Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

A jazz bar in the leafy affluent London suburb of Herne Hill has become the victim of an unprecedented racist attack targeted at its staff.

A vandal painted the phrase “No N*****s” across the front wall of Dee Dee’s Jazz and the Funk in the early hours of Monday morning in what staff believe was a targeted attack by local residents who have been complaining about noise.

Around half of the jazz bar’s staff, including its manager, are black.

The racist slogan was covered with blankets and was painted over by Southwark Council this morning. The police have been called and CCTV footage of the person that painted the slogan will be handed over.

Brook Anderson, who owns the bar, said he believes that a small group of people living in the area want to drive the business out of Herne Hill following a number of complaints – mostly unfounded – about the bar.

He said that he has been told to move the bar to nearby Brixton and out of the residential area.

“I am outraged to be honest. The staff are very upset. Kids, old people in the area – this has frightened everybody. This is not even about black people.

“It’s just racism. If it was in another area, it [the graffiti] would be about polish people or Jewish people. It’s the power that these people think they have that angers me the most,” he told The Times.

The jazz bar is situated on the end of a strip of shops. Attempts to turn the site into a delicatessen and a restaurant have failed in the past but Dee Dee’s has been open for three years and has proved a popular destination due to its comedy and music nights.

Locals have rallied around the bar in the wake of the attack and provided the blankets to cover the text.

Mel Hughes, a long-term resident who lives opposite and regularly visits the bar, said the graffiti had made her feel sick. “When I first saw it, a few of us were just open-mouthed and speechless.”

Max Williams, a freelance writer who has worked behind the bar at Dee Dees, said that the “crude and ugly” graffiti was not indicative of the area. “It’s a shock to see something like this in 2015, especially somewhere as culturally diverse as south London,” he said.

Mr Anderson said he was concerned that the racist attack on his business could deter people from coming to the bar, despite the success of the place over the past three years.

“We’ve worked really hard to make it so that people that cause trouble don’t want to be here,” he said.

Accusations have been laid online against a local teacher who works at the Dulwich Hamlet Junior School. The school has issued a statement denying the involvement of the maths teacher adding that he is on holiday in another part of the country.

Herne Hill has gentrified rapidly over the past decade and has been the subject of sporadic protests over sharp rises in rents that have forced some residents to move out.

Racist graffiti attack at south London jazz bar outrages locals

• pix2_913268c.jpg
Nic Fildes
Last updated at 2:15PM, May 26 2015
A jazz bar in the leafy affluent London suburb of Herne Hill has become the victim of an unprecedented racist attack targeted at its staff.

A vandal painted the phrase “No N*****s” across the front wall of Dee Dee’s Jazz and the Funk in the early hours of Monday morning in what staff believe was a targeted attack by local residents who have been complaining about noise.

Around half of the jazz bar’s staff, including its manager, are black.

The racist slogan was covered with blankets and was painted over by Southwark Council this morning. The police have been called and CCTV footage of the person that painted the slogan will be handed over.

Brook Anderson, who owns the bar, said he believes that a small group of people living in the area want to drive the business out of Herne Hill following a number of complaints – mostly unfounded – about the bar.

He said that he has been told to move the bar to nearby Brixton and out of the residential area.

“I am outraged to be honest. The staff are very upset. Kids, old people in the area – this has frightened everybody. This is not even about black people.

“It’s just racism. If it was in another area, it [the graffiti] would be about polish people or Jewish people. It’s the power that these people think they have that angers me the most,” he told The Times.

The jazz bar is situated on the end of a strip of shops. Attempts to turn the site into a delicatessen and a restaurant have failed in the past but Dee Dee’s has been open for three years and has proved a popular destination due to its comedy and music nights.

Locals have rallied around the bar in the wake of the attack and provided the blankets to cover the text.

Mel Hughes, a long-term resident who lives opposite and regularly visits the bar, said the graffiti had made her feel sick. “When I first saw it, a few of us were just open-mouthed and speechless.”

Max Williams, a freelance writer who has worked behind the bar at Dee Dees, said that the “crude and ugly” graffiti was not indicative of the area. “It’s a shock to see something like this in 2015, especially somewhere as culturally diverse as south London,” he said.

Mr Anderson said he was concerned that the racist attack on his business could deter people from coming to the bar, despite the success of the place over the past three years.

“We’ve worked really hard to make it so that people that cause trouble don’t want to be here,” he said.

Accusations have been laid online against a local teacher who works at the Dulwich Hamlet Junior School. The school has issued a statement denying the involvement of the maths teacher adding that he is on holiday in another part of the country.

Herne Hill has gentrified rapidly over the past decade and has been the subject of sporadic protests over sharp rises in rents that have forced some residents to move out.

Every head teacher I've ever dealt with has been a rambling and irrational loonpot.

They have been more childish than the kids and often less willing to own up to mistakes.

That statement is a shambles...

It makes more sense to me that someone has gone out to make a deliberately offensive remark to discredit Dee Dee's rather than a racist hoping to further racism with some scrawled hate. Unfortunately racists are a lot more subtle. Either way, this guy is fucked.

Every head teacher I've ever dealt with has been a rambling and irrational loonpot.

They have been more childish than the kids and often less willing to own up to mistakes.

That statement is a shambles...

The statement is ridiculous. I don't understand why the comments about the license or photoshopping were neccessary - she could hhave defended her employee without feeling the need to undermine the act itself. That said, if the guy was away from Sunday then it doesnt sound like he was to blame and so he would deserve a bit of sympathy for getting a load of shit off the internet.

The statement is ridiculous. I don't understand why the comments about the license or photoshopping were neccessary - she could hhave defended her employee without feeling the need to undermine the act itself. That said, if the guy was away from Sunday then it doesnt sound like he was to blame and so he would deserve a bit of sympathy for getting a load of shit off the internet.
Surely then a statement from him would be more appropriate.

Don't know... The association with the school makes it of some relevance I'd have thought. But, again, to the extent they need to comment I can only see them needing to address their staff members alleged involvement rather than comment on anything else about the incident.

Yeah that statement needed to begin and end with 'he wasn't here we think'

It's very very misjudged given the circumstances

I don't tell my employer what I do at the weekend...
I guess you may attempt to tell them something if accused of spraying racist graffiti in this way.

The school will know how to get hold of the teacher.

If course what you say and what you did might not be the same thing, but as dibble appears to be involved there is a vague hope this person will be in or out of the investigation

that does have the confirmation that contractors had cleaned it off this morning.

Sonia Case also suggested images of the graffiti might be "photoshopped".

"There is no truth in this terrible story, but unfortunately there are already people posting disturbing and threatening messages on Facebook and Twitter," said a statement shared on Twitter.

"We believe that the picture might have been 'photoshopped'. If the graffiti was real, it is no longer there and we would wish to know when exactly it was applied and then removed."

Southwark Council today confirmed the graffiti was real. Contractors painted over the offensive comment around 9am this morning, a spokeswoman said.

The bar's owner, Brook Anderson, said the CCTV footage showed the incident apparently taking place in the early hours of Monday morning.

"I'm literally lost for words," he told the Standard today. "It's disgusting. I don't know what the purpose of it was.

It appears that a complaint has been made to the police about whoever named the prime suspect and they are investigating that.

I'd hate to think it wasn't this guy, given the way his name has circulated.

Back
Top Bottom