Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

Time was when every pub in HH (like HH itself) was tired, dull and tatty, but each had their own character and devotees. You could go to the Brockwell Tavern if you wanted a fight or to meet up with your NF mates, the Half Moon or the Regent if you wanted to play pool, or the Commercial if you wanted a clean seat, cheap lunch and to be near the bookies. Over the years I've been a regular in all of them in their various incarnations, but it's becoming less obvious which is which any more.

Current best in show is the Regent, despite the appalling state of the toilets, because it seems finally to have realised that people who just want to go for a pint or two are equally as important as the punters who want to buy dinner, and at least you can sit in the sunshine outside.
Where was the Brockwell Tavern?

Not sure it was a better pub though! In fact, it was so rough that friendofdorothy refused to go in there.

When I moved to Herne Hill (2003) I remember it being basically dead most of the time. I used to go in to play pool on occasions and there were usually just a few old geezers hanging around. Maybe it's previous rep had done for it by then. I wasn't surprised when it became Ganley's anyway.

When I moved to Herne Hill (2003) I remember it being basically dead most of the time. I used to go in to play pool on occasions and there were usually just a few old geezers hanging around. Maybe it's previous rep had done for it by then. I wasn't surprised when it became Ganley's anyway.

There was a period when it seemed that half of HH was barred in succession from all of the pubs in HH - lots of lost souls wandering around unable to remember which pub they were currently barred from.

I ran into Colin Ganley once in Pullen's and was ribbing him about the signwriting on his pub - "Oh, so you're Mr Tangley!" I suspect it wasn't the first time he'd heard it.

Time was when every pub in HH (like HH itself) was tired, dull and tatty, but each had their own character and devotees. You could go to the Brockwell Tavern if you wanted a fight or to meet up with your NF mates, the Half Moon or the Regent if you wanted to play pool, or the Commercial if you wanted a clean seat, cheap lunch and to be near the bookies. Over the years I've been a regular in all of them in their various incarnations, but it's becoming less obvious which is which any more.

Current best in show is the Regent, despite the appalling state of the toilets, because it seems finally to have realised that people who just want to go for a pint or two are equally as important as the punters who want to buy dinner, and at least you can sit in the sunshine outside.

You're missing out Ganley's, for massive Sunday lunches.

And good ales

The Regent wasn't short on NF types either BITD.

And good ales

nice beer yes. and they are always changing - I love the variety but not everyone is as adventurous. but they often run out of whatever ale your drinking,

And the toilets are atrocious! Ideally I want it clean, with paper, soap, locks, and flushes - doesnt happen often in there. Today it was 2/5

nice beer yes. and they are always changing - I love the variety but not everyone is as adventurous. but they often run out of whatever ale your drinking,

And the toilets are atrocious! Ideally I want it clean, with paper, soap, locks, and flushes - doesnt happen often in there. Today it was 2/5
the toilets are… unpredictable.

The Regent wasn't short on NF types either BITD.
Not in my experience. Few bald headed white guys doesn't make it NF. But I've only lived in HH since 1994. I didn't find Regent welcoming but no where was back then to gay people. As a gay woman I knew that Brockwell was unsafe by reputation for many years so I refused to even go there.

Started drinking regularly in Regent in late '90s, when it had the campest 'straight' manager ever, who started quiz nights. Love a pub quiz. Regent seemed more racially mixed than some other pubs then.

Not in my experience. Few bald headed white guys doesn't make it NF. But I've only lived in HH since 1994. I didn't find Regent welcoming but no where was back then to gay people. As a gay woman I knew that Brockwell was unsafe by reputation for many years so I refused to even go there.

Started drinking regularly in Regent in late '90s, when it had the campest 'straight' manager ever, who started quiz nights. Love a pub quiz. Regent seemed more racially mixed than some other pubs then.
Before then back late seventies early eighties was fairly well known for it.(yes I'm as old as the hills).

Well, there is the 'extra' loo in the end cubicle that has never worked to my knowledge. And why is it there? One of life's little mysteries...
It used to. Helpful for mothers and tolders I think, and friends who like to gossip while they piss. It's a useful place to put your handbag.

I didn't actually go, I just got a flyer through a couple of days beforehand. Not sure which streets they posted flyers on though?
Poets Corner Street Party is generally only advertised in the Poets Corner streets - Chaucer, Spenser, Shakespear, Milton and Regents Road too for some historic reason - by flyers through doors /posters. When it was on our road I made sure near by parts of Railton and Dulwich roads were included too. There used to be a link on HH Forum and they do emails to those who want to get involved.

I can remember watching one of the Eubank - Watson fights in the Regent in the early 90s. It was a lively atmosphere shall we say. Not quite the ambience it has today.

I used to go to the Half Moon when I was 18.. they had a good comedy night in the back room - saw Jo Brand and all those impro comedians back when it started to become really popular and they were all starting out. There and the East Dulwich Tavern. Needless to say Herne Hill and Lordship Lane were very very different places then.

I used to go to the Half Moon when I was 18.. they had a good comedy night in the back room - saw Jo Brand and all those impro comedians back when it started to become really popular and they were all starting out. There and the East Dulwich Tavern. Needless to say Herne Hill and Lordship Lane were very very different places then.
I remember going there to watch some friends band back in 80s before I lived anywhere near here. It was rather run down but very lively. They used to show lots of new bands.

They were very supportive of comedians, especially local ones. I was producing a short film with a couple of local comedians about 12 years ago and they let us use the back room all day for £50..

My blokes loos in the Regent are ok, can't say I've ever noticed anything wrong but I don't like the atmosphere in there lately, it seems a bit soulless. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom