Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

homeless people and space blankets.

Lots of good ideas on this thread, in the end I made up four packs of the following which i managed to pick up all at good prices.
  • Thermal top
  • Few bits of fruit
  • Few cereal bars
  • Boost bar
  • Can of deodorant
  • Toothbrush (forgot toothpaste)
  • Pack of socks
  • Playing cards
  • Sandwich
  • Notepad and pen
  • Shortbread fingers
  • Tictacs
  • Cracker and party poppers
  • Couple blank xmas cards
  • Card with a fiver in it.
They certainly seem to have gone down well by the guys I gave them to and I got the warm glow I was after.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 55
Lots of good ideas on this thread, in the end I made up four packs of the following which i managed to pick up all at good prices.
  • Thermal top
  • Few bits of fruit
  • Few cereal bars
  • Boost bar
  • Can of deodorant
  • Pack of socks
  • Playing cards
  • Sandwich
  • Notepad and pen
  • Shortbread fingers
  • Tictacs
They certainly seem to have gone down well by the guys I gave them to and I got the warm glow I was after.
Nice one. God bless you. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas. :cool:

• Thermal top
  • Few bits of fruit
  • Few cereal bars
  • Boost bar
  • Can of deodorant
  • Pack of socks
  • Playing cards
  • Sandwich
  • Notepad and pen
  • Shortbread fingers
  • Tictacs
That's absolutely top stuff :cool:

Merry bloody Christmas to you and yours :)

Lots of good ideas on this thread, in the end I made up four packs <snip> certainly seem to have gone down well by the guys I gave them to and I got the warm glow I was after.
Nice work! BTW I like the way you included frivolous stuff as well as the more practical things. :)

Lots of good ideas on this thread, in the end I made up four packs of the following which i managed to pick up all at good prices. ... They certainly seem to have gone down well by the guys I gave them to and I got the warm glow I was after.

*Like* again. :) Nice one for doing this, and also thanks for starting this thread because it reminded me that I was meant to be taking a load of firewood and stuff to some people who are squatting

*Like* again. :) Nice one for doing this, and also thanks for starting this thread because it reminded me that I was meant to be taking a load of firewood and stuff to some people who are squatting
Yeah. I think actually now is probably the time it's least needed although its most obvious, cold miserable January or feburay once the Christmas cheer has subscided would probably be even more appreciated.

• Thermal top
  • Few bits of fruit
  • Few cereal bars
  • Boost bar
  • Can of deodorant
  • Pack of socks
  • Playing cards
  • Sandwich
  • Notepad and pen
  • Shortbread fingers
  • Tictacs

Truly wonderful thing to do :)

Bob_the_lost said:
Silverfish was referring to the army issue sleeping bag and bivvy bag. The bivvy bag is Gortex and keeps you dry, the bag is a 4/5 season and keeps you warm. You do need a roll mat to stop you losing heat to the ground (Which as salem says is pretty significant) but with all three you can stay warm and dry in some very nasty conditions.

On the other hand that assumes you've got somewhere to stash your sleeping kit that no one will find, that it's dry and clean and that you can find a patch where it's safe to sleep.

Tbh I spent a toasty warm night sleeping rough in Nottingham once when I was too wasted to walk home.

Just nicked some cardboard and some if that giant cling film out of a skip and sneaked into a yard behind some shops and up a gantry.

There's actually a group/event on FB trying to make up and distribute stuff like this to rough sleepers. Their suggestion for keeping it all under a tenner was to hit up charity shops (especially shelter and the like).

They're normally more than happy to give out warm clothes and bedding at a much reduced rate once you explain what you're planning to do with it.

Iirc it's called the Rucksack Project.

So yeah, the reason I was looking at this thread was because I was reminded of the Rucksack Project recently. Been thinking about looking into various ways to source cheap/free equipment (thinking climbers and Scouts for rucksacks and sleeping bags) with a mind to collecting stuff over the year in time for next winter.
That's very cool, will definitely check it out and see if there's a way I could get involved.

Had been wanting to do something in the next couple of months as I figure they're the harshest months of the year and possibly get forgotten after the Christmas goodwill.
One of my many "meant to"s :facepalm: Must do better this year :mad:

Back
Top Bottom