Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

He has left. He has moved to above the Herne Tavern in east Dulwich, a pub he also runs. The upstairs of the Moon will be turned into flats and the pub will stay as a pub. Though I suspect that it will kill the live music off.

That is a real shame, that was my nans local, and was still the last place in herne hill which was a normal pub.
I have to say i used to drink in the brockwell Tav and it didnt have NF in there at all, just locals, i used to enjoy the Hamilton too, didnt often go in the commercial as it was mostly our dads in there, so this NF rumour is not anything i know of.

That is a real shame, that was my nans local, and was still the last place in herne hill which was a normal pub.
I have to say i used to drink in the brockwell Tav and it didnt have NF in there at all, just locals, i used to enjoy the Hamilton too, didnt often go in the commercial as it was mostly our dads in there, so this NF rumour is not anything i know of.

That was the news on the gay grapevine circa 1991-4 - did you drink there then? was it not true? I never dared try.

There was a lot of old guys and one memerable old gal who used to drink regular in the Commercial - that was one of the reasons we used to drink there even though they looked at me like dirt at first. Some of the old guys got friendly and used to talk betting tips with us, very convenient with Tote next door. Was it your dad?

Hammy and Half Moon sadly missed.

How are Herne Hill locals feeling about the Lambeth Contry show - looking forward? dreading it? or just pissed off about the parking?

I'm really glad I live close enough to never have to use a portaloo

How are Herne Hill locals feeling about the Lambeth Contry show - looking forward? dreading it? or just pissed off about the parking?

I'm really glad I live close enough to never have to use a portaloo
I'm hoping that the wind blows most of the noise in your (Herne Hill) direction, or for a minor miracle which'll make the weekend cold enough to be able to keep all the windows shut all day. No offence, like. ;)

The times when it hasn't, near this corner of the park, it's been difficult to make phone calls, watch anything, or listen to anything during the hours that the country show's been open. For an entire weekend. Plus the evening before because of soundchecks. Endurable now that the Brockwell Gate chatterati's complaints seem to be listened to (unike those of us council tenants), hence there aren't music events in the park every other summer weekend, like there used to be.

That's just about guaranteed and it's a real shame.

According to the (now ex-) tenant, Dulwich Estate has bought out the remaining lease of The Half Moon pending its attempt to get the upper floors developed into apartments.

In theory, the pub can re-open when this is complete (estimate 2 years), but as other posters have noted it may be in a different form, or even not at all.

I wrote a piece about it here: http://deserter.co.uk/2014/07/is-herne-hill-finished/

TDR

According to the (now ex-) tenant, Dulwich Estate has bought out the remaining lease of The Half Moon pending its attempt to get the upper floors developed into apartments.

In theory, the pub can re-open when this is complete (estimate 2 years), but as other posters have noted it may be in a different form, or even not at all.

I wrote a piece about it here: http://deserter.co.uk/2014/07/is-herne-hill-finished/

TDR
Cheers for the sad update. I've posted a piece on Brixton Buzz and included a link to your article. http://www.brixtonbuzz.com/2014/07/future-of-the-half-moon-pub-in-herne-hill-in-serious-doubt/

TDR
From the comments I suspect that you can count friendofdorothy amongst your followers :D

Soft Cuffs?

Is that an OTC typo?

And I'm guessing if so, it's in what used to be the Gerty's Gumballs sweet shop that lasted about a month selling £7 Oreo milkshakes?

Think I saw something on the HHF re. Tantalizer - but still some sort of food thing.

Went to the lido for a post work swim - got turned away as it was closed for further admissions (at 6) because of the film screening at nine pm. Not a happy punter. Nothing on the BLU twitter or the lido FB page to say it was closing early.

On the positive, I bumped into Rushy for the first time in a while - nice to see you, new neighbour! Apologies for still being in my swimming togs.

If anyone from the pub knows the funeral plans for Terry, can you let me know please?

Makerspace is about to move home but we'll be in storage for a month or so. What are the options round here for spaces where you can hold a weekly meeting? Church/community halls etc. As close to the railway bridge/station as poss.

Makerspace is about to move home but we'll be in storage for a month or so. What are the options round here for spaces where you can hold a weekly meeting? Church/community halls etc. As close to the railway bridge/station as poss.

Upstairs at the Regent?

I just thought there was a massive fight going on outside, and then realised its the first hostage confrontation scene from Captain Philips being played loudly from the lido.

((poor the somali local kids))

That was the news on the gay grapevine circa 1991-4 - did you drink there then? was it not true? I never dared try.

There was a lot of old guys and one memerable old gal who used to drink regular in the Commercial - that was one of the reasons we used to drink there even though they looked at me like dirt at first. Some of the old guys got friendly and used to talk betting tips with us, very convenient with Tote next door. Was it your dad?

Hammy and Half Moon sadly missed.
sorry for later reply, yes i used to drink in those years in the brockwell tav, it was a bit of a dive, but herne hill was very different then, well the residents were.
It also was the pub to play pool in as it had two tables out the back and one was broken for a while you didn't need to put any money in.
i thought it was a real mix, but can understand you why you wouldnt have gone in it wasnt that friendly but it was'nt nf.
Used to bunk into lido back in the day too.
love country show.

Just had some food from the new(ish) The Cooks' House (by the 37 bus stop). Burmese food apparently. Never been to Burma so can't comment on authenticity, but it was top scoff. Oh, and it was delivered by a man on a bicycle!

Had a pleasant shopping trip to the Sunday street market, which was very busy. Found all the groceries and homeware I needed, and I even left my bike with the bike people to be serviced.

Even Off The Cuff was doing well with their outside tables all taken. No hats were being worn by anybody.

Back
Top Bottom