Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hackney chitter-chatter &tc

Still a bit confused by all this lot, but not directly affected myself:

New Parliamentary constituencies​

Constituency boundaries are reviewed periodically to make sure that constituencies are all roughly a similar size and respect local ties between areas.

New Parliamentary constituency boundaries come into effect at the UK Parliamentary general election taking place on Thursday 4 July.

Hackney will consist of four Parliamentary constituencies:

• Hackney North and Stoke Newington (wholly within the London Borough of Hackney)
  • Hackney South and Shoreditch (wholly within the London Borough of Hackney)
  • Islington South and Finsbury – the ward in this constituency is De Beauvoir (cross-boundary with the London Borough of Islington)
  • Tottenham – the wards in this constituency are Woodberry Down and Brownswood (cross-boundary with the London Borough of Haringey)
The following changes have also been made:

• King’s Park ward is now in the Hackney North and Stoke Newington constituency
  • Dalston ward is now in the Hackney South and Shoreditch constituency

Still a bit confused by all this lot, but not directly affected myself:

New Parliamentary constituencies​

Constituency boundaries are reviewed periodically to make sure that constituencies are all roughly a similar size and respect local ties between areas.

New Parliamentary constituency boundaries come into effect at the UK Parliamentary general election taking place on Thursday 4 July.

Hackney will consist of four Parliamentary constituencies:

• Hackney North and Stoke Newington (wholly within the London Borough of Hackney)
  • Hackney South and Shoreditch (wholly within the London Borough of Hackney)
  • Islington South and Finsbury – the ward in this constituency is De Beauvoir (cross-boundary with the London Borough of Islington)
  • Tottenham – the wards in this constituency are Woodberry Down and Brownswood (cross-boundary with the London Borough of Haringey)
The following changes have also been made:

• King’s Park ward is now in the Hackney North and Stoke Newington constituency
  • Dalston ward is now in the Hackney South and Shoreditch constituency
That's really shit, I've been bumped back to having Meg hillier as my mp. Better than if I'd stayed where I used to live,which will now be represented by the foul Emily Thornberry. But not much.

A bit confusing, are Woodberry Down and Brownswood now in Haringey then?
De Beauvoir in Islington (part of it is already I think)?
Doesn't affect me but I wonder what those residents will think!

A bit confusing, are Woodberry Down and Brownswood now in Haringey then?
De Beauvoir in Islington (part of it is already I think)?
No, they're still in lb Hackney for purposes of local government but for purposes of Parliamentary representation are lumped in to a constituency almost exclusively representing electors in Haringey.

It would make much more sense for parliamentary borders to march with borough borders. If thornberry's new constituents have trouble with lb Hackney, as many on the large estates there may, the relationships she no doubt had with people in lb Islington will avail them not a jot.
I believe it used to be the case that parliamentary constituencies followed borough boundaries, and for most of the 25+ years I've lived in Tottenham each of the boroughs of Haringey, Hackney and Islington were simply divided in two to get the parliamentary constituencies.

I can only assume that this redrawing of boundaries is something to do with population changes and an attempt to maintain equal population across constituencies, but as you say its both confusing and unhelpful.

Don't imagine many of the residents of Woodberry Down and Brownswood wards will be happy about having the MP for Tottenham representing them.

as a resident, I do see it as a bit of a annoyance.
knowing that Lammy (or whoever succeeds him) will have 99% of his dealings with council level stuff with Haringey so even with the best will in the world will inevitably neglect the couple hundred of us in Brownswood / Woodberry Down.

it doesn't really make sense practically, but somebody needed to be chopped off to even out the headcount. and we've got the short straw.

but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

and at least can avoid the drama in either of the neighbouring constituencies (Corbyn or Abbot) and have a very boring election.

Stoke Newington local historian Amir Dotan has been documenting the histories of the shops in Church Street over the years and has now published a booklet, partly sponsored by some of the local businesses, which I believe will be available to pick up for free in certain places.

He also runs the Stoke Newington History FB page which is very interesting.

Stoke Newington local historian Amir Dotan has been documenting the histories of the shops in Church Street over the years and has now published a booklet, partly sponsored by some of the local businesses, which I believe will be available to pick up for free in certain places.

oooh 22 years check him out - NEWB GENTRIFIER :mad: ;)

I picked up one from him last week , it's an interesting book , although it is more a series of lists , it's calling out for a book showing pictures or artist impressions of the many businesses that have been on that street.

oooh 22 years check him out - NEWB GENTRIFIER :mad: ;)
thinking about it (without having read his book), there are a few shops and businesses that have been there for 20+ years. Dinos, wholefood, that rasta shop, the fruit and veg shop, the african / caribbean shop, a few pubs, etc.
I don't really know about the newer / ever changing ones - I just blend them out. None of them concern me, at least not as a customer.

I think Dino's has been there the longest? I love the old photos they have in the window!

Wholefoods was a Fresh and Wild shop originally, Wholefoods took them over.

Yes, just read about the fire :( I think one person has been treated for smoke inhalation, hopefully that's all.

Re the shooting at the restaurant, someone I know told me yesterday that a Turkish Cypriot friend had told her the same.

Reactions: Sue
It’s on.

Re the fire on Dalston Lane yesterday - look at the roof damage!

Always feel for the Housing staff , having to place so many people in temporary accommodation is quite a challenge. I was involved in doing that after a relatively minor fire (block of 12) only 2 flats (the two top flats) were damaged by the fire , the other 10 were water damaged.

Bloody hell, that outloons the yogic flying lot by several orders of magnitude.
Nowt wrong with a bit of…

Drawing inspiration from the Deleuzian notion of 'Assemblage,' which emphasises fluidity and connectivity, a future is envisioned, where musical performance seamlessly intertwines with and shapes the fabric of society, rather than existing as a separate entity part form it.

…Silas!

Back
Top Bottom