Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

So, Hebden Bridge. Coolest place to live in Britain

Hebden-Bridge-sign.jpg

See that? That's exactly why I don't live there. Self-satisfied tossers.

Isn't Hebden bridge supposed to be the Lesbian capital of the U.K.? I should point out I'm not trying to offend anyone my entire knowledge of Hebden Bridge comes from the BBC.
It is the lesbian capital of the uk. The vast majority of my friends are lesbian. This makes it a great town to live in because it's so women friendly :)

I live just down the valley in Todmorden. And that's because I couldn't afford Hebden, even 12 years ago. It is increasingly just for the wealthy - some of my low waged friends are starting to really struggle to afford to stay there. And that is a shame, because despite some of the cliches and the occasional wankiness there is something really special about Hebden Bridge. It's acted as a bit of a northern beacon for vaguely alternative types from hippies to ravers as a place to go to when you're the wrong side of 30 but don't quite want to settle down. Party town for the middle aged. And yes, the visibility of lesbians makes it a great place to be gay.

It's one of the friendliest places in the country and I'd still move there like a shot if I could afford it, though Todmorden is perhaps almost Hebden-lite these days.

This place for me! I used to enjoy going to Kingston when we lived over there. And it is on the list of happy places.
Kingston_upon_Tham_1821592i.jpg

I've only been to HB (as it's referred to in Media City) once and I thought it was a bit lovely.
I was however visiting/meeting sojourner and Shirl at the time :cool:

I live just down the valley in Todmorden. And that's because I couldn't afford Hebden, even 12 years ago. It is increasingly just for the wealthy - some of my low waged friends are starting to really struggle to afford to stay there. And that is a shame, because despite some of the cliches and the occasional wankiness there is something really special about Hebden Bridge. It's acted as a bit of a northern beacon for vaguely alternative types from hippies to ravers as a place to go to when you're the wrong side of 30 but don't quite want to settle down. Party town for the middle aged. And yes, the visibility of lesbians makes it a great place to be gay.

It's one of the friendliest places in the country and I'd still move there like a shot if I could afford it, though Todmorden is perhaps almost Hebden-lite these days.

I lived in Todmorden for about 10 years from 1975 to 85. I moved to Burnley for a while then came to Hebden in 1990. I still like Todmorden and regularly go to The Three Wise Monkeys and Hanuman. I like the walk from Hebden to Tod along the canal too.

I lived in Todmorden for about 10 years from 1975 to 85. I moved to Burnley for a while then came to Hebden in 1990. I still like Todmorden and regularly go to The Three Wise Monkeys and Hanuman. I like the walk from Hebden to Tod along the canal too.

I thought you Hebberdidians always tried to dissociate yourselves with the Todderous chavs or is that just my Tory Ex FIL :D
Not all of us. Some of us cringe every time we see that sign
You SO used it in your thread title :D

I like Tod, almost moved there when daughter was born but i was offered a fat job in fucking Runcorn of all places. Shame really as fat job drove me into the ground two years later.

If i could have a gaff anywhere though it would be over the road from the Robin Hood :)

I thought you Hebberdidians always tried to dissociate yourselves with the Todderous chavs or is that just my Tory Ex FIL :D

You SO used it in your thread title :D

I like Tod, almost moved there when daughter was born but i was offered a fat job in fucking Runcorn of all places. Shame really as fat job drove me into the ground two years later.

If i could have a gaff anywhere though it would be over the road from the Robin Hood :)

haha, Tod folk are great, both my sons were born in Tod. (well, the maternity ward was in Burnley but we lived in Tod at the time) :D

Which Robin Hood? The Cragg Vale one?

haha, Tod folk are great, both my sons were born in Tod. (well, the maternity ward was in Burnley but we lived in Tod at the time) :D

Which Robin Hood? The Cragg Vale one?

There's one in Peckett Well as well.

Would prefer the Cragg Vale one myself (if I didn't cycle!)

One of the rumours that Hebden got a lot of press coverage in the floods (more than other places esp oop north) is because a shed load of BBCers have moved there since they relocated to Manchester.

Almost certainly true that. And about Manchester in general. Before the move to Media City, Manchester was rarely mentioned. Now it's there go-to place for opinions that isn't London.

Makes sense for convenience etc, but it would be nice if other places for a look in, too.

Oh and off-topic but forgot to say, Urban Bean is definitely closed! :(

Almost certainly true that. And about Manchester in general. Before the move to Media City, Manchester was rarely mentioned. Now it's there go-to place for opinions that isn't London.

Makes sense for convenience etc, but it would be nice if other places for a look in, too.

Oh and off-topic but forgot to say, Urban Bean is definitely closed! :(

Yeah its sad it was a nice caff. Was forced into BHS cafe t'other day and paid a fortune for unremarkable food

I meant to ask you when I met you in Manchester. Do you know Pada the Irish musician?
Pada Long, yes. I used to be involved with the Cragg Vale Gamelam for a while and he was around then too. I think he's with the Peace Artists isn't he. I wouldn't say I knew him well, we just mixed in the same circles. Nice bloke though :)

Pada Long, yes. I used to be involved with the Cragg Vale Gamelam for a while and he was around then too. I think he's with the Peace Artists isn't he. I wouldn't say I knew him well, we just mixed in the same circles. Nice bloke though :)
Aye that's him he's a top bloke Pada. My wee fella loves him to bits, they have a similar mental age :D We meet up with him every other xmas in Ludfoot through one of my good mates and walk to the Robin Hood across the tops. I did a piece of work with his wife in London a few years ago at the National Art Gallery.
It's the Arts embracing loveliness I love about the bridge. As yer know my ex in-laws are there on Moss Bank and they're lovely folk. I'm really jealous of my kids in that they have their little school holiday sessions in HB. It's like they're evacuees for a few days which is quite apt because that's how both their grandparents ended up in the valley :)

You've made me thirsty for a pint now Shirl :)

Go and 'ave a pint then chuck. :D
Make sure you find time for a pint with me wolfie next time you're about :)

I too am only a few hills away! machine cat where are you?

Shirl, been meaning to ask you, can you recommend any nice walks in Hebden? That are doable with a pushchair?
What kind of pushchair have you got, if it's one of those three big wheel jobbies a walk in the crags would be good. I'd come with you :)

It's a Silver Cross one. It's a big old beast but it doesn't handle all that well.

Could give it a go though. When it warms up and her parents can bear to let her out of their sight you could bring your granddaughter too :)

Back
Top Bottom