Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jeff Bezos's space ambitions and the New Shepard spacecraft - news and discussion

218240313_10159685267343969_6952843338658362286_n.jpg

Ten minutes? He was up there for ten whole minutes and change? FFS, what a pointless waste of money and CO2. Someone legislate to ban space tourism before it becomes an everyday thing.

I suspect it’s just due to the camera’s distance from the rocket at the launch pad, but I have watched plenty of launches of various types of rockets over the years, and the initial launch acceleration of Bezos’s space penis seemed noticeably faster than anything else I’ve seen.

Out of curiosity, is there any data comparing the performance of the modern manned rockets by NASA, SpaceX, and this one?

Whereas the experience of what Bezo’s rocket has just done, or what Virgin Galactic’s ship will eventually do would undoubtedly be exhilarating, if I could afford that kind of gig I would probably still wait 5-10 more years for a better experience.

Sadly I don’t think Moon tourism (regardless of price) will be a reality for two or three decades, so unless I’m a really fit octogenarian and OAPs are welcome, I doubt I will experience it even if I could afford it.

But I still believe within 10-15 years there might be better tourist experiences available than these 8-10 minute just-about-edge-of-space gigs.As it is now, I reckon you’d have far more microgravity fun on one of those vomit comet planes for about 20% of the cost, even if not quite the same view.

An hour or so at 150 km altitude I would happily sell a kidney for. I’d like to think the likes of SpaceX are not far from building such a craft.

I just think this is a fantastic way to spend the hard earned labour of all his employees. However, if I had $500 trillion like Mr Benzos, I'd head right off to Alpha Centauri to meet my fellow aliens.

Back
Top Bottom