Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hackney chitter-chatter &tc

DotCommunist the view from hackney.
Building for swanky apartments truly underway.
View attachment 431885
does this mean the gasholders are going? When my county went bankrupt the cunts they sent in to manage the wreckage dismantled our northampton ones for an 'enterprise zone'. There is currently nothing on that land, there is it seems like a strain of tory that despises industrial heritage of any kind.

Fun fact for kings x -> they actually dismantled them in kings cross, shipped them to germany for refurb, then re-assembled them 200m north of their original location. Then built dwellings inside them.
My mate looks after the roof gardens.

does this mean the gasholders are going? When my county went bankrupt the cunts they sent in to manage the wreckage dismantled our northampton ones for an 'enterprise zone'. There is currently nothing on that land, there is it seems like a strain of tory that despises industrial heritage of any kind.
Going out on one here, but robbing a people of its cultural and industrial heritage is quite a right wing neoliberal strategy to apply. To leave people with a more 'meaningless' and washed down understanding or connotation of what culture and heritage means, eg 'british values' and 'what seperates them from us'.
On a more global scale this can be seen in recent conflict situations...from iraq via afghanistan, to yemen, syria and gaza...to rob a people of its cultural heritage leaves people with little to passionately defend or fight for.

Bur that's nothing new. Intersting how it is applied to a more localised class war by neoliberal powers though.

DotCommunist the view from hackney.
Building for swanky apartments truly underway.
View attachment 431885
Yes, I've passed by a few times and noticed the progress.
I'm sure the gasometers are not going anywhere, I went to an open display by the developers in the Oval some time ago now to find out what was planned and they did say they would be retained. It will be interesting to see how it all turns out.

Going out on one here, but robbing a people of its cultural and industrial heritage is quite a right wing neoliberal strategy to apply. To leave people with a more 'meaningless' and washed down understanding or connotation of what culture and heritage means, eg 'british values' and 'what seperates them from us'.
On a more global scale this can be seen in recent conflict situations...from iraq via afghanistan, to yemen, syria and gaza...to rob a people of its cultural heritage leaves people with little to passionately defend or fight for.

Bur that's nothing new. Intersting how it is applied to a more localised class war by neoliberal powers though.
No I get it. The forever now. Here's a statue tucked away and a plaque. Northampton has a long history of smashing up historical buildings and civic architecture in general. The castle was demolished late 18th iirc.

I think in some ways the population density in bigger city sized places has been able to preserve the old uns thru loads of people not having it when the developer scum move in. e2a to limited, local and contingent effectiveness obvs

Here is the Carlsberg brewery in Northampton. When I lived near it when the wind was right you would get this big horlicks waft on the air. It is a beauty and when they do, inevitably, remodel it for flats I will be as gutted as i was to watch the brutalist bus station go down to ruin.

1720147238205.jpeg

When I saw, years ago now what Damascus had been turned into. Rubble and wreck. I felt so angry and then guilty for not thinking first of the people under the rubble. Damascus can be built again, has been many times , its what? 2000 yrs old? Those poor bastards under the wreckage can't ever come back.

Rambling, forgive me. But erasure, yes. You never were. At least my old ways are just being inexorably eroded by progress of fucking progress. Rather than erased by heavy ordnance, Guernica on steroids aerial bombing and kill teams

I've wandered off a bit again but heres a poem, not mine but the damascus and gaza thoughts recalled it to me:

'who remembers the Armenians'

I remember them
and I ride the nightmare bus with them
each night
and my coffee this morning, I'm drinking it with them

You, murderer-
Who remembers you?

Last edited:
No I get it. The forever now. Here's a statue tucked away and a plaque. Northampton has a long history of smashing up historical buildings and civic architecture in general. The castle was demolished late 18th iirc.

I think in some ways the population density in bigger city sized places has been able to preserve the old uns thru loads of people not having it when the developer scum move in. e2a to limited, local and contingent effectiveness obvs

Here is the Carlsberg brewery in Northampton. When I lived near it when the wind was right you would get this big horlicks waft on the air. It is a beauty and when they do, inevitably, remodel it for flats I will be as gutted as i was to watch the brutalist bus station go down to ruin.

View attachment 431993

When I saw, years ago now what Damascus had been turned into. Rubble and wreck. I felt so angry and then guilty for not thinking first of the people under the rubble. Damascus can be built again, has been many times , its what? 2000 yrs old? Those poor bastards under the wreckage can't ever come back.

Rambling, forgive me. But erasure, yes. You never were. At least my old ways are just being inexorably eroded by progress of fucking progress. Rather than erased by heavy ordnance, Guernica on steroids aerial bombing and kill teams

I've wandered off a bit again but heres a poem, not mine but the damascus and gaza thoughts recalled it to me:

'who remembers the Armenians'

I remember them
and I ride the nightmare bus with them
each night
and my coffee this morning, I'm drinking it with them

You, murderer-
Who remembers you?
Who is the poet?

So Diane Abbot got 60% of the vote, down 10%, the Green was second. Who the fuck were the 1283 people who voted for Reform though???

Meg Hillier also 60% ish, down 14%, again a Green in second.

So Diane Abbot got 60% of the vote, down 10%, the Green was second. Who the fuck were the 1283 people who voted for Reform though???
My guess is ultra tories who hate ULEZ and all that. Cross class alliance of people wedded to their cars or vans. Plus some saddoes who got sucked into the GBnews thing in the lockdown.

Mainly old and white? I’m also surprised by the number.

My guess is ultra tories who hate ULEZ and all that. Cross class alliance of people wedded to their cars or vans. Plus some saddoes who got sucked into the GBnews thing in the lockdown.

Mainly old and white? I’m also surprised by the number.

Dunno about Reform, but lets not forget that the tories scored 53% in Jan 24's by election in Cazenove ward. (Admittedly a tiny ward with a very conservative demographic, but still unexpected for Hackney).

Reactions: Sue
and in this week's by-election in the same council ward, Tories only narrowly lost by 136 votes.

Labour saved by a much higher turnout due to coinciding with the Westminster general election?

Here are the full results in order of votes received:
Patrick Pinkerton, Labour Party, 1,974
Hershi Moskovits, Conservative Party, 1,838
Tamara Micner, Green Party, 1,170
Ken Gabbott-Rolph, Liberal Democrats, 150
Faisal Riyaj Ibji, Independent, 147

and in this week's by-election in the same council ward, Tories only narrowly lost by 136 votes.

Labour saved by a much higher turnout due to coinciding with the Westminster general election?
Yes, exactly.

I think overall there will be a change in voting patterns in the Borough because Diane is going to step down and there won’t be the same affection for her successor.

And I assume that gradually the richer incomers and expanding orthodox Jewish population will see a shift away from Labour too.

Yes, exactly.

I think overall there will be a change in voting patterns in the Borough because Diane is going to step down and there won’t be the same affection for her successor.

And I assume that gradually the richer incomers and expanding orthodox Jewish population will see a shift away from Labour too.
I’d imagine most “richer incomers” vote Labour at the moment, hence the results in Chelsea and Fulham and everywhere else in London.
This just looks like jewish people voting for the orthodox Jewish Conservative candidate.

Back
Top Bottom