Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

From what I've seen this weekend there's noticeably more traffic now queuing on Water Lane and down Effra Road - obviously this going to be the case! So come September I can look forward (maybe) to walking my kids to school past more idling traffic, but as long as the Poet's Corner residents get some clean air then stuff anyone else.
Which school would you be walking them to?

Disgusting but not surprising.

My sister lived on Atlantic road / Vining St a the time of the original "uprising". I remember her saying that the place was a tinder box because (in part or in main) of police attitude. She said she would not wait at a bus stop on Acre lane as she said that to do so was an invitation to be stopped under Suss law

Look like things have come full circle, or never changed.

I happen to be caucasian and have not had a single uninvited interaction with the police in 30 years of living here. Not statistically significant in itself but....

Disgusting but not surprising.

My sister lived on Atlantic road / Vining St a the time of the original "uprising". I remember her saying that the place was a tinder box because (in part or in main) of police attitude. She said she would not wait at a bus stop on Acre lane as she said that to do so was an invitation to be stopped under Suss law

Look like things have come full circle, or never changed.

I happen to be caucasian and have not had a single uninvited interaction with the police in 30 years of living here. Not statistically significant in itself but....

I was living in Brixton in the months running up to the 81 riot.

Im white but was stopped and searched when Operation Swamp was started. Cops everywhere stopping "undesirables".

It needs to be remembered Thatcher divided the country. If you lived in Brixton you were obviously not an upstanding member of society. The enemy within.

The Police sided with Thatcher in the 80s.

Reactions: CH1
I was living in Brixton in the months running up to the 81 riot.

Im white but was stopped and searched when Operation Swamp was started. Cops everywhere stopping "undesirables".

It needs to be remembered Thatcher divided the country. If you lived in Brixton you were obviously not an upstanding member of society. The enemy within.

The Police sided with Thatcher in the 80s.
I was in a group of young white people searched outside the Coach and Horses in Coldharbour Lane after closing time during the Swamp operation.
The one who had a hardest time was the vulnerable looking one.
That operation was about who rules the streets in my opinion. And bullying, which seems a character trait police officers apparently admire.

When BLM here supported defunding the police. Spending the money are more useful things like youth centre Starmer came out all bullish about how he supported the police and BLM was a just a "moment."

Looking at the video and its good example why the police need to be defunded.

Bunch of muppets with nothing else better to do than harass someone walking their dog.

Herne Hill was rammed this evening - lots of people out drinking by the station. Looked sort of ok but on the other hand, not that much social distancing

5199e4acdecf4cd8630751cc463af3a3.jpeg

Reports on Nextdoor of a shooting (4 shots ?, a death ?) on Brailsford Road this morning. Anybody know anything ?

Have we done this yet:

There’s a longer twitter thread that shows them being released and then stopped again in the park.

Bullying Lumberjack bloke is a regular feature round here...

This incident is covered in this Vice article as well.

Police say increase in Stop and Search is due to less police needed for emergency calls etc during Pandemic So more police on streets needing something to do.

The police also have more powers during pandemic. Which they are happy to use.

This affects Black people more.

Police say they aren't targeting Black people. Its just that with opportunity to have more officers on the ground they are targeting drugs and violence.

Makes me want to support defunding the police.

Last edited:
I forced myself to give this a break for a few days - but now it's time for a new theory....

It might be Alleyn Park in West Dulwich - down the bottom end where it meets the Paxton Green junction. It's not Herne Hill, but bear with me.

The road was laid out at the right time. (1850s - I checked my suspicions on the house being no later than 1870 by using the dating tool on www.bricksandbrass.co.uk) More about the building of the properties along the road here: South Croxted Road and Alleyn Park

Nearly all of the original houses are gone but most were still standing in 1944.

We can't be sure what they all looked like, but Pissarro painted a view of some of them across the fields in 1871. They begin to look quite promising.

Then there are the specifics of the design - which is very particular. Three stories - with twinned round-headed windows over 4-pane sashes over a hexagonal bay in the gabled wing. I've been using my daily government-sanctioned run to do a bit of exploring and nearly every house of this age and type just has one central window in the second floor gable end.

Now it gets interesting. No 38 is still there - built into Dulwich Prep School. Some of the details are a little different but the form and proportions are right. Don't be fooled by the left hand wing - it's a modern extension, as can be seen on Google Maps.

What's even more interesting is that the back of the house shows the same arrangement of windows and bay. So we could be standing behind these houses after all.

Now take a look at Numbers 3 and 4 Alleyn Park on the 1944 map. They have the same plan as No. 38. They're far enough apart. They're a mirror pair. They have long back gardens.

I'm not saying these are the houses for sure, but are we getting warmer?View attachment 212704View attachment 212706View attachment 212707
Apologies for dragging you back to the great Herne Hill war photo mystery, but I had a sort out of old books at the weekend and came across this old book about Dulwich which answers the question. Given the little you had to go on, I'd say your sleuthing was incredibly impressive!

I've added some photos of the relevant pages, apologies for the quality of them!

Attachments

• IMG_20200708_183048.jpg
    IMG_20200708_183048.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20200708_183230.jpg
    IMG_20200708_183230.jpg
    699.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20200708_181237.jpg
    IMG_20200708_181237.jpg
    562 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20200708_183118.jpg
    IMG_20200708_183118.jpg
    587.1 KB · Views: 12
Apologies for dragging you back to the great Herne Hill war photo mystery, but I had a sort out of old books at the weekend and came across this old book about Dulwich which answers the question. Given the little you had to go on, I'd say your sleuthing was incredibly impressive!

I've added some photos of the relevant pages, apologies for the quality of them!
Excellent! What an interesting read. Thanks so much for sharing these.

Can you explain what defunding the UK police means to you ?

Posted up this on politics boards. On the book the End of Policing

Written before these protests its now topical.

He is saying that policing is recent invention. It was brought in to police the new working class who flocked to towns in early days of industrial revolution, In USA also to police the black slave who worked in towns in the south and to help subjugate colonised people. Both US and UK brought it in.

So from its inception policing was about social control of Black people, people in colonies and the new working class.

This developed over the years but this is it reason for being.

He knows more about the US than here.

In US he argues that policing is where the Neo Liberals and social conservatives found common ground. The Neo Liberals didnt want to blame social ill on the market , the social conservatives believed that individuals were responsible for crime/ anti social behaviour.

This came together in the "Broken Windows" policing ( was imported here). Instead of inequality causing more crime its was low level anti social behaviour that if ignored led to more serious crime. So standing on its head idea that reforms like redistribution of wealth would cut crime ( as people would not need to steal to survive) to individualising it to working class /poor communities need to be controlled more.

He says the claims for success of this strategy dont hold up.

He is critical of liberal reforms of policing. The if only police get better training , get more Black officers and have community meetings.

He says a lot of this was done under Obama and in local States/Cities. It does not work. Having more Black officers makes no difference. They are part of a repressive organisation whose reason for being is social control.

His view iis that the Liberal reformist view of policing does not want to acknowledge the origins and history of this recent invention. Which is social control of the working class and Black people.

So what he says is "defund" the Police. As is being said in Seattle- cut the police budget by half, turn the police station into community centre and invest the money from police budget into the poor communites.

So in summary:

Policing is about social control and repression. That is what it was set up to do

Liberal Reforms make no difference.

The police/ prison budget should be cut and the money put into poor communites.

Beyond that the social ills that cause crime woud start to be dealt with real redistribution of wealth, decent secure housing for all and decent secure work for all.

Plus decriminalising drugs.

Interview with the author.

Im half way through the book. One further thing is that policing / prisons and the justice system are very expensive. If social problems could be dealt with before entering the policing system then money would be saved.

Can you explain what defunding the UK police means to you ?

The End of Policing book is mainly about the USA.

This Guardian article about UK summarises some of the issues.

Another thing about Vitale the American who wrote End of Policing. He also at times talks about the police/ Courts/ prisons together.

Prisons have grown in US as more hardline policies mean more people in jail.

This costs a fortune. End up with what Vitale calls revolving door justice. People go in and out of jail whilst social problems - lack of affodable housing, jobs etc go unaddressed. If they were then people would be less inclined to turn to low level crime.

This country has gone down the same road. Highest prison population in Europe.

So "Defunding the Police" also covers how the judicial system and prison system operate.

The issues here are similar to some US ones. Lack of youth services which have been cut is a big issue. I see it in LJ. Adventure playground was under threat. Now open on a shoe string with charity grants. The Youth Centre next door hasnt operated as a fully open youth centre for long time. Due to lack of funding.

Vitale in his book points out lot of police work is unnecessary.

This massive increase in stop and search in London. Is it really necessary. I dont think so.

Bottom line is money spent on affordable housing, youth services, non police social services for people with problems would mean police budgets and intrusion on peoples everyday lives could be dramaticallly reduced.

Last edited:
The physical distancing barrier seem to be creeping closer and closer towards the curb every day.

I’m sure that access ramps had more space last week. Anyone know the people to contact to get it moved back out and to make it accessible again?

Attachments

• F1F61C9D-C101-4336-9C69-A81D6464D862.jpeg
    F1F61C9D-C101-4336-9C69-A81D6464D862.jpeg
    544.4 KB · Views: 5
  • C1B58323-E0A3-4D99-8B7F-7DD5D8C4630C.jpeg
    C1B58323-E0A3-4D99-8B7F-7DD5D8C4630C.jpeg
    631.8 KB · Views: 5

Brockwell Hall Restoration.

Brockwell Hall Restoration.
The consultation site is currently borked.

1594735534299.png

And, err, what?
Consultation
Our consultation on the current plans will necessarily be an online at present.
And the 'if possible' bit worries me:
To retain cafe use, if possible, within the main house and service wing

Great vibe in the area outside HH station tonight. Felt as good as pre-lockdown times :)

Admittedly the good weather was crucial as there’s very limited space inside the venues, but on a warm evening like this it was just great. People sitting about on the pavement or on picnic chairs they’d brought from home, others standing on the road, a lively yet relax and civilised atmosphere... Just what the doctor ordered.

Great vibe in the area outside HH station tonight. Felt as good as pre-lockdown times :)

Admittedly the good weather was crucial as there’s very limited space inside the venues, but on a warm evening like this it was just great. People sitting about on the pavement or on picnic chairs they’d brought from home, others standing on the road, a lively yet relax and civilised atmosphere... Just what the doctor ordered.

All thanks to those fascists banning through traffic a few years back :thumbs:

All thanks to those fascists banning through traffic a few years back :thumbs:
Not sure if that was a general observation or directed at me. If the latter I can assure you I couldn’t agree more with the redesign of that stretch of road that resulted in an end w through motor traffic.

I would in fact take it further and restrict any access to a morning slot for van deliveries, and no parking at all allowed other than a 10-minute set down time for those picking up arrivals from the station.

Last edited:
On the subject of the much improved conditions for pedestrians in that area, this is by no means a whataboutsim post but there might also be an argument for making cyclists dismount and walk their bike at the point where the asphalt ends and the pavement begins if not earlier. It’s bad enough on quiet daytime periods, and even worse during busy pedestrian presence as far too many passing cyclists seem to choose to not to slow down anymore than they can get away with, or simply treat standing peds as a bit of ski slalom-style fun challenge. Completely unenforceable in practice of course.

Back
Top Bottom