Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

homeless people and space blankets.

Not much. They only keep in radiated heat, which is very high if you've just run a marathon but is much less useful if you're trying to keep warm whilst you sleep.

Better than a kick in the teeth but nothing like as good as an army issue arctic sleeping bag (about £30 on ebay).

Not much. They only keep in radiated heat, which is very high if you've just run a marathon but is much less useful if you're trying to keep warm whilst you sleep.

Better than a kick in the teeth but nothing like as good as an army issue arctic sleeping bag (about £30 on ebay).

Yep issue bags are super warm and tough.

Add a bivvy bag and you've got about the best protection you can get

Bit of a random thought but seeing a few people out with sleeping bags and was curious ifthose silver emergency space blankets would be any help?
Would certainly help if you're lying on stone or concrete to stop any heat getting absorbed away

Well basically I was thinking of doing a few boxes of stuff for some of the local homeless guys I see about. Like a tenner each on some nice stuff from the 99p store. A few treats and that. Don't want it to be all functional but saw these in the poundshop.

Any other suggestions for cheap and cheerful stuff.

Btw I know that I'd probably be better off donating to shelter or something but I want to do something a bit more personal.

Not night after night though. :(

A bivvy bag and a half decent sleeping bag would be way better.
Silverfish was referring to the army issue sleeping bag and bivvy bag. The bivvy bag is Gortex and keeps you dry, the bag is a 4/5 season and keeps you warm. You do need a roll mat to stop you losing heat to the ground (Which as salem says is pretty significant) but with all three you can stay warm and dry in some very nasty conditions.

On the other hand that assumes you've got somewhere to stash your sleeping kit that no one will find, that it's dry and clean and that you can find a patch where it's safe to sleep.

No it wouldn't. It's not thick enough to provide any insulation. You'd do better with a sheet of cardboard.

If that's all you were stuck with, a couple of sheets of cardboard underneath the space blankets would make a huge difference. I did a field test early this year, where I used the kit that lives at the bottom of my rucksack. Basically it's an orange plastic survival bag and a space blanket thing in a bag shape. Certainly enough to make a huge difference and preserve life, but not a nice sleeping experaince. Having some kind of ground insulation makes a huge difference.

Bit of a random thought but seeing a few people out with sleeping bags and was curious if those silver emergency space blankets would be any help?

A sleeping bag of any kind would be far better.

Last edited:
If that's all you were stuck with, a couple of sheets of cardboard underneath the space blankets would make a huge difference. I did a field test early this year, where I used the kit that lives at the bottom of my rucksack. Basically it's orange plastic survival bag and a space blanket thing in a bag shape. Certainly enough to make a huge difference and preserve life, but not a nice sleeping experaince. Having some kind of ground insulation makes a huge difference.
Yeah, you're probably right after doing a bit more reading on the topic.

Silverfish was referring to the army issue sleeping bag and bivvy bag. The bivvy bag is Gortex and keeps you dry, the bag is a 4/5 season and keeps you warm. You do need a roll mat to stop you losing heat to the ground (Which as salem says is pretty significant) but with all three you can stay warm and dry in some very nasty conditions.

On the other hand that assumes you've got somewhere to stash your sleeping kit that no one will find, that it's dry and clean and that you can find a patch where it's safe to sleep.

My bad. :oops:

No it wouldn't. It's not thick enough to provide any insulation. You'd do better with a sheet of cardboard.
It would reflect back heat that would be absorbed by the cold ground, surely? I was imagining it being used in conjunction with cardboard tbh, surely it would help?

When I was doing offshore sea survival training, they have these noddy suit things that are basically a space blanket onesie -to be used to treat hypothermia. I put one on and was boiling within seconds, although I wasn't hypothermic obvs :)

The space blankets are generally awesome in any cold situation, although ideally in conjunction with other stuff, as GS said.

It would reflect back heat that would be absorbed by the cold ground, surely? I was imagining it being used in conjunction with cardboard tbh, surely it would help?
With cardboard or a roll mat it would make a difference but it's to help with a different form of heat transfer.

The space blanket is great for radiated heat but very little use for conduction.

Think of it as holding your hand in front of a light bulb, it might get a little warm from the radiated energy (light). Then touch the light bulb, it'll probably burn you as the heat is transferred directly though conduction. Radiated heat is generally a lot less than direct conduction, that's not to say it's negligible but it's not enough on its own.

When I was doing offshore sea survival training, they have these noddy suit things that are basically a space blanket onesie -to be used to treat hypothermia. I put one on and was boiling within seconds, although I wasn't hypothermic obvs :)

The space blankets are generally awesome in any cold situation, although ideally in conjunction with other stuff, as GS said.

But also have massive limits, which I think they're not a great solution for rough sleepers. I'm sure though if you had nothing though and someone handed one to you, it would be nice, but I do think something that you can spend more then a few nights in would be better.

This thread has just prompted me to have a sleeping bag clear out and donate some to a local shelter.

Last edited:
Well basically I was thinking of doing a few boxes of stuff for some of the local homeless guys I see about. Like a tenner each on some nice stuff from the 99p store. A few treats and that. Don't want it to be all functional but saw these in the poundshop.

Btw I know that I'd probably be better off donating to shelter or something but I want to do something a bit more personal.
That's a nice idea. You oculd maybe ask them if there is anything in particular that they need but socks and gloves are always welcome. Maybe a hat too.

But also have massive limits, which I think they're not a great solution for rough sleepers. I'm sure if you had nothing and someone handed one to you, it would be better then nothing. This thread has just prompted me to have a sleeping bag clear out and donate some to a local shelter.
Yeah that's what I mean - not a solution, but a useful addition to whatever you've already got. As bob said, they don't insulate as such, but they certainly won't make you any colder, any extra heat retained is a good thing!

Good on you for donating sleeping bags :) fwiw I was on the streets for a while ages ago, some nice people gave me a decent sleeping bag - made a huge difference. Being cold, really cold, and unable to get any warmer is absolutely awful :(

maybee call a local shelter and ask if they do similar care packages and put something together on their advice?

wash kit, sweets, notepad and pen,

hats/scarves, either something quick drying or wool stuff that are still warm when wet.

or buy some waterproof kit bags.

I'd just go with survival bags myself. Keeping dry and keeping the wind out are likely to be the hardest to achieve without one, though maybe the flouro colours wouldn't be great as I imagine homeless folk won't be wanting to draw attention to their sleeping positions.

What about some M&S LongJohns? when the snow comes they really make a difference.

eta: no perhaps scrap that, you would need to know what size the person was.

I wasn't sure if toothpaste etc would be patronising or something they have access to. Was also thinking a little whiskey or something, good or bad idea?? And a fiver.

What about some M&S LongJohns? when the snow comes they really make a difference.

eta: no perhaps scrap that, you would need to know what size the person was.
Darn it.. can't find my longjohn trousers .... I could have used them next week !!!

When I was on the streets we always used to get space blankets given to us and we'd just throw them away. They don't keep you warm and they don't last long (that's if they don't just blow away). Sleeping bags are much better.

Other stuff that'd really be appreciated is underwear (pretty cheap in Primark etc.), hats/gloves/scarves, thermals, any clothes really, decent sized rucksacks, toiletries (little travel sized ones would be good as you can have a few different thing without taking up loads of room), wet wipes, food (small things that won't go off quickly). The best thing that I ever got was a blanket and a coat for my dog - maybe worth thinking about if a lot of your local homeless have dogs?

I wasn't sure if toothpaste etc would be patronising or something they have access to. Was also thinking a little whiskey or something, good or bad idea?? And a fiver.

Nah, most people'd appreciate something like that. Buying toothpaste can come pretty low on your list of priorities when you're living like that but it's nice to have. I wouldn't get whisky but a fiver would be good, and tobacco is good for smokers.

What about including a £5 voucher for one of the supermarkets? That way, people can buy whatever drink they want, or something else if alcohol's not their thing.

That's really thoughtful of you - socks are usually very much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom