Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hebden Bridge, Todmorden and Mytholmroyd flooded again!

Shirl

European
R.I.P.
Last time was 2012 and here we go again :(
Still raining heavily, river levels still rising and so much water running down off the hills it's just going to keep getting worse until this rain stops :(

1935402_10153890425948117_6785909384697530630_n.jpg

Taken from a friend's balcony above her flooded shop. Two of the shops opposite belong to good friends too.

And Sowerby Bridge.

These are at the bottom of the hill I live at the top of. I'm at Mum's and don't think I can get home. It's horrendous. :(

FB_IMG_1451138675554.jpg FB_IMG_1451138696919.jpg FB_IMG_1451138716756.jpg

It's stopped raining now but the water is still coming down from the moors. More heavy rain forecast though :(

Just had a visit from my friend who owns the wine bar in town. She couldn't get insurance after the last flood. Also just spent £4k on booze for NYE and it's all under water. She can't really salvage anything this time :(

Even Leeds is flooding in places it hasn't before. This is in Meanwood Park in North Leeds:

It's only a tiny beck but it's all come down from the dales to Leeds.

They are saying 9 red alerts in Leeds alone! Must be so scary. It's dark, rain may be coming down or about to come down and flood water from the hills. Will people get flooded tonight, will they loose electricity, will properties be severely damaged, what sort of mess in the morning. I can't imagine what it must be like. Just hope the damage is kept to a minimum and no lives lost.

I think there is more heavy rain to come tonight but at least people will be expecting it. Not that it will make things any better but it may mean that people take more precautions about securing their home or being out and about in this weather.

Shirl hope thinfs aren't as bad as your friend fears. It really is awful.

I keep thinking about the shops in Sowerby Bridge; two of them have only just opened so probably won't be turning a profit yet. This could be them done for. :(

We're off home later so we'll see what it's like there.

Lots of flooding in Leeds, little attention from the BBC etc. Includes the Vue cinema complex, the small Asda, a large newly built retail park that's only been open for a couple of months and housing/businesses along Kirkstall Road - which includes a friend's recording studio (not insured for flooding) and a decent local bike shop.

In 2011 the cunt chancellor cut flood defence funding by 8% and put schemes for Leeds and York on hold (they had to find money from somewhere to cut the 50% tax rate). They're building part of the Leeds scheme at the moment :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom