Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Having dog put to sleep-how do you know?

We had Lucy put to sleep today. We saw the vet a couple of weeks ago for a meds review and she said we probably had a month or so before she started to decline. Although we’re fairly sure she wasn’t in pain, she was uncomfortable and was slowing down.

It was planned, really peaceful and as good as it could be.
Fucking gutted, leaving her at the vets was horrendous. We’re having her cremated then we’ll do some scattering. Beach, heath, the stream where she nearly drowned. 😄

View attachment 337206

RIP Lucy ❤

Lots of love Looby and Mr Looby
Sorry for your loss 💓

We had Lucy put to sleep today. We saw the vet a couple of weeks ago for a meds review and she said we probably had a month or so before she started to decline. Although we’re fairly sure she wasn’t in pain, she was uncomfortable and was slowing down.

It was planned, really peaceful and as good as it could be.
Fucking gutted, leaving her at the vets was horrendous. We’re having her cremated then we’ll do some scattering. Beach, heath, the stream where she nearly drowned. 😄

View attachment 337206
Oh Looby I’m so sorry for your loss. It’s never easy, however smoothly you make the process they leave a big gap. Love and condolences to you and yours
Fun free and Rest in peace Lucy

Thanks everyone. We’ve cried a lot and it feels like we’ve been grieving for 6 months so I do think we’ll start to feel better now.

Despite coming to us because she apparently growled at or bit a child (conflicting info) she was the sweetest, most gentle girl. I feel so lucky to have had her in my life for 11 years and this shitty bit is the payoff isn’t it.

The boys were both super affectionate last night and I guess it’ll be weird for them too. Albert hasn’t spent more than a couple of hours without her in all the time we’ve had her.

Beautiful girl, she had a fantastic life with you and you really looked after her up to and including the time that was appropriate to say goodbye and make sure she didn't suffer.

It's always a horrible thing, but knowing that you gave her a really good life will I hope see you through the inevitable sorrow. Definitely ok to have a cry and a wail though, I fucking cried myself stupid when I've had to have cats put down. It's always a dreadful thing to go through.

It’s been weird but actually ok the last few days. Albert has seemed really sad. 😞

My friends are visiting so that’s been a good distraction. Then this morning we got a card from our vet with Lucy’s footprint so that’s made me cry but is very sweet.
Butternut box also sent us flowers.

I guess the next kick in the stomach will be collecting the ashes and scattering them.

We’re planning a camping trip in September which we couldn’t have done otherwise. It’ll be nice to get away with the chuckle brothers.

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss.

In answer to the main thread question, dogs tend to rapidly decline when it's actually 'time', as in suddenly can't eat, drink or even raise their head. If tails are still wagging, it's probably not yet time for the vet.

Don't forget most vets will come to your house or out to your car if you have one, to save carrying your pet into the surgery for the final event.

So sorry for your loss Looby 🥀
That final act of kindness we have to do for them really is the most heartbreaking part of sharing your life with a much loved pet.
We go into it knowing one day this will happen, but the pure unconditional love and loyalty you receive back over the years is such a small price to pay when the end comes.
Take care and give your other two lots of snuggly love and kisses, they are hurting too 🌈

Sorry for your loss. It's horrible, but consider that not only were your lives enriched by having Lucy in them but hers was enriched by you being in it. Or vice versa.

Back
Top Bottom