and present day, similiar demands elsewhere in the world, and internal/external pressures for change. Now I do not have the time or desire to convince people who already appear to have made their minds up on their own position of the merits of this type of study to have a more balanced understanding of the situation, and to be honest for the likes of you TJ I just wouldn't be arsed.

Lets just say when I see that someone has made the effort to make themselves familiar with both sides of the debate my respect would be extended and my thoughts and ideas shared..

Poor trolling. You have nothing to say and that is very apparent. Just fuck off now, there's a good kiddie. :rolleyes:

hey TJ hopefully one day our paths will meet and i'm sure that F*** O* will mean something to me then..

take care

Great, I live in Streathamhill at the moment. They take place just down the road from me. I would like that. It would be nice to say hi

Have done in the past, both places. Travelled and stayed all around South East Asia (13 months), Australia (3/4months) etc.. Now living in Streatham for a while. Been to PROD at the Windmill I think its called. Oh and if I get the chance will definatley come to offline at the Ritzy just to see you!!

C'mon guys!

Life's tough enough without this.

Start a new thread or take it elsewhere.

"China" threads have historically been free of this shit.

Let's keep it that way.

Please?

:)

Woof

Jessie

C'mon guys!

Life's tough enough without this.

Start a new thread or take it elsewhere.

"China" threads have historically been free of this shit.

Let's keep it that way.

Please?

I could not agree more. If you have any more mud to sling my way TJ do it via PM if not then I'm sure we will meet one day soon.....

Sorry Jessie

Why don't you fuck off with your tedious threats, Thomas77? It's a joke the way you start threatening people as soon as they disagree with your strongly-held, ill-informed, and completely fucking stupid ideas about politics in East Asia.

BTW,on the thread topic: ...do they censor the internet/internet use in Hong Kong now? ..i hear that they do in mainland China,but are the citizens of HK better off,or is the situation just as bad there? :(

maya said:
BTW,on the thread topic: ...do they censor the internet/internet use in Hong Kong now? ..i hear that they do in mainland China,but are the citizens of HK better off,or is the situation just as bad there? :(

maya,

We have total freedom of the internet, speech, association, assembly, etc. in HK.

This is what the 700,000 peeps were doing on the streets on 1st of July last year (2003) - protesting against the introduction of "Article 23"; the proposed anti-subversion legislation (subversion of the Chinese Communist Party in Beijing that is), which would have watered down many of the freedoms we are (supposedly) guaranteed under the Basic Law.

The proposed article was subsequently withdrawn and shelved (at least temporarily - there is no doubt that it will be reintroduced in due course).

In the meantime, at least we can still access any and every part of the internet - even if they are watching us! (To whit - fuck you ya bastards; better update yer file on ME, 'cos I've still got a big mouth and will denounce you at every turn, you commie twats! :D ).

Blessings to all who value freedom and democracy.

(Edit: Actually, to be accurate, freedom of assembly has been somewhat restricted since the handover. We now have to apply for a permit for assembleys of over 40 peeps, or marches of over 30. We never had to before the handover.)

Woof

Jessiedog said:
We have total freedom of the internet, speech, association, assembly, etc. in HK.
Although two radio presenters recently left their shows after what they took to be threats against their families from officials? Hasn't one of these guys been attacked by knifemen before?

Yossorain

Why don't you fuck off with your tedious threats, Thomas77? It's a joke the way you start threatening people as soon as they disagree with your strongly-held, ill-informed, and completely fucking stupid ideas about politics in East Asia.

Brilliant, just PM me your attitude in future! I can't be arsed getting another ban. Theres a few people on these boards that I respect and learn a bit from, the sum of you is neither..

TeeJay said:
Although two radio presenters recently left their shows after what they took to be threats against their families from officials? Hasn't one of these guys been attacked by knifemen before?

Yes indeed TJ - Albert Cheng was badly chopped by triads a few years back; he was using his radio show to bad mouth triads on a daily basis.

Three radio presenters, including Cheng have left the airwaves recently due to perceived threats from pro-Beijing forces both in HK and from the mainland. It was all part of a "cultural revolution style" campaign launched in February this year with mainland officials denouncing individual (democratically elected) legislators as "traitors" and "clowns", etc. Over the last couple of weeks, the campaign has been toned down since Beijing now sees it as counter productive with the legislative elections coming up in September.

Unfortunately, the most pervasive (and ugly ) form of censorship in HK these days is "self-censorship". A multitude of various media, including TV, magazines and newspapers stifle any adverse comment of Beijing for (the VERY real and justified) fear of losing advertising revenue.

The vast majority of large businsesses (both HK and mainland companies,) are very pro-Beijing - it's good for business!! Indeed, the Apple Daily (a pro-democracy daily newspaper owned by Jimmy Lai) has lost multiple tens of millions of advertising dollars for its anti-communist stance.

Sad, very sad!

:(

Woof

Concrete Meadow said:
Sadder still is the passage of the so-called education reform bill by the legislative council (29-21) this past week.

http://www.asianews.it/view.php?l=en&art=838

:(

Jessie, shall we discuss the lies of "one nation two systems?"

The education reform bill is a really tough one Meadow. There is no doubt that parents need greater representation in school matters. Unfortunately, over the long term it does seem that the reforms, as are, will sideline those religious (typically/mainly Christian) organisations who run so many of HK's schools and concentrate power in th hands of the administration.

Some here on Urban may say that this is no bad thing, and yet these schools are among the most sought after by parents due to the far better than average education they deliver.

I'd love to discuss the lies of "one country, two systems" with you Meadow. Indeed, I would value seeing more of your own thoughts/ideas here, as well as the (albeit informative) links you post.

;)

Blessings.

Woof

First typhoon of the year is heading our way.

The number 8 signal is up and typhoon Kompasu is about 60km south west of HK and heading north east :eek: . Winds are already up to 63 kph and the rain is battering down.

Looks like it's gonna be REALLY close, heading towards us at 20kph. Three hours time (3:00pm) and we'll know if were gonna get a direct hit.

Batton down the hatches, tie up the dogs and hang onto your wigs peeps.

Woof

Or as I've just seen in wan chai, everyone go to the pub.

I forgot to bring in the pot plants off the roof this morning. Damn, hope its not going to last.

chinchilla said:
Or as I've just seen in wan chai, everyone go to the pub.

I forgot to bring in the pot plants off the roof this morning. Damn, hope its not going to last.

Hey chin!

Were over in Sheung Wan. Fancy coming over later? We're having seafood (prawns, crabs, etc). There's plenty to go around.

Give me a call.

Woof

Cheers Jess, sounds good, i am supposed to be meeting some guys in town for dinner but they might not want to come over to the island in this. I should be done here at work by 4-5. I'll give you a bell

Hey - I've been in HK for a month working - it's a great city but I can't decide if I love it or hate it yet! Veering towards loving it tho.

There is a funny feeling in the air though - as if it's the calm before the storm (wrong metaphor I know given the typhoon heading this way) - only outward signs of repression I have seen are that the big raves have been shut down and people have to do there parties in small clubs these days...

mjelly said:
Hey - I've been in HK for a month working - it's a great city but I can't decide if I love it or hate it yet! Veering towards loving it tho.

There is a funny feeling in the air though - as if it's the calm before the storm (wrong metaphor I know given the typhoon heading this way) - only outward signs of repression I have seen are that the big raves have been shut down and people have to do there parties in small clubs these days...

Welcome to the game mjelly!

Woof

Jessiedog said:
Welcome to the game mjelly!

Woof

Were you living here in the mid nineties before the handover/ Sars/ economic downturn etc? People say it was really kicking back then and very hedonistic? Is this true or just typical nostalgia?

I was in Hong Kong for a few years either side of the handover - people aren't exaggerating when they say it was kicking! I haven't been back in a couple of years but last time I was there it seemed a lot calmer.

Shame to hear the big raves have been shut down, I can remember some mad ones...do they still have parties out at Kai Tak?

mjelly said:
Were you living here in the mid nineties before the handover/ Sars/ economic downturn etc? People say it was really kicking back then and very hedonistic? Is this true or just typical nostalgia?

Indeed I was and indeed it was!

In the run-up to the handover, things just kept getting faster and faster. 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996 were just mental. There was a real feeling that "time was running out", as it were and everyone was rushing to get as much dosh as possible before the party ended.

The economy was absolutely ROARING and the Hang Seng was up at a stratospheric 18,000. People were selling their place in the queue to buy a flat for over a half million dollars (yup, just the place in the queue) and then the buyer would on-sell it the next day for even more, and so on and so on.

The parties were outrageous, both the raves (4,000 youngsters, all off their faces on ecstacy, dancing madly in huge venues - Oh and an old bitch like me doing the same, of course :D ) and also the "socialite" side of things (I used to do a bit of party entertainment organising back then), top hotels, dripping with glamour.

Ahhhhhhh! Dem were de days!

Woof

Yossarian said:
Happy days...:D

Have things really slowed down that much?

S'not the same yoss. Couldn't possibly be. T'was a unique moment in history.

Further, with the financial crisis after the handover (I'm talking property prices down by over 70% from the market peak, deflation EVERY month for five fuckin' years, etc), then SARS and the shitty new administration, we really have taken a battering.

That said, it's still a great place and things are beggining to pick up again, mild inflation returning, property off then bottom.

You'd still love it!

Woof

Back
Top Bottom