Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gypsy Tart

My Mum tried to make it once; it turned out all runny, so she must have gone wrong somewhere....:confused:

Can I just put in a vote for bannoffee pie if we're talking condensed milk?

I haven't had gypsy tart but I like the sound of it :cool:

Can I just put in a vote for bannoffee pie if we're talking condensed milk?

I haven't had gypsy tart but I like the sound of it :cool:
No, because it tastes better made with dulce du (or is it de?) leche... I know it is essentially the same thing, but it tastes different, I promise :D

I've never had gypsy tart, and didn't grow up in Kent or Aberdeen.

No, because it tastes better made with dulce du (or is it de?) leche... I know it is essentially the same thing, but it tastes different, I promise :D

If you put condensed milk in its can into a pan of boiling water for X amount of time, doesn't it turn into dulce de/du leche? That's what my mum used to do. I shall have to do some research but right now I'm going to bed.

As I live in Kent and I have some pastry in the freezer, I might make some gypsy tart tomorrow. In a why the fuck not sort of way

Ahem....

Gypsy Tart is made with EVAPORATED milk, NOT condensed!

(Urgh - that'd be WAAAAY TOO sweet! *holds teeth* :eek: :D )

Oh shit, I followed the only recipe on the web with the wrong ingredients. She's going to kill me.

I'll have to make something else. Biddly, how do you make this MILF's trifle? :D

If you put condensed milk in its can into a pan of boiling water for X amount of time, doesn't it turn into dulce de/du leche? That's what my mum used to do. I shall have to do some research but right now I'm going to bed.
dulce de leche taste more caramelly to me for some reason, but yeh they are the same thing :D

Oh shit, I followed the only recipe on the web with the wrong ingredients. She's going to kill me.

I'll have to make something else. Biddly, how do you make this MILF's trifle? :D
oops :D

mother in law, not MILF :eek: and I've not asked :hmm:

:D

I'm sure it'll still be eatable! Just EVEN MORE SICKLY than it already is! :D

Don't say anything and see if she notices! ;)

Just Googled, ringo - and you appear to have made a BUTTERSCOTCH tart, so all is not lost! :D

Although the one recipe I looked at only has 150g of muscavado to a tin of condensed milk (for a 20cm case) as opposed to over twice the amount used with evaporated milk for a gypsy tart, so yeah, dependent on the amount of sugar you used, it'll possibly just be much sweeter!

Well, I've fessed up and offered to make another one but she says I shouldn't bother and we'll just have an extra sweet gypsy/butterscotch tart, but with extra thick double cream to mask the sweetness. :D

Next year she's getting MILF's trifle.

My Mum tried to make it once; it turned out all runny, so she must have gone wrong somewhere....:confused:

My Mum regularly does this with any number of desserts but especially syllabubs, lemon posset and eton mess! She generally masks her failure by adding copious amounts of alcohol to whatever she's made.

Well, I've fessed up and offered to make another one but she says I shouldn't bother and we'll just have an extra sweet gypsy/butterscotch tart, but with extra thick double cream to mask the sweetness. :D

Next year she's getting MILF's trifle.

I want a MILF's trifle :D

The best Sticky toffee pudding I've yet tasted is the one they served for school dinners back in the 80s and 90s and that did not contain anything as fancy as Dulche duLeche.

In fact I still have the recipe, copied fathfully from the official school dinner book of the former Grampian Regional Council (Aberdeen Division). I think I may have also posted it here.

Does it still taste as good as it did back then? I'm always curious to find out if people are correct when they say something they grew up with was the best they've ever tasted.

It often seems like some kind of nostalgia has crept in, like when people view what were often desperate time as a 'golden age', or can be attributed to a dish which shaped a person's tastes and therefore becomes the standard by which everything which follows must be measured against. Usually the recipe/cook has long since disappeared and no real comparison can be made.

The best Sticky toffee pudding I've yet tasted is the one they served for school dinners back in the 80s and 90s and that did not contain anything as fancy as Dulche duLeche.

In fact I still have the recipe, copied fathfully from the official school dinner book of the former Grampian Regional Council (Aberdeen Division). I think I may have also posted it here.
Since when did codensed milk become fancy - I'm just lazy and buy it already caramelled ;)

Hang on, hang on. You think you may have posted it here? You haven't been back and searched every post and checked? Hoisted by your own petard Pogo!
:D

Can I be the only one who doesn't want to trifle with a MILF :D
Maybe it's because I am firmly on the side of semolina. It is lush in the extreme and I last ate it on Tuesday. I'd reckon I make it about twice or three times a month. Fie to the naysayers.

I still don't have the MIL's trifle recipe, but need to ask a question about gypsy tart... would putting blueberries in make it a bit weird?

Back
Top Bottom